1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Give me the Old-Time hymns, not this new-fangled stuff!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Baptist Believer, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "What's wrong with the inspiring hymns with which we grew up? When I go to church, it is to worship God, not to be distracted with learning a new hymn. Last Sunday's was particularly unnerving. While the text was good, the tune was unsingable and the new harmonies were quite discordant." (From an 1890 letter to a minister complaining about the new hymn, "What A Friend We Have in Jesus”)

"Was it the organist's idea or yours that our peaceful worship service was shattered by that new hymn last Sunday? The music was sacrilegious; something one would expect to hear in a den of iniquity, not a church! Don't expect me even to attempt to sing it next time!" (From a letter written in 1874 complaining about the hymn, "I Love To Tell The Story")

"Pastor, I am not music scholar, but I feel I know appropriate church music when I hear it. Last Sunday's new hymn, if you call it that, sounded like a sentimental love ballad one might expect to hear crooned in a saloon. If you persist in exposing us to rubbish like this in God's house, don't be surprised if many of the faithful look for a new place to worship. The hymns we grew up with are all we need." (From a letter written in 1865 regarding the hymn, "Just As I Am")

2. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! [​IMG]

3. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Awesome - I love it!

4. Pete

Pete New Member

How great must the standard of hymns been back then for those hymns mentioned to get that reaction? What a loss! For "Just as I am" to be called a sentimental love ballad...I guess that writer is just lucky they are not around to see how some today compare with that "ballad"...All the more reason to work to keep the great ones that remain, and to jump on ones that just don't come up to the same standard.

Speaking of which...This morning at Church we had this one:

In loving-kindness Jesus came
    My soul in mercy to reclaim,
    And from the depths of sin and shame
    Through grace He lifted me.

From sinking sand He lifted me,
    With tender hand He lifted me,
    From shades of night to plains of light,
    O praise His Name, He lifted me!

He called me long before I heard,
    Before my sinful heart was stirred,
    But when I took Him at His word,
    Forgiv’n, He lifted me.

His brow was pierced with many a thorn,
    His hands by cruel nails were torn,
    When from my guilt and grief, forlorn,
    In love He lifted me.

Now on a higher plane I dwell,
    And with my soul I know ’tis well;
    Yet how or why I cannot tell
    He should have lifted me.

I don't recall hearing it before, however every second or third week we have been having the Hills "Jesus What A Beautiful Name" :rolleyes:

To quote the dog from the old Warner Bros cartoon "It just don't add up..."

5. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Did I miss the point of the initial post? I thought it was that old-timers would always resist new music coming in, no matter how it was being used by God to bless people, such as CCM today, because to them everything would have to be done "the way we've always done it." Did I misunderstand?

6. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

Great post Pete. [​IMG]

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cute parody.

Ludicrous, of course, but that is what makes parodies so humorus! :D

Does anyone have any REAL stories/reactions to some of the songs we now accept as "old-time hymns"?

8. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

It's actually quite true. It is from an issue of a 1998 Presbyterian "InChoirer."

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For real? I think I can smell a parody. Just because it was in a choir magazine does not make it historical. :eek:

But I could be wrong and will admit it when proven. :rolleyes:

10. Pete

Pete New Member

Taufgesinnter, you didn't miss the point, I think that was the post's intention. To imply that the criticism towards the muck of today is only inspired by a "old = good/new = bad"...Bah humbug [​IMG] I think it works better at being a war-cry to stand against slosh. If "Just as I am" is a "sentimental love ballad" in comparison to what was around then, how great were they? [​IMG] Worth hunting down and keeping I think [​IMG]

Bro Enda, thanks ;) [​IMG]