1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Georges Sada

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by mnw, Dec 26, 2006.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

Has anyone heard of this man before? I have recently finished reading his book, "Saddam's Secrets" and I really enjoyed it.

However, I often found what I was reading seemingly too good to be true. But, it does seem genuine.

Having doing a quick search online his claims seem consistent and those who meet him all speak highly of him and seem to believe him. Though, his claims about the WMD's being in Syria meet with plenty of scepticism. He even did an interview on the Daily Show and he did well.

I just wondered if any of the BB knew of him or his claims.

I would recommend his book.

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

He may be a great guy but there are four reasons I'd take his claims with several grains of salt. First, he had not worked for Hussein's government for more than a decade prior to when he claims WMDs were sent to Syria so his information seems more second-hand than inside.

Second, he embraced the US invasion and became a key member of the occupation installed puppet government under Allawi. This book could be seen as a favor to the US administration.

Third, money from the book and from tv interviews and appearances.

Fourth, as the Wiki article on him (linkie) states, "His claims, though, tend to contradict the findings of the Duelfer Report, which "judged that it was unlikely that an official transfer of WMD material from Iraq to Syria took place," though analysts were unable to rule out the possibility."

Does he say why Saddam would transfer his best weapons to a country that fears him and his penchant for invading neighbors instead using them against the invaders of his country?

3. mnw

mnw New Member

Thanks, Daisy.

I think although he did not actively work for Saddam for a period he does say he was routinely called in, even though "retired", to help and advise on special issues. So perhaps this gave him some first hand accounts.

It seems if the book was only a favour then there would be an outcry against his claims, which there does not seem to be. And even the highly sceptical British press have not said much against him. They have doubts, but they don't outright discredit him either. And believe me, when the British press goes against someone it is clear!

Money could be an issue, but probably not too much of an issue for someone already in his position.

I have not got to the section in the book that goes into the details about why the weapons went to Syria. I only have a short amount left and from the reviews on several sites I looked up he deals with it toward the end.

I am not defending him, but just saying what comes to mind as alternatives. Like I said, so much of what he said seems to be too good to be true.

As for the reports and whatnot that go against the original intelligence it is hard to know who to believe.

4. Brice

Brice New Member

Daisy,

Your third point is in direct conflict with the link you provided. I will say there is a citation missing, but the statement in the link is still in conflict.

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Hi Brice,

"One-hundred percent of the profits from his book go to an organization that donates school bags and items to Middle Eastern children." Money for a good cause - and that seems a good one - is still money.

I'm glad I didn't say "for profit" or "for greed" since, as you suspect, I had not read the closing statement in the article.

I'm not out to malign the guy, I just am not convinced that Saddam shipped WMDs to Syria - it doesn't make sense to me.

#5 Daisy, Dec 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2006
  6. Brice

Brice New Member

Fair Enough. :thumbs: