1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Glorification??

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by zrs6v4, Sep 3, 2009.

1. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I have been studying purgatory which is basically the Catholic view of Glorification that I have many problems with:BangHead:. Anyway I was wondering if anyone has any good sources on glorification, preferably a compilation of Scripture along with views. but some questions I was wondering were-

1. Does the bible say when we will be glorified after we die or is this left unclear as to at what point? is this before or after the final judgment, is it immediately when our soul leaves the body and united with Christ?

2. What exactly do we know about holding places for spirits? Or what can we compile of Abrahams Bosom and Hades? Are these other places and are they still in effect? Are Abraham's Bosom/paradise and Hades other names for heaven and hell?

I personally have a preconceived notion that there is only earth, heaven and hell. I also had the notion that the second we die we encounter Christ and are glorified. I have no idea why I believe that which is weak sauce to you theologians.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

You ask two appropriate questions that warrant answers. I agree with your final statement: At the present time there is only earth, heaven, and hell. However, with the return of Jesus Christ and the Great White Throne Judgement there will be some changes made.

Scripture states that there will be a new heaven and new earth, the final location of the glorified Church will be the new earth and God will dwell with His people [Revelation 21, particularly verses 1-4. [I do not believe that the term new heaven applies to the heaven of God.] Scripture also states that death and hell are cast into the lake of fire [Revelation 20:14, 15] prepared for the devil and his angels [Matthew 25:41] This would also include all the unsaved.

Considering your second question first. I believe certain people have taken the hyperbole of Abraham’s Bosom and Paradise and created nonexistent places by applying too strict a literal interpretation. When a Saint of God dies his spirit/soul goes immediately into the presence of God. I believe the following Scripture establish this truth:

Genesis 5:22-24
    22. And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
    23. And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years:
    24. And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

Where did God tke Enoch. I believe that He took him to heaven. When Enoch entered Heaven he had a glorified body [like the resurrection body discussed by Paul in 1 Corinthians 15] and a regenerated soul/spirit as discussed in John 3 and Ephesians 1 &2.

Scripture further states:

Ecclesiastes 12:7. Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it..

The dust here refers to the body, buried, to await the resurrection [John 5:28, 29 and 1 Corinthians 15]. The glorified spirit returns to God.

Your question #1 has been answered in part above. Following is some additional information.

When the Saint, the true believer, dies his spirit goes immediately into the presence of God. As such it must be in a glorified state. There the spirit dwells in the presence of God to await the second Coming of Jesus Christ and the resurrection of the body. The resurrection body is a glorified body as clearly taught in 1 Corinthians 15 and is reunited with the soul/spirit to dwell in the presence of God eternally.

I believe the above presents a very brief and hurried summary of my understanding of death the events that follow. If on reflection I find something that does not correctly reflect my views I will respond accordinglw or expand upon them.