1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Generic They

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Rippon, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good stuff.
    Hmm..

John 3:15 the ESV and NIV : "may have eternal life" It sends the wrong message these days. It's a possibility. The NLT and NASB : "will have eternal life." There is certainty there. Yeah, the KJV and WEB both have "should not perish"-- If all goes according to plan, but there are no guarantees.

John 3:17 :KJV,HCSB,ISV : "might be saved"-- Let's hope.
    Darby and YLT : "may be saved". We don't know for sure. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Are these expressions dying out? To which I replied...
    That which I had said was met with distain.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have already proven by your past quotes that you don't use masculine pronouns. You use the singular they --which is sometimes even called the singular their.

This is something you said on 8/28/2008 :

I often use the singular ''they'' as I refuse to use the awkward L.E.F.T. term of "he or she."

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had mentioned this somewhere before. I think thon would be ideal. It was coined by an American lawyer --Charles Crozat Converse, initially in 1858. Then 26 years later it came up again.

I had earlier suggested tah stemming from the Chinese language. But thon will do just fine.

Thon, means that one. It would cover him or her and his or hers.

To thonself be true.

Is that yours? No, it might be thon's.

If anyone wants to discuss it thon can see me after class.

I know that that last example can be recast.

Those who wish to discuss it can see me after class.

Or: Everyone who needs to discuss it with me can do so after class.

So, how many of you would be willing to drop the single they for thon?

A number of you are unaware that you use singular they on the BB a geat deal --whether in the form of their/theirs, them or they.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes coined words can win out, such as Passover, but usually only when they have the field to themselves.

"Thon" is a nonstarter because "they" and "their" as singulars are already in wide acceptance. The river is running against me, but I will swim against it as long as I am able.

5. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would it be possible to parse the word: SIN? WE seem to have left this word in the wonderful world of ambiguity.

I speak in riddles laced with grammatical nightmares, oxymorons, and conundrums--write that way too. Am I not communicating?

Not every school issues the same poetic license--I have no pedigrees anyway. Now what?

Interesting how word meanings have changed. Not many years ago abortion was considered murder. Today abortion is called: freedom of choice. Amazing.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some thoughtful posts give me an Ah Ha moment. Yours, on the other hand, leave me with Huh?

The subject is generic singular pronouns. Do you have anything meaningful to contribute to the theme?

7. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A meaningful contribution: Duh.

Time for me to tah tah.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know my one-man campaign for thon won't amount to much. I can't displace what has wide acceptance. I'll just put in my devalued 2 cents and use thon once in a while.
    Keep dreaming the impossible dream Mr. Quixote. I guess I'm right there with you in a sense.