1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

George Carlin dead at 71

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by dragonfly, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His influence on obscenity on TV is sad. And the condition he died in is even more sad.

3. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Wow, now that one IS a shocker, some some strange reason. With his views on religion.........I'm just saying.

love,
    Sopranette

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I am very sorry to hear this. Carlin was a real iconoclast and unique character.

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

This may seem callous to some but there are some people that the world is better without. Unrepentant and now standing before God, he has to face the trivializing of a popular culture of debauchery. Making himself approachable for the very young children that watched "Thomas the Tank Engine" as the friendly, even fatherly Conductor, is evil at its best. I really hope he enjoyed life because eternity is not a "Shining Time Station" for the unrepentant.

George Carlin: (When asked what does he like?) I love individuals. I think people are terrific as I meet and get to know them. I like imagination. I like the freedom that this society manages to parcel out to us in the midst of the rest of what they do to you. I also like thinking about the fact that the atoms in me are the same atoms that are in all the rest of the universe, and that every one of those atoms came from the middle of a star. In other words, it's only me out there.

From his book, "When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops?"

"Part of what my impulse is with things I've said or done, I think it is an attempt to demystify these things, to take them out of the realm of the forbidden and the disgusting and the off-base, and to at least bring them into the discussion," he says. "And then, if you choose ... to avoid that kind of expression, fine. But I don't think everybody should have to be subject to these largely superstitious practices and conventions."

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel sorry for his family and friends. I would feel sorry for him as well but it is probably too late for that.

7. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right now I am listening to an interview with Joan Rivers about George Carlin's passing. He was named recently as this year's winner of the Mark Twain Prize for humor. I have always enjoyed listening to him. Sure he did a lot of bits that could be said to be offensive. At the same time he did a wonderful job of poking fun at our everyday lives. He found humor in things so mundane as trying to pack for a trip ("a smaller version of your stuff!") or "Let's Make A Deal" ("look at the people in the audience, and then think about the ones they didn't let in"). He will be missed.

Tim Reynolds

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I did enjoy his routine comparing football to baseball!

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people learn the hard way that Jesus is the beginning and the end.

10. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

I loved his routine, "A place for my stuff." :laugh:

11. Joe

Joe New Member

He is the filthiest, most utterly depraved, vulger comedian I have ever heard in my life. [snipped] He is dangerous, not to mention the pure, unadulterated definition of white trash.

The F word and the Lords name were taken in vain over and over. I don't care for cursing. Not sure he did any stand up without swearing repeatidly. He applauded and promoted things I couldn't even type here, nor think about. I always felt he could have been a Ted Bundy.

[snipped] I hope he got saved. I fear hell is especially hot for him

#11 Joe, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Okay, thats done - now back to the topic at hand a keep persoanl squabbles to yourselves.

#12 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  13. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Roger, there was no personal squabble. RM and I simply called down someone advocating murder. I would have done the same had it been you. IMO such language on this board should result in an immediate and permanent ban.

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Different topic - it went beyond that to a personal squabble that had nothing to do with the OP. Apologies were made on the language used.

Lets get back to the news story.

15. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Lets not forget that Carlin was an atheist. But he isnt anymore.

16. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Your characterization is lacking in reality. There was a false accusation made against me in revenge for pointing out his inappropriate language. I tried more than once to get him to take his accusations somewhere other than this thread. Lumping the whole thing together as a "squabble" assigns blame to everyone involved.

17. NaasPreacher (C4K)

That was my intention.

Thread closed - Just should have done that to start with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.