1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Generational Curses

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Sularis, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Sularis

Sularis Member

One of my co-workers is strongly into believing this - and i get the impression that the rest of my co-workers accept this as well

To me this a horrid doctrine - a stench unto the heavens that something can get beneath the blood of Christ

I admit Im close-minded on this issue - but i would like to hear from both sides

2. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Exodus 20:5. "You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Exodus 34:7. who keeps lovingkindness for thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, visiting the iniquity of fathers on the children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations."

Numbers 14:18. 'The LORD is slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, forgiving iniquity and transgression; but He will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generations. '

Deuteronomy 5:9. 'You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Compare:

2 Kings 10:30. The LORD said to Jehu, "Because you have done well in executing what is right in My eyes, and have done to the house of Ahab according to all that was in My heart, your sons of the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel."

2 Kings 15:12. This is the word of the LORD which He spoke to Jehu, saying, "Your sons to the fourth generation shall sit on the throne of Israel." And so it was.

(All Scriptures: NASB, 1995)

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

When you are Born Again, every curse is broken over your life, to suggest otherwise is Gnostiscm.

John 8:36 "If the Son has made you Free, you shall be Free Indeed".

Romans 8:1 "For there is NO condemnation to those in Christ Jesus".

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

On the board I administered for 5 years before coming here, we had women who thought they couldn't help 'cheating on their husbands' because their great aunt Suzie had died at sea and wasn't buried properly or their cousin had lost a baby and didn't give it a proper burial. Great Grandfather brought curses on their families because he had molested one of his girls, etc. They had prayers like the Mormons have for the forgiveness of the sins of their ancestors. They took ONE verse of scripture out of context to 'prove' they could do this.

Generational curses as are being taught above, are being used as 'excuses' for our own sinful nature and are not scriptural.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think they are nonsense. Family issues do affect others, just like other kinds of environments do. But they are not determinative.

6. Word Traveler

Word Traveler New Member

Amen! And Amen! [​IMG] The consequences of my sins may well effect my children, but as a born again believer, I am "free" of all "condemnation". It's interesting to note that Deuteronomy 5:9 ends with ". . . all who hate me." Obviously nonbelievers. In Christ, WT [​IMG]

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Curses in the Bible are judgments of God; the Bible does not teach that people can curse (other than the prophets that God used to bring judgment).

It's ridiculous that Christians get so focused on this, even to the point of fear, but popular authors like Neil Anderson, Martin Bubeck, and Bill Gothard teach this. Their writings have a lot of flaws in this area (and in some others). Don't let someone mislead you just because they are a popular author or teacher. That does not mean they are right.

8. Sularis

Sularis Member

See but then I post

Ezekiel 18:20 - The person who sins is the one who will die. A son won't suffer punishment for the father's iniquity, and a father won't suffer punishment for the son's iniquity. The righteousness of the righteous person will be on him, and the wickedness of the wicked person will be on him.

Deuteronomy 24:16 - "Fathers are not to be put to death for [their] children or children for [their] fathers; each person will be put to death for his own sin.

Jeremiah 31:29-30 - "In those days, it will never again be said: The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge. Rather, each will die for his own wrongdoing. Anyone who eats sour grapes-his own teeth will be set on edge

Galatians 6:5-8 - 5 For each person will have to carry his own load. 6 The one who is taught the message must share his goods with the teacher. 7 Don't be deceived: God is not mocked. For whatever a man sows he will also reap, 8 because the one who sows to his flesh will reap corruption from the flesh, but the one who sows to the Spirit will reap eternal life from the Spirit.

1 John 5:18-19 - We know that everyone who has been born of God does not sin, but the One who is born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.
    We know that we are of God, and the whole world is under the sway of the evil one.

2Kings 14
    2Chron 25:4

Matthew 18:3 - "I assure you," He said, "unless you are converted and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Romans 5:13 - In fact, sin was in the world before the law, but sin is not charged to one's account when there is no law.

Romans 7:9 - Once I was alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life

9. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

I have to agree, I have to think that we are Judged according to our own merits. :D ...

But, it does explain the decay of society today if they can blame the problems of thier lives on the people of the past.

That is too much like passing the buck for me. And, it's one thing I cannot and will not do. If I did it, I'm going to pay for it and people in my fmaily from WAYYYYYY back.. Aren't effecting me now. It's my CHOICE To sin, no one elses.

10. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither Jesus nor any of the apostles taught generational curses. They were for Israel under the old covenant. Now, if anyone is in Christ he or she is a new creation. Old things have passed away. All things have become new.

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Curses, no.

Consequences, yes.

12. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

Consequences? How so?

Well thinking about this I guess that a sin of the father or mother is visited upon the children. So that would be correct. Although it shouldn't be that way. We should all be judged according to our own merits.

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Consequences...
    Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
    SIDS from second hand smoke
    AIDS
    Sexual Abuse
    etc..........

14. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

Yup those too.

Very true. There dosen't seem to be an end to those diseases that have 3 or 4 letters that kill is there ?

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The traces of certain myasma (underlying health problems like venereal disease) can be found generations later.

For example my father could have been in contact with VD. While I and my son and grandson might show NO SIGN of the VD in our blood, there is a continuing genetic "marker". Science is just scratching the surface so all is "iffy".

But God's judgment can "surface" generations later. Interesting study.

16. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Let's not forget the repetitive nature of certain sins either. For example, in cases of domestic violence, we know that such violence is cyclical. Men that abuse women often come from homes where they and / or their mothers were abused. Many women in abusive relationships continue in those relationships because that is all they ever knew growing up. Those sinful patterns are passed from generation to generation until something or Someone stops the abuse. Until that point, on and on the cycle goes, and, since no sin goes unjudged, so too does the cycle of judgment.

17. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

That is very true to a point.

Cycles of hate and abuse do go around and around. But, when a person is saved, that cycle has a VERY good chance of being broken. I know what my parents did to me is not exactly right. And, I know for me it's very hard to break that cycle. Hard not impossible cause i've done it so far [​IMG]

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Cycles of abuse and disease the way y'all are talking about them are not what is meant when people with wacky spiritual warfare teachings talks about curses being passed down through generations. They are either meaning an occult curse, or that the "demon of sexual abuse" or the "demon of alcohol" is being passed on. This is unbiblical in many ways.

Bill Gothard actually teaches that if you have an adopted child, you need to make sure there are no demons passed to that child from ancestors. This is totally ludicrous.

19. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

I have to agree with you Marcia. When adopting a child you don't always get that luxury. It is hard to think that you will be able to.

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Exactly Marcia. Hogwash... complete hogwash!

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.