1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Giving an offering while on public assistance

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are on pubic assistance ( food stamps, welfare, ect,) should you be giving money to your church?

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other brethren may see this different but this is how I understand it... I know it takes money to run a church, with upkeep of the building, and various expenses of the clergy and helping out members in need... If one is on public assistance and they feel they can't contribute monetarily are there not other places in the church, where they can?... If money is a burden, why should a member feel a burden to give?... Wouldn't it be better since I'm sure the church knows who is in this condition, to wait until the member is back on their feet and is free to give as others?... We shouldn't look down on others who cannot give because of their circumstances... If a person on public assistance feels compelled in their heart to give, then their offering shouldn't be refused, but if not they shouldn't be compelled to give... Those are my thoughts!... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent post tyndale - IMHO - the "job" of a person on public assistance is to get off as soon a reasonably possible.

And I suppose some (exp non- religious) would say if you have money to give to your church - you dont need to get it from the govt.

4. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is so, and while I was on public assistance, way back in the day I was on a program called workfare... I worked for the public assistance I got... Can everyone do like I did?... It depends, each case is different and not all are the same... My Father not on public assistance but raising a family of four, couldn't give money to the church at that time because money was tight... To this day he taught me a valuable lesson, if you can't give from your wallet, then give to the church your time!... In Matthew 25:34-40 Jesus commended those who gave of themselves to others and not one time is money mentioned... Those are my thoughts from one who has been in the trenches... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is an interesting story I like to tell every now and then... We were gathered at our church for lunch, following morning service... Some of the brethren were in front of the church having a discussion with our preacher, when we see this lady come walking up... She said I really need to talk to your pastor, this is urgent!... Well he was right there and he said what can I do for you?... She said sir... I could really use some money as I need to go to the store and buy my babies some food and if you would all be so kind could you please help me ( just a side note our church was located in an impoverished area of town)... The minister thought a moment and said, I know my church and these brethren here... We can do better than that!... We are about to go into lunch and many of the dishes the sister prepared are homemade... Go home and bring your babies here and you and them can go to the head of the line and have lunch with us... There is plenty for all!... We waited and waited, then went to lunch... She left and we never saw her again... I'll never forget the pastors comment... Well I guess she and her babies were not hungry enough!... Brother Glen:)

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several times, folks on the street have asked me for cash - to buy food. I offer to take them to a restaurant or the Rescue mission - but like your "friend" I guess they weren't hungry enough!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I would like a friend like you Salty!... How many churches would open their doors to feed those that are hungry?... You may not come for the message but come for the lunch and you can see the message... We have all shared hungry days!... Brother Glen:)

8. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God can feed thousands with a few fish and loaves. He can rain manna down from the sky.

The spirit of our giving is more important than the amount or the circumstances.

9. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is what I usually do as well with pan handlers. If they ask me for food outside a Walmart or fast food restaurant, I'll volunteer to buy food for them. If they need gas at a gas station, I'll volunteer the gas. One man was honest and said it was for beer outside a convenience store, I decided to give him two bucks for being so honest. And hey the day was hot. Usually I get few takers though, but when someone says "thank you so much, God bless you" when I take them in to get some stuff at a McDonalds, it feels worthwhile. That said, I prefer structured Christian charity as it can accomplish so much more.

I will still give some money to a pan handler who demands money though, because of my reading of the Sermon on the Mount to give to those who ask. It also gives me a way to share the Gospel when someone is given grace and I follow up with my faith. However, I am much more generous to those who are honest with me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If, as in my case for a long time, the benefits are for disability and there is little to no chance of a job, then I would hope they would try to donate something.

As for cases where the money is temporary such as TANF, then the question is open as to whether someone, who in our biblical parlance would be on the list of widows receiving aid from the church, should use such charity for purposes other than their well being. Of course, if they feel they have extra and cannot give it back to the government or the church, then I see no reason why it could not go to those more needy.