1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gift of Prophecy

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Oct 5, 2007.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The SDA thread has turned into a discussion about this "gift of prophecy".

It seems to me that there are different definitions held on this and it makes for a confusing debate. If each holds a different meaning to this then how can we understand what each other is actually saying?

So what is the consensus (if any) among us?

"I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied" (1Cr 14)

Is this the same as being a "prophet" as described in Deu 18:22 ....

"When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. "

Definitions please!

God Bless! :thumbs:

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1Cor 12 -- there is only ONE gift of prophecy listed.

Numbers 12:6 states that "IF there IS a prophet among you I WILL make Myself known to them by dream or Vision".

This means no such thing as "I have the good feeling to say today in a strong speak-forth way that God is in Nebraska" as a form of "gift of prophecy".

in Christ,

Bob

3. ByGracethroughFaith

ByGracethroughFaith New Member

The Bible also says this:

Jer 23:25-28 I have heard what the prophets said, that prophesy lies in my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed. 26 How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart; 27 Which think to cause my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man to his neighbour, as their fathers have forgotten my name for Baal. 28 The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? saith the LORD.

BGTF

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very true.

And also this is true --

]Matt 23
    27 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.
    28 "So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
    29 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous,
    30 and say, 'If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would
    not have been partners with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.'
    31 "So you testify against yourselves, that
    you are sons of those who murdered the prophets.

32 "Fill up, then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers.
    33 "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the
    sentence of hell?
    34 "Therefore, behold, [b
    ]I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes;[/b] some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city,
    35 so that upon you may fall the
    guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah[/b], the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar.
    36 "Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.

Many lessons for us are given in scripture.

in Christ,

Bob

5. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? You don't believe in the doctrine of "Strong Speak-Forth"? Heh heh.

6. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: Numbers 12:6 states that "IF there IS a prophet among you I WILL make Myself known to them by dream or Vision".

There are "Lord showed me" types on and off of TV.

Do they claim to have the gift of prophecy?

Do you think they have the gift of prophecy?

Are there people today with the gift of prophecy?

THis has always been a mystery to me.

#6 drfuss, Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2007
  7. Alex Quackenbush

Prophecy is new revelation (Divine). The gift of prophecy is a person who has been given a gift to receive and speak forth that divine revelation. While it is true that those with the gift of prophecy do not exclusively speak new revelation but often expound upon already present revelation, they also do provide new revelation as part of their gift. Unique to their gift and the nature of their gift is the KIND of new revelation that is given, that which pertains to future events, either the immediate future or the distant future.

Today there are no prophets. No one has the gift of prophecy. Apart from the supernatural apostolic sign gift limited to the pre-canon period of the Church Age, the gift of prophecy is not present in the church. The canon is complete. There is no additional revelation being given which include prophecy, hence no has the gift of prophecy.

And the watered-down version offered by ignorant preachers who like to state that though the gift of prophecy doesn't include new revelation pertaining to future events, the gift of prophecy still exists in men who preach boldly and have a prophetic style (whatever that is suppose to mean but really it is nonsense because either one is or isn't a prophet with that gift and redefining to fit some bad theology is atrocious as well as contemptible toward the Word of God).

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Does this mean then that those who claim to gift of prophecy are only deluding themselves and consequently those who believe in them?

9. Alex Quackenbush

You're asking the obvious here.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I lean towards agreement with what you post. If this is true then what does Paul mean by encouraging believers to prophesy? This is my question in the OP. Are we looking attwo seperate issues?

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    you got me! busted!:laugh: :applause:

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    to further illustrate that truth of that section of your post - look at the distinction in 1cor 14 for the RULEs that govern those who speak in tongues (a gift over which the human DOES have full control) vs the way they are to be ruled/governed in the exercise of prophecy.

In the case of tongues "at most 2 or 3 and one must interpret" and if there is NO one to intepret then "let them keep silent". So we have it in very orderly, sequential and in some cases completely silenced form according to "rules".

But in the case of Prophecy - EVEN if one is STANDING and relating a revelaton -- yet WHILE they are still standing one who is seated SUDDENLY gets a revelation then the FIRST must not be silenced and the SECOND has center stage!

WHAT CHAOS that would be IF God were not the SOURCE, AUTHOR and complete orchestrator of the entire exercise of the gift!!

It would not have worked if all it was was a bunck of people gathering who "had the good feel to speak FORTH on impulse"

in Christ,

Bob

13. tjfkbrawny

tjfkbrawny New Member

Now that is an interesting way to say it.

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This thread does not have much input.

BobRyan and Alex are the only two who gave a view about the OP question.

Bob's view takes care of the OP question completely declaring the OT and the NT examples given as one in the same.

Alex's view takes care of the OT but leaves the NT example undefined.

Should I consider the lack of input on this as most do not know for sure? I'm not sure and would hope that there would be several here who has looked into this and is capeable of some good solid exgesis on it.

Maybe most agree with Bob and need not say more.

But for any who does not agree with Bob, like Alex, then I ask for some alternative definition of the NT example given in the OP. What did Paul mean when he encouraged believers to prophesies?