1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

genocide as commanded by God?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, Feb 6, 2008.

1. 282Mikado

282Mikado New Member

Based on what I wrote there is absolutly no basis for this comment as I was merely stating that we are not only influenced by God's perfect will. Influences counterproductive to God's will have and still do impact what goes on in this world. To say I was arguing anything is inane.

As to your friend judging Christ, he is an atheist and one must assume from your original posting that a significant part of his disbelief is based on his judgment that a God that was truly loving and just would not allow or do the things that have happened to people throughout history. Based on that and perhaps other judgments he has opted to not believe in God. He had to make at least one judgment in order to come to his disbelief. In his judgment he believes God can not be true because a loving God would not do these things. This is a judgment against God.

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

First off, I'm not the one with the atheist friend. Secondly, you seemed to be suggesting that since the children would end up sacrificed to Molech and Co or grow up to sacrifice their own children to Molech, then infanticide was justifiable. You were thus purporting to advance (presumably on behalf of God) a teleological rather than deontological approach to situation ethics. But that self-same approach could equally be applied to the infant Hitler or Stalin - the teleological approach advocated by you would call for their murder at birth or at least before they reached a position of power or influence. I'm saying that murder is wrong - whoever does it and for whatever purported reason.

If you were saying something else, I'd be happy to be disabused of the above notion.

3. 282Mikado

282Mikado New Member

I recommend you go back to grade school and study reading comprehension again. I was not condoning murder. I was stating that Satan has corrupted people in the past to believe that their murder of infants was justifiable. I did not say that I believed this was justified. I also never advanced anything on the behalf of God. I merely stated that God is not the only influence impacting the choices made by people. God did give us a free will to choose whom we would follow. Some follow God, some follow Satan. This does have a direct positive or negative impact on events.

I also was not saying you had the atheist friend. That was address to Gekko.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True. But also remember that in the case of pagan nations (as we see in Lev 18) God did not hold them to the same high standard. He let them slip into more gross sins until finally they passed the bounds of probation.

In Dan 5 God says that the Babylonians were weighed in the balances and found wanting -- and that day they were destroyed by the Persian armies.

God tells Abraham that the "sin of the Amorite is not yet complete" and that they will have 400 more years of probation before they are expelled from Canaan.

God tells Israel that they have reached the end - have filled up the cup of their iniquity in Matt 23. In 1Thess 2 Paul makes the same point stating that the Jews had filled up the measure of the cup of their sin - their probation was ending.

And yet - there is another even "more final end" coming - the Lake of Fire.

in Christ,

Bob

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

So who would you say was doing the ordering of murder to the Israelites - God or Satan?

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Is God committing genocide when He sends masses of people to hell?

7. 282Mikado

282Mikado New Member

In some cases (Sodom and Gomorrah) it was God. In some cases He just lifted His protection as requested, in those cases I would say Satan.

In either case what first happened was God set forth His promises of either blessings (when He is followed) or cursings (when He is not). Man has always had the choice whom he would follow. How is it God's fault if man decides to completely stray away from His will and follow Satan?

Let me ask you a question:

What is a sinless God to do when the depravity of man has gotten so bad that it threatens everything good in His creation?

8. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Die for that depravity.

9. 282Mikado

282Mikado New Member

I just went through this thread again and I have to wonder, Matt, just what portion of the scriptures you actually believe are literal. According to your answers you pretty much have to throw out all of the OT. Revelations is pretty much history as well.

Do you believe in hell or is that just a figurative fairy tale? Does it matter that someone get saved in order to get into heaven? If the unsaved can't get into heaven, where do they go? It can't be hell because a loving God would not subject one person to anywhere that causes weeping and gnashing of teeth. What happens to Satan in the end. Surely not a real lake of fire. How inhumane. Come to think of it, is there really a Satan? That doesn't make much sense for God to allow us to be tormented by such an evil being.

Just how much of the Bible is real to you? You say tradition interprets the Bible. Are you than saying the Pharisees had it all right in their traditions? The Roman Catholic Church?

I have to think that your pocket sized Bible has to be pretty convenient for you to follow. You just select the verses you like and toss the rest as not literal.

10. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I believe in all of it. But I don't believe all of it is literal - surely you acknowledge that there are different literary genres within the corpus we call the Bible?

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Matt you dismissed a good part of this post. You don't agree that the flood is literal. But you cannot dismiss all of these events as allegorical. Israel did go in and destroy the inhabitants of Jericho and Ai, and the Canaanites. These are facts of history. This part of my post you have never addressed. It was God's command. It was perfectly consistent with God's nature, purpose, and justices. In it God never transgressed the command of "Thou shalt not murder," an accusation that you blasphemy label Him with.

12. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

What part of the "all" isn't "literal"? The Bible is either "all inerrant and literal" or none of it is.

"When the PLAIN sense of Scripture makes COMMON sense, seek no other sense."

Genesis 7:17 And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth.
    Genesis 7:18 And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters.
    Genesis 7:19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
    Genesis 7:20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.
    Genesis 7:21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:
    Genesis 7:22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.
    Genesis 7:23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.
    Genesis 7:24 And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days.

Is this account of the Genesis flood, literal? If it's not, then how can you believe any other part of the Bible? If any part of the Bible is a lie, then NONE of it is to be trusted!

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Oh, I'm quite willing to accept it happened as historical fact
    That I cannot believe - that God, the God Who is Love Himself, Who commanded "Thou shalt not murder", should Himself incite the murder of innocents.
    Like heck it was!!
    Then He can't possibly have given such a command. Absolutely no way.

14. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Why are you erroneously conflating "inerrant" and "literal"? They are two quite different concepts.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Then what do you call this:

Deuteronomy 20:16-18 But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:
    17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee:
    18 That they teach you not to do after all their abominations, which they have done unto their gods; so should ye sin against the LORD your God.

The reason for such devastation is given in verse 18.

16. gekko

gekko New Member

you truly asking "then what do you call this" - or are you just curious to what matt's answer will be?

i refer back to what ivon has written:

17. standingfirminChrist

Ivon's quote is nonsense.

God is God and because He is God, whatever He chooses to tell one to do, is right; whether it be to tell one to kill another, or to tell one to destroy something that belongs to another.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And God won't do that. He never will. We live in an age where, if someone has wronged you, you are obligated, by law, to take it to the courts. Vengeance is mine saith the Lord, I will repay. It never says, for example, "Vengeance is Gecko's, Gecko will repay with his own vengeance." God doesn't give that permission to anyone. He has ordained government as a God-ordained institution (Romans 13:1-4) which we need to abide by.
    Who is A through Z. In this generation, especially in my country where the death penalty has been abolished, they would have received life sentences if found guilty. So I am at a loss at what you are speaking about. Who commanded what deaths?
    Be more specific. We live in a day and age of grace. What you are saying doesn't make sense. If one lived in the time of Moses, it would be a different story. God works in different ways in different dispensations. Look at Hebrews 1:1,2.

19. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

That statement is not conflated...let me say in a different way: The Bible is BOTH "inerrant AND literal". All I want to know is WHICH part of "all" do you consider literal? Do you interpret God's inerrant Word "literally" or do you "pick out for yourself" which portions of the Bible you consider"literal"?

Either you believe all of God's Word to be BOTH literal and inerrant or you don't believe any of it. You just don't "pick and choose" what you want to believe is "literal". God does not give you that option.

20. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Absolutely incorrect. Parts of the Bible are clearly allegory and parable. Even Jesus taught using parables. This binary mindset is an open door to error.