1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

General questions about Baptism

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Zoychi, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Zoychi

Zoychi New Member

Faith:
    Seeking Christ
    Hello. I am gathering information for a school project about different religions and would appreciate if someone could share their personal opinion on the following questions about Baptism Religion overall:

-Have you been born in Baptism or have you join the Church from a different confession? If joined, what is the main difference from your prior religion?

-Do you accept other religions?

-Do you accept religions that do not accept Baptism?

-What would be your advice to someone who wants to join the Church?

-Is having a spouse in a different religion accepted?

-Why Baptist Church?

Thank you!

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    [1] I don't have a "prior religion". I put my faith in Jesus Christ at an early age and have been a Christian to this day. I am 59.

[2] I do not accept the tenets of other religions, but I do have some Muslim friends and a Mormon friend. I love them and pray for them often. They need Jesus Christ, they know where I stand, and I will continue to pray for them.

[3] Do you mean denominations that to not accept baptism? I don't know of any in the Christian faith - however some Christians baptize by sprinkling and some by immersion under water. The Bible teaches the latter.

[4] Advice on joining the church. The first step is to be saved from your sins. Acknowledge your sin and it's disgust before a holy God. Accept that the only remedy is God's sending his son Jesus Christ to die for you. Place your faith in Jesus Christ, submit to him, and obey his commands.

[5] Having a spouse of a different belief system will be difficult. The Bible says not to be "unequally yoked". Which religion will you teach the chlldren?

[6] Why a Baptist church? I didn't chose a Baptist church. I joined the church where I was saved and gave my life to Jesus Christ. That just happened to be a Baptist church.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believe that Believers Baptism is what scriptures indicate, but would not say that someone who was infant baptized must be if now saved,,,

Would say that Christianity is the only salvation religion, and that one should be married to a fellow Christian!

4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pesonally I was a convert to believe in Jesus Christ as Savior in 1962. A Baptist church did door to door (Acts of the Apostles 20:20) invitations to their church. My Mom allowed my sister and I to visit their church the next Sunday.
    Before the Sunday morning service two adults, a man and a woman came to me sitting in a pew and asked me, if I would like to know for sure if I were to die that I would go to heaven. Of course I said yes. And going through 8 Bible verses showed me how.
    Romans 3:10
    Romans 3:23
    Romans 5:`12
    Romans 6:23
    Romans 5:8
    Romans 10:9
    Romans 10:13
    Revelation 3:20
    Those are the verses without their explanations they gave me. And I recieve the Lord Jesus Christ as my Savior. And I have known God since.

Some time later, about a year or so, I was immersed (baptized). It is called believers baptism.

As a young adult in 1970 I became a member of that Baptist church.

#4 37818, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm so sorry, but I am having trouble answering these questions. Were the original instructions written in English? How much research have you done so far?

I am willing to help you. I have done some tutoring. Some of my students did not speak English well.

Baptist is a denomination of Christianity. Do you understand what that means?

Chris·ti·an·i·ty
    noun
    1. religion that follows Jesus Christ's teachings: the religion based on the life, teachings, and example of Jesus Christ
    2. holding of Christian beliefs: the fact of holding Christian beliefs or of being a Christian
    3. Christians as group: all Christian people considered as a group

Chris·tian
    noun (plural Chris·tians)
    1. believer in Jesus Christ as savior: somebody whose religion is Christianity
    adjective
    1. from teachings of Jesus Christ: based on or relating to a belief in Jesus Christ as the Son of God and the Messiah, and acceptance of his teachings, contained in the Gospels
    2. relating to Christianity: relating to Christianity, or belonging to or maintained by a Christian organization, especially a church
    3. kind and unselfish: showing qualities such as kindness, helpfulness, and concern for others

Bap·tist
    (plural Bap·tists)
    noun
    member of Protestant denomination: a member of a Protestant denomination that baptizes people by total immersion when they are old enough to understand and declare their faith

bap·tism
    (plural bap·tisms)
    noun
    1. rite of purification: a religious ceremony in which somebody is sprinkled with or immersed in water to symbolize purification. In some Christian baptisms, the person is named as well as being accepted into the Christian faith.
    2. initiation or naming ceremony: a ceremony that serves as an initiation or naming ritual

de·nom·i·na·tion
    (plural de·nom·i·na·tions)
    noun
    1. religious grouping: a religious grouping within a faith that has its own system of organization

Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

7. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither one of these actually fits what happened to me.

In 1978 I heard the preaching of God's word in a Baptist church in my area.
    I believed the words I heard, which described my situation before God and my need for a Saviour;
    I was baptized by immersion that same week and began to confess Christ as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by "born in baptism", unless you are referring to the Roman Catholic church's teaching of "baptismal regeneration" where the Holy Spirit enters a person during the baptismal ceremony, which is administered by sprinkling or pouring of water on a person.
    I personally do not hold to that.

To answer the underlined:
    I do know of some on here who have come into the spiritual body of Christ from many different directions...
    Some from other professing Christian denominations, and some from others of the world's religions.

8. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As having or leading to eternal life?
    No, I do not.
    As being Biblical and adhering to God's word?
    I'm sorry, but no, I do not.
    The first thing that I would ask them is,
    "Have you believed on Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins through believing the word of God?"

If they cannot answer that, then I would politely invite them to come back when they have done so...
    As the Bible tells us that it is by His word and by His power that we come into a relationship with Him in this life ( James 1:18 ).
    Not according to God's word:

" Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
    15 and what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
    16 and what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in [them]; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
    17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,
    18 and will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."
    ( 2 Corinthians 6:14-18 ).

In addition, if the spouse is not a believer, I think that it would make the relationship very difficult.
    I do see in God's word where it happened or was spoken of, but I do not see it as the ideal in any sense.

9. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a Scriptural "baptist" and hold to many of the historical Baptist distinctives, as I see these in the Scriptures when I read them for myself.
    For example:

1) I am convinced of "believer's baptism" which is immersion in water.
    This comes after a heartfelt confession of faith in Christ following a person's belief of God's word during the preaching of it ( Acts of the Apostles 8:35-38 ).

2) The autonomy of the local assembly of Christ's called out ones who are not responsible to, or fall under, the authority of any organization other than themselves with regard to their faith and practice.
    3) The authority of Scripture alone in matters of both doctrine and practice.
    4) All members of the local assembly are baptized, professing believers who exhibit the marks of the indwelling Spirit of God.
    5) I see the Scriptures teaching the priesthood of all believers, in that no one of us has to go through a priest for either confession of sins or for any particular blessing that The Lord God may bestow upon His children. We have direct access to His throne of grace through Jesus Christ and no one else. He is our only Mediator.
    6) Religious liberty in the context of church/state control. In other words, if someone wants to worship God in another fashion, they are free to do so without persecution from either myself or others. They will not be allowed into fellowship with us, but we will not persecute them for their choices.
    7) Congregational governance of the assembly of believers through God-appointed elders, who watch over them in matters of doctrine and rule wisely in matters of their being built up in the faith. Elders keep the assembly from getting out of order, keep things like disagreements from getting out of hand, and otherwise help everything to be orderly during their time together.

You are most welcome.

#9 Dave G, Nov 22, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1