1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Glenn Beck: Japan Earthquake is a Message From God

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by JTornado1, Mar 19, 2011.

1. JTornado1

JTornado1 Member

2. tank1976

tank1976 New Member

I may not necessarily agree with Beck.... but the Bible speaks of creation groaning because of sin and longing for things to be made right by God.

That is a close but not perfect translation... hope everyone gets the idea.

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I very rarely agree with Beck on anything related to religion.

By saying that we should follow the Ten Commandments because they "work", he's preaching a false gospel that is a mixture of works-righteousness and pragmatism. We don't follow the Ten Commandments because they work. We are to follow them because they are God's laws.

If Beck weren't in such a works-righteousness based cult, he would recognize that we are incapable of keeping the Ten Commandments and that the Ten Commandments are only a codification of the laws of God has already written on our hearts and are, as Paul explained in his letter to the Romans, a tool to illustrate our sinfulness, not a life improvement program.

Now on the other hand, he could have a point about God's purposes for allowing Japan to experience this Earthquake. While we are not under the threat of God's punishment in this life, we do still face God's discipline. There have been instances in the past where God has removed His hand of protection from a person, a family, or a region or, in some cases, even caused calamaties in order to bring people to repentance and while I'm not a prophet, nor the son of a prophet, I can't rule that out in this case.

Whenever something like this happens, the question is always asked, "how could a loving God allow this". In fact, I'm a little surprised that there aren't a dozen such threads here, now.

But the problem is that the people asking the question are asking the question backwards. The question isn't, "how could a loving God allow this", rather, it should be "How can a holy, righteous, and just God continue to hold out His hand of protection day after day after day for a people who have cursed Him, denied Him, rebelled against Him, and repeatedly break His laws?"