1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Glory to God?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by drfuss, Dec 8, 2012.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I am reading a book that says that God does not need man to receive glory. This got me to thinking; how does God receive Glory?

Does God receive glory from someone or something that has no choice, but to give him glory. What does receiving glory involve? praise, respect, fear, worship, envy, fellowship, admiration, love, etc. ??? Can these type of things only be given by someone or something that has a choice?

The heavens show His glory. To whom?

What are your thoughts?

2. Herald

Herald New Member

God does not need anything to give Him glory. God would be glorified in Himself even if there was no creation. Everything that God creates glorifies Him, but what He creates is not necessary for Him to receive glory.

3. Herald

Herald New Member

I will also add that even the sinner glorifies God; not by the sin itself but by the contrast between sin and God's holiness. God triumphs over all forms of evil, glorifying Himself in the process.

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

God's ways are above or ways; so it is difficult for us to completely understand God's glory.

Considering it on the human level, can I receive glory from something that has no option, but to give me glory?

For example, I cannot receive glory from a car itself when I but a new car. However, I can receive glory from someone else who admires my new car; because he has the option for liking it or not liking it.

From our understanding, is it the same with God?

5. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In God's case, yes, absolutely, of course.

If the people had not shouted "Hosanna" for/at Christ, the very rocks would have cried out "Hosanna."

The Archangel

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Why God Created

Revelation 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

7. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If God wanted His glory coming from the mentality of rocks He could have certainly kept it that simple and done so, but He created much more complex creatures with far more abilities than that. I figure there is a purpose to creating creatures with the complex abilities of reason and intellect to make free choices to respond to the truths of His on-going genuine loving influences He puts into the world. God is Truth, He demonstrates the power of His Love and thereby recieves a true response from the creatures He purposefully designed the way He did which brings Him glory in the form of credible genuine reciprocally returned love of this Truth He is.

#7 Benjamin, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If the fall into sin and death did not happen what you say might have happened. The fall did happen so there is no...do over....for modern man.
    He is not a clean slate as you suggest.You start with an unbiblical premise and expect good results.....not going to happen.

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By grace are ye saved.--- Grace?
    Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with [them] according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered. 1 Peter 3:7
    And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was. John 17:5 ---What is this glory?
    Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; Hebrews 2:14 ---How is death destroyed?
    So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where thy sting? O Hades, where thy victory? 1 Cor 15:54,55
    so also it hath been written, `The first man Adam became a living creature,' the last Adam [is] for a life-giving spirit, 1 Cor 15:45 YLT
    For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. Rom 5:10

The grace of God by which we shall be saved was God the Father raising his Son Jesus from the dead. The glory he has with the Father being eternal life the gift of God.
    John 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

God is glorified by giving life to that which he who had the power of death has caused to die. What was Satan that old serpent the Devil doing in the garden of God?

Just how much glory can God be glorified with?

#9 percho, Dec 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012