1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Geographical Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by All about Grace, Apr 21, 2006.

1. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Because studies show that there are multitudes of people groups around the world where the name of Jesus has never been proclaimed.

My point exactly.

Then we better "splain" why there are hunderds of thousands of people who will die without ever hearing the name of Jesus.

Geographical election

2. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

In light of Calvinism's view of election and irresistable grace and their attempt to redefine "all", these are all questions a Calvinist must seek to answer and still does not answer the original thought: in light of God's obvious love for the world, why does God's election seem restricted to certain people groups? </font>[/QUOTE]It don't believe it is restricted, hence I reject your premise.

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Do you mean like when God choose the Jews?...and that nation only?

Was this too..Geographical election?

Not any other nation around this very small nation did God choose. Not any other nation on EARTH did He choose. Was it wrong for God to only give this nation the Law? Was it wrong to have nearly all of the prophets come from this very small nation? Was it wrong to have Chrsit come from this one Geographical place and not another? If God had used the nation Gog, would they not have been blessed?

Was it worng of God to show no mercy on others?
    For God to only work with them, when so many others were around and needed God just as much?

I think not

Why not choose one nation as His own. Why not..Pick another nation to give the law to. Choose a 3rd nation for the prophets. maybe Give West Virginia the line that Chrsit came from.

Why not spread it out a little??

Lets make it fair. Lets make God just.

PLEASE!!!!!!!!

STOP TRYING TO REMAKE GOD

4. All about Grace

So you reject limited atonement and unconditional election?

5. All about Grace

So you embrace the idea of geographical election?

6. russell55

russell55 New Member

Yes, but it will be proclaimed there, and some will be saved. And what about elect infant? Calvinists believe that "Elect Infants dying in infancy, are regenerated and saved by Christ through the Spirit; who worketh when, and where, and how he pleaseth: so also are all other elect persons, who are uncapable of being outwardly called by the Ministry of the Word. " Who's to say God hasn't elected many infants in those people groups in which the gospel has yet to be proclaimed?

Your question/challenge makes no sense for a Calvinist. They believe that God, through election to salvation, keeps his promise to Abraham so that around the throne of grace there will truly be "persons from every tribe, language, people, and nation".

Calvinist also believe that the gospel will go out world-wide, and that tribes that haven't been reached yet with the gospel will be reached. God is fulfilling his plan to gather his elect from the four corners of the earth through those who do his work by proclaiming the gospel.

7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I'm saying...Why ask?

Who can know the mind of God?

None of us should be elected....but God does as He pleases

8. All about Grace

Actually this sentence should be prefaced with the word "some".

This adds a whole different element that we will not tackle in this thread.

Which is why the question/challenge makes absolute sense.

Even though it appears a couple of corners are a little more stacked than the others. ;)

9. All about Grace

Using this same logic, there would be no system known as Calvinism.

10. All about Grace

Because that tree has only one branch :D

Or even trying to put him in our own human system boxes!

11. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

AAG, please give us your answer to your question - why are many Christians located in certain geographical locations and not in others? I'm sincerely intersted in your thoughts.

12. russell55

russell55 New Member

No, it shouldn't. Do you know of one calvinist who believes that there are elect infants who are not saved?

From what perspective? The perspective of 21st century North America? What about 2nd century? What about my Norwegian ancestors back then? Where will the greatest concentration of believers be in 100 years? How would you know if the deck is stacked or not?

It seems to me that the premise of your initial question to this thread is assuming things you can't possibly know. The question is nonsensical by it's flawed premise.

There will believers from every tribe around the throne because that conclusion in Revelations is not just God's prediction, but his plan that he's working in the world.

13. All about Grace

I know of Calvinsts who do not believe in elect infants. And sentimentality seems to cause others to abstain from this view even though they like to accuse non-Calvinists of having a "feelings-based" theology (how could a good loving God send people to Hell with no choice).

So now we are talking geographical and chronological election???

14. All about Grace

I honestly don't try and explain it. But neither do I try and explain it within the confines of a human system such as Calvinism whose adherents often fail to acknowledge the gaps and weaknesses of their own system of trying to explain God. After all if Calvinism is essential to the gospel or if Christ was a Calvinist, then I am left with the duty of defending a system developed by a philosopher some 1500 years after Christ.

I think it does us all good to come to a place in life where we are able to say: there are certain things about God's sovereignty and human responsibility that can't be explained within the confines of a 5-point system.

I just find it ironic that those who claim to embrace and promote God's sovereignty the most are often the ones I find limiting God to their own system of thought .... self included.

15. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Don't you know I am the one who is supposed to be arrogant and condescending?

I always find it amusing when people who rely so heavily upon a human system to explain an eternal God's redemptive work accuse someone else of being "wise in their own eyes."
    </font>[/QUOTE]All About Grace...
    That is the total extent of what you can expect with that character. Completely useless. Better to deal with those who challenge you with reason and scripture and ignore this guy.

16. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Don't you know I am the one who is supposed to be arrogant and condescending?

I always find it amusing when people who rely so heavily upon a human system to explain an eternal God's redemptive work accuse someone else of being "wise in their own eyes."
    </font>[/QUOTE]All About Grace...
    That is the total extent of what you can expect with that character. Completely useless. Better to deal with those who challenge you with reason and scripture and ignore this guy.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Tim - I mean it...there are some in here who start threads just to get a rise out of others. They are not interested in the truth. They just want to impress others based on the latest book they haven't even finished. I'm learning to just steer away from them altogether....Reformed and free-willers alike.

Of course...you're not one of them! [​IMG]

17. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

And that's what my reply was from the get-go: I don't know.

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

By the way, the Doctrines of Grace only speak to the "how" of salvation, not the "why". So your original question really doesn't deal with the 5-points anyways, which I tried to show early on that this is an issue for both C and A and everyone inbetween.

19. All about Grace

I really do know I just don't want to say ... ;) :D

20. russell55

russell55 New Member

What you mean, I suppose, is that you know Calvinists who don't believe that any infants who die are elect. All Calvinists believe in elect infants, since all the elect are elect before the foundation of the world. A Calvinist who believes that absolutely no infants who die are elect is certainly not common. Perhaps you should find them and ask them your question, because for the majority of us who do believe that God can elect, regenerate, and save infants your question is nonsensical.

Nope. We're talking about God choosing individual people for salvation, and then ensuring that they hear the gospel so that they will believe. We're talking about God determining the times and places where individual people will live. We're talking about God fulfilling his plan to have individual people from every single people group around the throne of grace by electing individual people from every single people group, and ensuring that those individual elect people hear the gospel by sending preachers to them at the right time.

Now, you answer my question instead of sidestepping it:

How would you or I know if the deck is stacked against some people groups? How would you or I know if, in the end, there will be certain people groups overrepresented among those saved?