1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

genocide as commanded by God?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, Feb 6, 2008.

1. sag38

sag38 Active Member

To not take the Bible literally except where it tells us too is very dangerous. I'm reading here that Mr. Black is determining what is right about the Bible and what is wrong based on his own intellect. If he likes a part then he keeps it. If he does'nt' then it must be allegory or faulty. I take the Bible for what it is and that is God's word. I'm not a KJV only person but I do believe that God is big enough and capable enough to preserve His word. That's what it boils down to. I believe the Bible is God's word, and you do not. Good luck navigating life being tossed about by every whim, wind, and change that comes along as you pick and choose your way through the Bible.

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Where have I said that I don't believe the Bible is the word of God?! I believe that it is the word of God completely. And where have I said that I'm free to cherry-pick what's literal and what isn't based on my own personal whim? I haven't; I have said that the Bible must be interpreted in accordance with Church Tradition, which is a very different animal (thank God!) from my own personal opinion which must always be subordinate to Scripture and Tradition. It seems to me that you've at best made a series of erroneous assumptions and at worse some false accusations about me in your post. Please clarify which it is.

Woah, boy! The Bible - at least read literally - clearly says that He did order the genocide. He didn't merely 'permit' it! What are you trying to say here?!

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I've made no false accusations. All one has to do is go back and read your posts. I'm not going to bother quoting them. It seems now that you are going back on what you've questioned in the other posts. I believe that's called double talk. By the way, I'm not trying to attack you as a person. I simply cannot agree with your questioning the Bible as we have it established in Orthadoxy and your assertion some books of the Bible are allegory when they clearly are not. I all comes down to a matter of faith. Either you believe the Bible or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

4. Matt Black

Site Supporter

In the light of that I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and accept that you've made - and I suspect are continuing to make - erroneous assumptions about me. I agree that either you believe the Bible or you don't and assure you that I do believe it; I just don't believe it says what you think it says.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Where in the NT does God command us to commit genocide?

6. Matt Black

Site Supporter

The subject matter of this thread is whether God commanded the genocides of the OT. No-one mentioned the NT. Now, please answer my question.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Matt, I have answered the question of God commanding the Israelites to conquer other nations many time throughout this thread. You may go back and read my posts. Now, God in this day and age of grace make no such command to go out and commit any act of genocide. Thus the case is closed.