1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Germanizing Scripture

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bismarck, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

As I have said elsewhere, I like Germanic-rooted, Old English and Old Saxon words, over against the outlandish French/Greek/Latin words pushed into today's "English" tongue by William the Conqueror in 1066 CE ("Christian Era").

Truly, the German-rooted words help me better understand "The Writings" (Scripture).

Here is my list up through today. For sake of quickness, I shall not list my thinkings for each and every word mating (Germanic - Outlandish), unless it would be hard for you to follow my steps. I build this list upon "etymonline.com" and Strong's Concordance, also looking at "Wikipedia".

Scripture [The] Writings

Bible [The] Book

Baptize Dunk
    John the Baptist John the Dunker

Jesus Christ Joshua [the] Healer (The Latin Christ term drove out O.E. hæland "healer" as the preferred descriptive term for Jesus. Technically, the Hebrew Messiah means "annointed", as does the Greek Christos. The exact Germanish equivalent would be "Smeared", as in "Joshua the Smeared [with the Holy Oil]". In deference to elder tradition, I favor "Healer". Note also that "Savior" comes from the Latin Salvus meaning "healthy, whole". That is, a "Savior" is one who makes you, and keeps you, whole. Technically, that is exactly what "Healer" means, but with a Germanish-rooted word.)

Pentateuch [The] Five Books

Torah [The] Law (or Teachings)

Genesis Beginnings
    [The] Exodus [The] Outgoing
    Leviticus [The] Kohans' Laws (see etymonline for Hebrew, Torah Kohanim, perhaps [The] Levis' Laws)
    Numbers [In the] Wilderness (see Wikipedia for Hebrew, ba-Midbar)
    Deuteronomy [The] Twice-telling of these Laws (or ...of these Teachings)

Judges War-lords (Hebrew Shophet)

Kings <same>
    Chronicles [The] Tales of the Days (or ...of the Times) (Hebrew Dibrei Hayyamim)

Psalms Lieds (Rarely spoken today, means 'songs of lauding', cognate with the German Nibelungenlied, "laud-song of the Nibel-lings ('mist-children')"
    Proverbs Bywords (exact translation)

Ecclesiastes [The] Gatherer

Lamentations Wailings

Odes Songs and/or Beseechings

Letter of Jeremiah Errand-writ of Jeremiah

Jubilees <same> (Comes from the Hebrew qeren ha-yobhel, "horn [of] the ram". Yobhel comes from roots that mean "scour, shower, flood, spout, shout". The sense seems to be that every 50th year the sounding of the Ram's Horn functioned as a "scouring shower" of freedom that "spouted forth" from the horn's "shout" and overflowed the land in a cleansing "flood". This in turn would seem to bring to mind a Dunking (baptism), in a "Flood of Freedom".)

Acts of the Apostles Deeds of the Beadles (Beadle is a seldom spoken word from O.E. bydel "herald, messenger from an authority," from beodan "to proclaim". This has the exact same meaning as the original Hebrew, Shlichim, having the meanings of both "emissary" and "messenger" -- to wit, one sent away to carry and spread a message. Furthermore, the root beodan means "to stretch forth, to offer", which agrees with the non-forceful sense of the Messiah's bidding to sow the Gospel. The word survives as "bid", as in, when you make a "bid at auction", you are making an offer.)

Revelations Unhidings

2. BroShane

BroShane New Member

With all due respect, the massive influx of Greek and Romance words used in English didn't occur until the English Renaissance, about 1405 to 1603 AD. The influence on Old English and Middle English of Greek and Latin was not that great and was due, mostly, to ecclesiastical influence.

What we consider modern English began came about around 1450, and the influx of Greek and Latin came from two souces: the low esteem in which English was held by educated Englsih-speaking people (and their high esteem for the classics), and the advances in the arts and sciences.

Add to this that the best way to get the meaning and sense of scripture is to go to the original langauge and it becomes easy to see why Greek and the Romance languages have had such a major influence on English as a language, and on Biblical study.