1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

? Genesis 9:3-4

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by church mouse guy, May 20, 2020.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did God allow man to eat animals after the Flood?

Genesis 9:3 (KJV) Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

4 But flesh with the life thereof, [which is] the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.

2. timtofly

timtofly Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who says the sons of God were not already doing it before the Flood? In Genesis 1 God says that only plants and fruits had been given as food. The animals and sea life were there to enjoy what plants and fruit would provide. Cain brought a vegetarian offering. Abel brought a livestock offering. Did Abel only eat a vegetarian diet, and did he trade with Cain? If Cain was given livestock in trade for plants and fruit, did he eat the meat, because he did not use it for sacrifice? If they both ate vegetarian and both offered a livestock sacrifice, would they not have had a stable economy, God would be pleased with the same offering equally from both. It seems there was an imbalance going on and Cain was not utilizing the economy properly.

Perhaps when Cain was driven from the Garden (God’s presence), not only was Abel's blood on his hands, but a meat diet was abhorrent to the sons of God.

Eventually sin spread to all the sons of God and animals were eaten against God's will and plan. After the Flood, God put the fear of fallen humanity into animals. They would now be freely hunted down and eaten, but God also said the animals would not retaliate. At least not until another imbalance happened and animals were allowed to attack and eat humans.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many primates subsist on "fruits, roots, and shoots." Thus a plant based diet seems adequate, perhaps even "very good." But then Jesus ate fish, so supplementing our diet with fish and prepared items like bread seems fine to me. OTOH, eating a blood rare steak may be tasty but it is hardly biblical.

I do not think scripture tells us exactly why non-plant foods were specifically allowed after the flood, but the commentaries list several speculations. One thing is for sure, an ample food supply facilitates population growth.

• Like Like x 1
  4. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    13 And there came a voice to him, Arise, Peter: kill, and eat.
    14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord: for I have never eaten anything that is polluted, or unclean.
    15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, The things that God hath purified, pollute thou not.

Where did God say cook or prepare?

Cooking is the sensible thing to do, but not commanded.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please do not waste time misrepresenting my views. BTW, Jesus cooked fish.

6. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    God's Word is never a waste of time.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Non responsive misrepresentation yet again, are you purposely wasting the opportunity to discuss scripture with clarity and truth?

Many primates subsist on "fruits, roots, and shoots." Thus a plant based diet seems adequate, perhaps even "very good." But then Jesus ate fish, so supplementing our diet with fish and prepared items like bread seems fine to me. OTOH, eating a blood rare steak may be tasty but it is hardly biblical.

I do not think scripture tells us exactly why non-plant foods were specifically allowed after the flood, but the commentaries list several speculations. One thing is for sure, an ample food supply facilitates population growth.

Jesus cooked fish so cooking is consistent with God's example. Jesus ate bread so eating prepared foods is consistent with God's example.

#7 Van, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  8. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have yet to prove it is wrong to eat uncooked meat after God told Peter, uncooked meat was ok to eat. Between Noah and Peter, it was not ok to eat or drink blood. If blood was thoroughly cooked in the meat between Noah and Peter, it was not sin. If meat was not fully cooked and the blood was still red, people probably got sick, and even had food poisoning. Is that considered sin because people got sick, and had food poisoning, and may have even died?

No, I do not think that the Communion cup turns into the actual blood of Jesus. That is silly and foolish to accept and believe that.

Yes some people are deadly allergic to uncooked fish. Is it because they sin, or their parents sinned?

I pointed out that God told Peter, eating a blood rare steak was ok. You are the one fighting God on the matter, not me.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I say to eat uncooked food was wrong? No, of course not. You are wasting time, purposely trying to avoid actual discussion.

Did I say your believe in transubstantiation? No of course not. You are wasting time, purposely trying to avoid actual discussion.

And if you do not know why some people are lame, blind, or allergic, according to scripture, read John 9:1-3

10. Sai

Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Probably because they are high in protein.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Sai

Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It’s a result of the fall of Adam. However, because God has allowed it we should not condemn the provision. Doing so is a form of rebellion.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another deflection, did anyone say cooking was commanded? Nope. On and on we get efforts to deflect from the topic with made up bunny trails that lead away from the topic. Certainly scripture indicates it is not a sin to cook or eat prepared food, as shown by Jesus cooking and eating prepared foods.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, claiming what God specifically allows in scripture to be ungodly is wrong, either through volition or unknowingly.

14. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.

The topic is about blood.

Talking about veggies is a rabbit trail.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So claiming someone said God commanded cooking is not a rabbit trail. Me thinks thou protest too much. :)

Certainly scripture indicates it is not a sin to cook or eat prepared food, as shown by Jesus cooking and eating prepared foods.

16. timtofly

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you protesting about your own protest?

I was not protesting, just pointing out facts about meat and eating meat raw.

17. Sai

Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well primates of the animal world do not know what they are doing, they have no ability to reason.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me thinks thou protest too much.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, it is fine to eat uncooked food, such as roots, fruits, and shoots. But it is also fine to eat broiled fish, and bread.

Returning to the thread topic, several reasons can be found in commentaries based on speculation, but as said before scripture does not specifically tell us why meat was added after the flood. One of the speculations is that as a result of the flood the ground and vegetation were damaged such that food production was constrained. While I agree with this inference, the view remains speculation rather than a clear statement from scripture.

20. Sai

Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yea I guess it’s unknown. Maybe because they’re eating each other?