1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Getting your theology from the Bible is worthless

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by matt wade, Oct 29, 2011.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

EVERY Bible cult/false teaching/teachers us ehte same Bible to "prove" that they are true as we do here on BB!

Comes back to "proper interpretation" of the texts, and that would involve more than "just" the Bible, HS, and me alone!

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

True, the bible alone causes no heresies. The bible in the hands of a sinful human who has every reason to intepret it in a way that benefits them can lead to many heresies.

3. mandym

mandym New Member

Each of those nutcases had a teacher. In other words an outside source. Studying the Bible does nothing to lead to heresy. It is the outside sources that does. It is personal agenda's that do. It is everything but studying scripture that does.

Kind of like the personal agenda with the main thrust of this thread. It seeks to blame everything but the real cause. Scripture alone never leads anyone to heresy, what is in their heart is always the culprit.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Not close to being true. Which one sided commentaries lead to this, "Studies in the Scriptures?"

One does not necessarily have to be a complete heretic to have heresies they've derived from reading a passage...alone. They can simply have a heretical view from doing this. Thus heresies can and do come from reading the Bible alone. If one does this, holds to an errant interpretation of a passage that would be considered heresy.

I've ran into many people who don't go to church, and only read the Bible, and then in turn tell me what the passage they've read means, and yep, they were in heresy.

5. mandym

mandym New Member

which is called a personal agenda.

6. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

On their part. Not mine. And it proves heresies do in fact come from "Bible only" people, whether you want to be contentious in your come backs or no, ti's the truth. Thus you are again incorrect.

Please, since you are all knowing and know all of the circumstances involving these visits, please fill me in on the details.

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

So you don't believe the Bible is sufficient?

8. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone here would disagree that heresies can come from ANY camp. The problem is when arrogant statements are made by hyper-Calvinists like Luke2427, such as:

He asserts that people that claim to derive their theology from the Bible alone, will ALWAYS produce heretics. ALWAYS. This is the utmost of arrogance and a total denial that the Bible is sufficient in all things, for if study of the Bible alone ALWAYS produces heresy then we have been lied to by God. Luke2427 has exalted himself and his authors (Calvin, etc) above the very word of God. You can attempt to explain things away for Luke2427, but his words are very clear. He believes that people that say they study the word of God alone will ALWAYS produce heresies.

9. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

No. Brother. There is a poster on here whose user name is Luke2427.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

2 Tim. 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Truly studying the Word of God, seeking His wisdom, and not man's, never leads to heresy. It's true that we will never learn enough, if we were to live for a million years. But if we lean too much on what other fallible men have written, we will entirely miss the mark.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How does Galatians 1:12 fit into this discussion? It appears Paul believed in heresy while sitting under the insruction of Gamaliel...but God corrected it one-on-one with just Him.

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Now, Brother, you know that's not what Paul meant. ;)

13. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

CH Spurgeon (A Calvinist)- WE MUST ALL GET RID OF OUR PRIDE

I have heard of a lady who was visited by a minister on her deathbed, and she said to him, “I want to ask you one question, now I am about to die.” “Well,” said the minister, “what is it?”; Oh!” said she, in a very affected way “I want to know if there are two places in heaven, because I could not bear that Betsy in the kitchen should be in heaven along with me, she is so unrefined?” The minister turned round and said, “O, don’t trouble yourself about that, madam. There is no fear of that, for until you get rid of your accursed pride, you will never enter heaven at all.”

We must all get rid of our pride. We must come down and stand on an equality in the sight of God, and see in every man a brother, before we can hope to be found in glory. Ay, we bless God, we thank him that will set down no separate table for one and for another. The Jew and the Gentile will sit down together. The great and the small shall feed in the same pasture, and we shall “sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.” But my text hath a yet greater depth of sweetness, for it says, that “many shall come and shall sit down.” Some narrow-minded bigots think that heaven will be a very small place, where there will be a very few people, who went to their chapel or their church. I confess, I have no wish for a very small heaven, and love to read in the Scriptures that there are many mansions in my Father’s house.

From a sermon entitled "Heaven and Hell," delivered September 4, 1855.

14. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Key word "truly." It's very possible to have bad theology and not read/listen to other men's words. It's easy to take Bible passages out of context if you study carelessly. You don't need other men to help you with that.

As I mentioned before, the Bible is our final authority not man. I enjoy reading MacArthur, but his books are not the Bible. His words are not inspired.

In addition, I think it's wise to seek the counsel of other people in help to understand the Bible.

15. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

A.W. Pink (A Calvinist) On Pride

16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    29Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.

30And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

32The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

33In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.

34And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?

35Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

I suppose matt wade believes Philip was in great sin, being a man and trying to obey God ,and teach the eunuch!

Philip should have evidently said ......ok...you have the scripture.....just figure it out for yourself:thumbs::thumbs:

17. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm late to this thread, but I want to follow up on Iconoclast's recent post.

"And He (God) gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ" (Ephesians 4:11-12).

God established in his churches men with different gifts. One is a pastor-teacher. By definition a pastor is a teacher. And Paul clearly states the purpose: for the edifying of the body of Christ.

Paul suggests that these men have a spiritual gift from the Holy Spirit. That means they are necessary to the building up of the body. To suggest that we do not need them, that all we need is the Bible alone, is to deny what Paul wrote.

I'm curious. How many of us here on the BB have developed our doctrines and our practices from scripture alone? How many have never read the writings of any theologian? How many of us can say that we've never been influenced by any preacher or teacher?

How many of us will skip Sunday school or the preaching service, since we've heard it all before? Or how many of us will skip those events because we don't want to be influenced by anybody else, because they're mere humans and not God?

Now, to be sure, over the last 50 years, I have changed my beliefs. I came to the conclusion that what I had been taught was not correct. But it was because I tested the scriptures against what he taught.

For instance, my first instruction on eschatology was from a dispensational viewpoint. As the years passed, however, I began to test that view. I couldn't find a scripture verse to support it. So I abandoned that view.

Today, I am a historical pre-mil. I emphasize that's what I am today. I may not be tomorrow.

18. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

Isn't there a verse somewhere that says God gave teachers to the church? Why in the world would He give teachers if they are not usefull or needed? And I could have sworn I read a verse where Paul tells Timothy to commit the things he (Timothy) has learned from Paul to faithful men so they could teach others? I guess Paul must have misspoken there. What he obviously meant to say to Timothy was to make a bunch of copies of scripture and hand them out and then tell everybody to just go home and read them. I guess all the pastors on here need to get up in their pulpits tomorrow and tell their congregations to quit coming to church and just get a Bible as they don't need pastors or teachers after all. I think some people like to intentionally twist what should be the obvious meaning of a post for the purpose of starting a fight.

19. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

True, we all need preachers. True, we can learn from what others have written. True, we need teachers. However, how much do any of us lean on them for our spiritual discernment of the scriptures?

Too many times on here, when the road gets rough, we get what a certain theologian wrote concerning that subject, sermons from a preacher, or a baptist confession statement. If the written Word won't back up our beliefs, it is us who are failures, and not the Word.

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I agree wholeheartedly with everything posted here, Brother. However, how much do they influence us, is the question.

Too many on here post sermons, theologians, confessions, etc.

Too many on here seem to listen to man more than they do the Word. I am not stating this emphatically, but it does seem that way.