1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Geneva Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Salty, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Absolutely, I would. Salty, the Geneva Bible was also influenced greatly by Tyndale's work, so if you are aquainted with the KJV it will not seem totally unfamilar.

4. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For $60 with free shipping I just might have to get one. Last time I looked for one it was $99 plus shipping.

5. Keith M

Keith M New Member

It's definitely worth using. Just because it was eventually replaced by the 1611 KJV doesn't mean it has no value...

6. Mongol Servant

Mongol Servant New Member

Keith - rsr,

Thanks for the website - good info !

7. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It is available for $53.44 including shipping at Amazon.com.

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

The best price I have seen yet is absolutely FREE at the http://www.studylight.org website. For those who may not want to invest in a printed copy this is the next best thing as long as your computer or ISP doesn't go down.

9. dale kesterson

dale kesterson New Member

The Bible mentioned is a bit updated in language from the original text as appears on e-sword and Studylight.

Example:
    Romans 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoeuer thou art that condemnest: for in that that thou condemnest another, thou condemnest thy selfe: for thou that condemnest, doest the same things.

Romans 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that condemnest: for in that that thou condemnest another, thou condemnest thyself: for thou that condemnest, doest the same things.

Spelling, as you have noticed, have been modernized and the Bible also a great deal of footnotes; In the book of Romans, for example, half of the pages are made up of footnotes. It was the footnotes that condemned the Geneva Bible. I cannot remember which verse footnote sparked the wrath of the British king and bannded the Bible from the land.

dale

10. Keith M

Keith M New Member

It was probably the fact that thr footnotes in the Geneva Bible tended to be against the monarchy. It is very unlikely that only a single footnote prompted King James to want to do away with the Geneva Bible.

11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's pro'ly not really worth it to purchase a copy of the Geneva since it's so rarely used.
    Here is a digitalized copy of an original 1560 Geneva Bible [LINK].

And here's another modern print verson with notes and forward.

1599 Geneva Bible [LINK]

Ain't the internet wonderful! :thumbs:

Rob

12. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Amen, Deacon! It is wonderful to have so many different Bible versions available online without having to spend the cash to purchase them all. Of all the websites I have seen so far http://www.studylight.org has the most online Bible versions available. Check it out.