1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Getting Evangelical,Christian values back on the table

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Jack Matthews, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Evangelical Christian" as used by liberals is a prejorative. They intend it as some kind of insult.

I just pray that , when I stand before the Lord, that He will recognize me as an "Evangelical Christian".:praying:

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Yeah, and Carter didn't say "malaise" - that's useful for Trivial Pursuit or, in your case, Got'cha!

Oh, quibble, quibble.

Say, do you consider Scott McClellan, WH spokesman at the time, to be "in" the Administration?

"This is about imminent threat," McClellan said in reference to Iraq back in Feb 10, 2003.

Remember, most people don't read these speeches, they listen to them. Over and over, "Saddam Hussein" followed by "September 11" and "Iraq" followed by "threat".

Well, some Evangelical Christians use "liberal" as a pejorative and some kind of insult, kinda like you just did.

#62 Daisy, Nov 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2006
  3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for making my point for me.

Words do mean something. Accurate quoting and paraphrasing mean something. If it didn't mean anything, some members wouldn't be doing it so consistently. It's important enough to them that they have to alter the words in order to make their point. It's just another form of lying.

If certain people will stop intentionally misquoting and misparaphrasing what people said, I won't have anything to "quibble" about.:thumbs:

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c
    "Evangelical Christian" as used by liberals is a prejorative. They intend it as some kind of insult.

If you consider being called a liberal an insult when it accurately describes your political persuasion, that's your problem.

You can call me a conservative anytime. It's accurate and I like it. If you mean it as an itsult, once again that's your problem.

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

6. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Are you sure about that?

Looks like Daisy already answered your question though.

Perhaps now, since your question was answered, you could provide us the source for the quote that you display at the bottom of your postings. I have asked you repeatedly in several different threads, yet you seemingly avoid providing an answer. How ironic that you, of all people, demand the source for quotes..........

BiR

#66 Baptist in Richmond, Nov 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2006
  7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Carpro, don't you think we ought to hold the president to a standard of ethics above that of a used-car salesman?

When the president and his people are talking about an immenent threat from Saddam Hussien, and "mushroom clouds", and all the rest, shouldn't they be held accountable when it is discovered that they had no evidence for those claims?

If not, why not?

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dream on. My request has not been answered.

The reason no one has provided a source quote is that there isn't one.

Some people need to stop lying about what others say if they can't prove it.

9. Baptist in Richmond

Sure it has.

Are you sure about that?

........while others need to calm down and think before they make the mistake of bearing false witness. I would exhort you to be very careful about accusing people of lying.

BTW, you still didn't answer my question, did you?

BiR

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just one time, i'll say this.

You know the truth and can't provide the quote to back up your claim.

Instead of acknowledging it, you try to make a lie stand up.

You are a liar, plain and simple.

11. Baptist in Richmond

http://mediamatters.org/items/200408050012

Now, I have a question to you, since you have made accusations against me:
    To whom did I attribute that quote? Did I attach that to anyone specifically? Did you not find it odd that I offered quotes from other people, yet I purposely left this one unassigned, even misspelling the word "imminent?"

I warned you to calm down, didn't I? Yet you felt compelled to turn this into an integrity issue for yourself.....

Wow carpro: I'm embarrassed for you.

#71 Baptist in Richmond, Nov 12, 2006
  12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said.

You have known all the time that neither Bush nor Cheney nor any member of the Administration ever said Iraq was an "imminent threat."

What took you so long to admit it?:BangHead:

13. Baptist in Richmond

You just cannot control yourself, can you?

Where did I ever attribute that quote to anyone? Come on: you made the charge, now show me. If you can show me where I claimed that anyone made that quote, then by all means provide the quote for me.

You have managed to turn this into an integrity issue for yourself, carpro. I warned you to calm down, didn't I?

Again, I'm embarrassed for you......

14. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

So Democrat does not equate to liberal and Republican does not equate to conservative. That's a novel idea. Maybe the Democratic landslide was more significant than most people thought. Perhaps we might actually get back to rational discourse in this country again.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are quite a few liberal Republicans - mainly up north.

There are some conservative Democrats - mainly down south.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Which should be so, only a puppet can completely agree with a template ideology... One would have to memorize it instead of believe in it.

17. Daisy

Daisy New Member

So you don't consider Scott McClellan, who did say it, part of the Administration, the spokesman?

How is "a grave and urgent threat" different in meaning than "an imminent threat"?

18. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I hope you and S&N don't really expect Carpro to respond honestly, do you? That would mean that he would have to admit he was wrong, and that ain't likely to happen. He seems to be like his idol, President Bush, reluctant to admit any mistake.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carpro
    Like I said.

You have known all the time that neither Bush nor Cheney nor any member of the Administration ever said Iraq was an "imminent threat."

Grammar 101.

If one places quotation marks around a phrase that they indicate someone said, it is to indicate a direct quote.:)

BiR lied and got caught. It is to your great shame that you spend so much time and effort defending a lie Bir has already admitted.
    Get over it.

#79 carpro, Nov 12, 2006
  20. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

He's embarassed, and trying to parse his way out of it. But no one's buying the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.