1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Getting people to attend/commit

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by abcgrad94, Dec 9, 2010.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, we've started a homeschool group this year and we have about 6 families. I plan meetings and activities, with lots of input from the other parents. The parents will tell me they'd like to do (fill in the blank) so I find a date and schedule, then the parents bail out at the last minute. This is very frustrating, especially when the activity involves much planning on my part as the leader. It's even more frustrating when the activity costs money and we don't have enough people show up for the reduced rate. (Like ice skating)

Today is our Christmas party and we're going to an old folks home to sing. This morning, I've already had 2 families call and bail with silly excuses.:BangHead:

How do you handle this in a small homeschool group? If we were bigger with dozens of families, it wouldn't be such an issue, but for now, even the loss of one or two families is a real pain for the rest of us.

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Better families? ;)

I don't know, Ann. Its hard for me sometimes to commit to class day/feild trip stuff because of our health issues. This year we did commit to go to class days (every 2nd and 4th Friday) and have only missed one (due to ME being sick) and are quite proud of ourselves, because between me and TLB we have 8 kids and I'm the only driver. (she has sleep issues and could drive over, but is leary of driving back tired)

We have found that after three years of not getting out and doing stuff that it is MUCH harder to get out and do now, even though our kids are older and healthier. Its just soooo easy to say "I just don't have the energy" or "I don't feel like it" and the temptation is to come up with an excuse not to go. It's getting easier now that we have a few days under our belts. (and no doubt the kids love going! Even my 15 yo who thought I was the world's worst mother for even considering making him go! LOL)

No good answers here I don't guess. More people would help, but I'm guessing the mama's need more experience in getting all their kids out the door too.

(((hugs)))

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I read in your message is that you solicit input; but then take on the responsibility for the projects yourself.

My suggestion: Rotate the responsibility. Ask them what they'd like to do for the next get-together; then ask someone else to be the "project manager" for it. Ask them what they'd like you to do to make it happen. It then becomes "their" event, instead of just giving you input for events.

If no one wants to be the "leader" for the next get-together, but there's a consensus that they all want to do it--ensure that they each have a part in the planning and responsibility. In other words, ask them to take on certain tasks involved with the next project. It's much harder to cancel when you've got a responsibility involved. (my wife cancels out of pretty much all the Tuesday evening ladies' meetings; partly because it's on the other side of the island, and gas prices are high where we currently live; but she would never cancel if she had an active part in the event, even if it was only to provide snacks)

In other words, make sure that everyone feels "invested" in the group, rather than part of a social group led by a particular individual or family.

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent ideas there. Thank you. I think for our next meeting I'll bring a sign-up sheet and delegate more. Delegating is my weak point. I tend to act as the lone ranger instead and need to be more aware of that.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you ask my wife, she'll probably tell you I delegate too much. Like delegating the laundry, the dish-washing.... :O

6. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honestly? I'd just stop including them. Your group will be smaller, but it will be better.