1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Geneva Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salty, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club

Ratings:
    +661
    Faith:
    Baptist
  2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Ratings:
    +436
    Faith:
    Baptist
  3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Absolutely, I would. Salty, the Geneva Bible was also influenced greatly by Tyndale's work, so if you are aquainted with the KJV it will not seem totally unfamilar.

4. TC

TC Active Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Faith:
    Baptist
    For $60 with free shipping I just might have to get one. Last time I looked for one it was $99 plus shipping.

5. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's definitely worth using. Just because it was eventually replaced by the 1611 KJV doesn't mean it has no value...

6. Mongol Servant

Mongol Servant New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Keith - rsr,

Thanks for the website - good info !

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is available for $53.44 including shipping at Amazon.com.

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The best price I have seen yet is absolutely FREE at the http://www.studylight.org website. For those who may not want to invest in a printed copy this is the next best thing as long as your computer or ISP doesn't go down.

9. dale kesterson

dale kesterson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Bible mentioned is a bit updated in language from the original text as appears on e-sword and Studylight.

Example:
    Romans 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoeuer thou art that condemnest: for in that that thou condemnest another, thou condemnest thy selfe: for thou that condemnest, doest the same things.

Romans 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that condemnest: for in that that thou condemnest another, thou condemnest thyself: for thou that condemnest, doest the same things.

Spelling, as you have noticed, have been modernized and the Bible also a great deal of footnotes; In the book of Romans, for example, half of the pages are made up of footnotes. It was the footnotes that condemned the Geneva Bible. I cannot remember which verse footnote sparked the wrath of the British king and bannded the Bible from the land.

dale

10. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It was probably the fact that thr footnotes in the Geneva Bible tended to be against the monarchy. It is very unlikely that only a single footnote prompted King James to want to do away with the Geneva Bible.

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Ratings:
    +284
    Faith:
    Baptist
    It's pro'ly not really worth it to purchase a copy of the Geneva since it's so rarely used.
    Here is a digitalized copy of an original 1560 Geneva Bible [LINK].

And here's another modern print verson with notes and forward.

1599 Geneva Bible [LINK]

Ain't the internet wonderful! :thumbs:

Rob

12. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Amen, Deacon! It is wonderful to have so many different Bible versions available online without having to spend the cash to purchase them all. Of all the websites I have seen so far http://www.studylight.org has the most online Bible versions available. Check it out.