1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Give a man a fish...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I realize this is not "politics in the govt sense, but, in another thread (paid leave) the discussion is whether the govt should force a business to provide paid leave for urgent family situations.

I did not want to hijack my own subject, so here goes

The saying goes, give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish, he will eat for a life time.

I will use this philosophy, when our church starts a food closet ministry.
    Normally, a person will come and get the food they need or want.
    Then they go home. Maybe they have food stamps, maybe they have visited other food closets and ect

In our church, the food closet will be the responsibility of the deacons. First, only the deacons will take food out of the closet. The deacon and his wife will then take the groceries to the home of the individual in need. The Deacon will help put the groceries away. The reason - to find out the the real problem. Is there plenty of beer in the fridge. Is there food that is 6 moths old, ect. Does Mom know how to economically prepare food. Does Dad know how to budget money to have sufficient food in the home.
    It will be the Deacons job to find and help correct the problem, not just the symptoms.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Salty

2. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I think it's great, and very Biblical, to have the deacons to be in charge of the benevolent funds. This is fundamental to properly helping others! By this way there's no entitlement envolved and the giver gets to see how their help is being used. If they don't like what they see they can stop helping or help in a different way. If they like what they see they can help some more. The same thing should hold true at work. If an employer want to offer additional help to certain employees because they like the work they do from them or just feel like helping someone they can. If they don't then they don't have to do so. It should be up to the giver to give what's theirs to give and God will judge what they do or don't do. The less government has to do with it the better.

#2 Dragoon68, Jun 9, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2007