1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gender Gap in Church Choirs

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by FR7 Baptist, Nov 15, 2011.

1. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think there are a lot of factors for this, and it varies from church to church. I've been in some churches that have had great choirs and have had plenty of men involved.

Unfortunately I think there are a number of possible reasons why men are not more involved. I agree with a lot of the reasons that have already been mentioned but I wanted to add a couple of extra from what I've seen. These are things I have just noticed being from different churches, it may or may not be the this way where you are. First, it seems to be that women are more likely to think they can sing well when they might not be able to, and men are more likely to think they can't sing even though they might be able to. Also throw in that a lot of church music is 4 part, and most guys aren't really tenors or basses and the difficulty of singing harmony. Secondly, choir for some churches seems to be more of a hang out/gossip session than an actual music rehearsal. I think for a lot of guys this tends to put them off. Lastly, in a number of churches I've been in men are simply involved in a number of different areas and they don't have the time for, or the other the areas conflict with, choir.

#21 RG2, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
  2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

The singing largely depends on the culture of the region. In Louisville, where singing was seen as a permissable act by men, many did, and well! (And in a good number of churches!) Sons grew up thinking that singing in church was normal and so they did as well.

In Wisconsin, where only men drunk enough at the bar will sing drinking songs, the atmosphere is not quite so conducive and few men sing in church. Most men would rather be caught dead than sing in front of someone there. If one's son sings, he is probably examined for signs of gayness...

Major cultural differences that play out in church practice.

3. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, my comment WAS tongue in cheek, but only to a point.

I also detest Jesus-is-my-boyfriend music, and I am female.

But I do from time to time run into MEN in SBC churches blaming the WOMEN for sissifying church.

Good grief, men, if you believe you are supposed to be leading, get up off your duffs and LEAD.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

No doubt...

I agree with your sentiment that men should lead. I disagree that it is all men's fault. I can picture any number of scenarios based in actual events where men have attempted to lead and they have been roundly chastised by women for doing so. We're supposed to be leaders, sure, but we're also not THAT stupid. If we get yelled at for leading the way men lead by women who would rather lead by de facto permission and passive aggressive behaviors, then we'll indeed just hang out by the back door and let women do all the heavy lifting.

Had a classical example of just what I'm talking about last weekend. I am in the process of being called to a church as pastor. I was speaking to my in-laws about some of the challenges that I face in going to a church that is struggling. My MIL said that I should just get in there and do what I had to do. I reminded her that if I came to her church and did that, that SHE would be the first one to stop me fresh in my tracks and start the process to oust me from the church. She could not deny that and was rather red-faced (and, she and a few other long-timer women have done EXACTLY that with multiple ministers sent to her church (other than Baptist). I asked her why I should be successful with someone else, but never get away with it at her church. She had to admit that perhaps I actually knew what I was talking about, but she didn't like it -- AND -- I paid for the conversation all the rest of the day. :wavey:

One thing that should be made clear. Men are not just hairy, oversized women. We have different priorities, different sense of style and decorum, and we operate in a language based in respect, not love. Yet, we are expected to please the women who, for the most part, have run the church for decades, even while hauling their men in tow behind them and chastising them for not meeting their needs along the way. No wonder we struggle!