1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

generational curses

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by amazinglove92, Dec 20, 2008.

1. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

Visited a nondenominational church tonight and the topic of generational curses came up. I have begin to look into it but have had a hard time finding information on a classic fundamental position on it. Can someone point me to more information on it or perhaps expounding to me the theory/ philosophy on this subject?

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

In my lean understanding, the idea of generational crrses come from the few verses in scripture that say something to the effect of God visiting the sins of the father onto the children to the fourth generation. (to tired to look up the exact passages) These passages all occur, I believe, in the OT.

Do I believe that "curses" are passed from generation to generation. Not exactly. What I believe it that these passages mean that some sins are passed along from parent to child. The old saying "the apple never falls from from the tree" is a good metaphor for what I mean.

Remember, sin is described as a curse in the Bible.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I've dealt with this topic in my ministry and even before that. There is no biblical basis for this at all! This comes from very bad spiritual warfare teachings.

If you examine the Bible, you will find that curses are pronounced by God or through His prophets as punishments for sin. False prophets such as Balaam tried to curse through occult/pagan methods but this is a counterfeit.

A passage in Exodus 20 is usually used to support this faulty teaching:
    3"You shall have no other gods before Me.

4"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.
    5"You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 6but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

It is repeated in Ex. 34.6-7, Deut 5.9 (also in the context of the 10 commandments), and Numbers 14.18.

There is no mention of "generational curses" and it has nothing to do with passing on demons (which is how some teach generational cursing). It is about iniquity (sin) going to the subsequent generations, and it is to those "who hate Me."

I've actually come across Christians who believe that if their grandmother visited a fortune-teller, the generations were cursed and they have to repent or pray or do something to remove this "curse" from the grandmother's action. Or they think demons are oppressing them becaues of this. This is outrageous.

The belief in such curses is more of an occult worldview than a biblical one.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only generational curse would be walking in the same footsteps, but if the chain on sin is broken...

Here is what you might be looking for:

(Eze 18:14) Now, lo, if he beget a son, that seeth all his father's sins which he hath done, and considereth, and doeth not such like,

(Eze 18:15) That hath not eaten upon the mountains, neither hath lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, hath not defiled his neighbor's wife,

(Eze 18:16) Neither hath oppressed any, hath not withheld the pledge, neither hath spoiled by violence, but hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment,

(Eze 18:17) That hath taken off his hand from the poor, that hath not received usury nor increase, hath executed my judgments, hath walked in my statutes; he shall not die for the iniquity of his father, he shall surely live.

(Eze 18:18) As for his father, because he cruelly oppressed, spoiled his brother by violence, and did that which is not good among his people, lo, even he shall die in his iniquity.

(Eze 18:19) Yet say ye, Why? doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son hath done that which is lawful and right, and hath kept all my statutes, and hath done them, he shall surely live.

(Eze 18:20) The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

5. Beth

Beth New Member

I studied this a long time ago

This comes up from time to time among my friends, especially those who are into the Bondage Breaker deliverance theology stuff.

It is my understanding that this passage concerning the sins of the fathers visited on the sons was fulfilled for Israel at their captivity...especially into the hands of Babylon.

The Ezekiel passage foretells the New Covenant, and clearly according to Ezekiel each man is responsible for himself before God.

It is good to study this topic in order to have an answer to those who are drawn into it.

Your sis in Christ,
    Beth

6. amazinglove92

amazinglove92 New Member

Thanks a lot for the information. It will be very helpful as I study this more.
    One of you mentioned bondage breaker theology and I was wondering if you could help me pinpoint where the movement began. Did this begin in the pentecostal camps?
    I find knowing where ideas come from is the best way of beginning to expose their errors.
    Thanks again.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree with Beth's post.

The "bondage breaker" theology comes from Neil Anderson, who is not Pentecostal as far as I know. He wrote a book called The Bondage Breaker. He was influenced by other Christian writers whose demonlogy goes back to a woman named Jessie Penn-Lewis. Penn-Lewis wrote a book, War on the Saints, which put forth many of the bad spiritual warfare teachings around today. Her writings are controversial.

This is an article (not by me) on Jessie Penn-Lewis:
    http://www.pfo.org/pennlews.htm

One of the things you can notice about these teachings is that the writers with these theories all quote each other as sources. Biblical support is lacking for most of what they teach, and/or they cite passages but when you look those up, the passages are not supporting what they say.

Some of the things they teach are that demons can control a believer (or a believer's vocal chords), generational curses and demonic bondage, the need to confess every occult sin - including those committed by ancestors - before you can be "free," demons coming to believers at a certain time of night, the need to "fight" demons with certain techniques, etc.

I have had to research this area and it started when I was a relatively new believer due to my background in occult activities (as an unbeliever). I spoke to my pastors and other pastors, read books on this topic, and thoroughly searched scripture because I was challenged often when I disagreed with Anderson, the most popular proponent of these beliefs.

I believe that these teachings put one in bondage, because it undermines the deliverance from the power of sin we have in Christ. It is not unusual at all to have consequences if one was in the occult after they are saved, but that is different from teaching that these people must do something special to free themselves.

I wrote a paper responding to Anderson's views but it's not on my website. If you want it, PM me and give me your email and I'll send it to you. Btw, my pastor looked over this paper and helped me with it.