1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gluttony, America's Favorite Sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jul 16, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Since it's apparent you only want to argue, you must know of the minority. Type 2 is largely an obesity disease.

#21 webdog, Jul 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was more for information on why so many Americans are getting Diabetes II. We really need to change our lifestyles and eating habits. It is true that there are those who are predesposed to contacting Diabetes II. But there are many who probably could a long life diabetes free with proper eating.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not arguing, just stating the truth, that type 2 diabetes is not just in obese people, but perfectly skinny people also. And locally more skinny people have it then obese people. I have known many obese people without diabetes. The 'logical' deductions being done here on this topic are not true facts.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

On this board, just about any disease or illness you can have, or any medications you can take for it are sin, if people on this board are to be believed.
    Which I they are not.

6. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

I sure hope that you are not talking about my post #20!

I must admit that I do not have good communication skills. Maybe my post sounded like I was calling diabetes a sin. My answer is no. I was only talking
    about gluttony which could be anybody who eats more than need.I was only wanting us to pray for all of the diabetic who were on this thread. My mother is a diabetic and she is one sweet Christian.

If I was misunderstood,please accept my apology.

7. ServingHim

ServingHim New Member

We are all gluttons in some shape or form. Maybe food, maybe other things. Let's take care of the logs in our own eye, before we start condemning fat people. We've all got our addictions, hangups, and problems, and thank God for grace! Does that grace give us a license? Of course we know it doesn't, but let's not pretend that gluttony is just a sin of fat people.

8. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

I agree with you and I did not mean to be offensive.

I stand guilty at times of being a glutton too. Sorry, if I spoke in a manner that was not pleasing the
    Lord. I believe the word "gluttony" is in the Bible.

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're ok. Yes, gluttony is in the Bible. I think some of us are a bit sensitive about this topic because it has been beaten to death previously. Seems some of us here do judge by personal appearance even though God judges the heart. We get tired of hearing what we should wear and eat. It just gets old, and we get defensive.

10. ServingHim

ServingHim New Member

jilphn1022,
    I wasn't replying to you directly, just a comment across the board in this thread. Sorry, if I came across as harsh, I just wanted to "throw my 2 cents worth in". I do feel there are much more important matters to discuss, such as why the real work of the church (Evangelism) is almost entirely neglected in our modern church culture.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree. If people want to give out info on diabetes or overreating, other forums are better. This is a debate forum, not a general information on health forum. Everyone knows there are problems with diabetes 2, eating too much, etc. This has been beaten to death.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

It's not you, it's just that weve been through this topic many times, and some insist all gluttons are obese, not true, and it certainly isn't true that only obese people have diabetes. We constantly hear on this board that if you have this illness or disease, or if you take medications you are automatically sinful, and a failure. while these same peolle take medications for illnesses they have.

13. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

While I was in China, I did not see anyone who was over weight among the Chinese people. They love to eat and gathering around the table is an important part of social life. Do they over-eat? I did not notice any that did when I ate with them.

Here in the good ol' USA, we over-indulge in just about everything whether it's eating or some other vice. For example, spending to the point of not being able to make your bills is not good stewardship. Being on the BB every second of your life is not redeeming your time properly. The list could go on. But don't we love to overlook some in favor of others? Gluttony is a sin, same as divorce, same as fornication, same as gossip, same as pride, same as covetousness, same as lying, same as stealing, etc. But you don't hear many sermons or conversation among believers about the subject. Possibly because there is a little gluttony that could be found out.

14. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Thanks ServingHim, DonnA and abcgrad94:

I am so glad that the Lord loves and died for us all in spite of our particular sin.
    Yes gluttony is a sin but there are many other sins mentioned in the Bible too.

15. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Before this thread is closed. I would like to add

as any of us really taken the time to see what "gluttony" means. I did a quick check and I found out gluttony does not only include food. In the Bible I believe it means anything in excess. Wastefulness-where there is excess-there is waste.

Could I be guilty of wasting time because I spend too much time in fun and not doing my duties as a wife or mother...
    Or waste time so I don't have my quiet time with the Lord?
    Drinking in excess can lead to drunkenness which would be a waste of money too.

Believe me a slender Christian could be guilty of gluttony and no one but God would know irregardless if they live in China, Italy or USA.

I have a lot of sins in my life that will never put me in jail,but could separate me from having fellowship with the Lord and fellow believers.

16. Joe

Joe New Member

You were keeping track of their food intake? :confused: anyway, moving on....

I'll address what I bolded in your post above.

We all know the first thing that comes to mind with the word gluttony-fat people

Knowing this, whether a person was fat due to lifestyle or heredity, preaching a sermon on gluttony would automatically be publicly singling out select individuals. Preaching of other sins do not publicly single out certain individuals.

Publicly disrespecting church members by singling them out due to appearance is unfair. It is the automatic result whenever the Pastor preaches on Gluttony.

#36 Joe, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  17. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Let me clarify. While I was in China sitting with the locals at the dinner table, I did not notice the over-eating that I have witnessed here in America. They take small portions of what is served, so yes, you are aware of what they eat. It's common. On the other hand, I have sat with Americans who eat until they can't eat any more. For example, I had invited a pastor friend and his family for lunch at a buffet. The man ate and ate and ate. Is it any wonder why his stomach is about to burst. It is gluttony.

If a preacher wants to preach on gluttony, then I would suggest dealing with it in the proper manner. Skipping over certain sins is not the answer.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is a very good, important point. Gluttony simply means excess. Excess of ANYTHING is gluttony.

19. Joe

Joe New Member

Oh, I understand now.

To be fair, people eat alot at Buffets. He did what we all do at buffets.

If you want your Pastor to eat less food, maybe take him to a healthier Restaurant. Or have him and his family over for dinner in your home. If they like your food, offer to give them a copy of the receipe (we always have extra copies if someone asks us) Some receipes break down the nutrition content and calorie intake.

That is how you can help a glutton. Not by embarrassing them. No one wants to be embarrassed for their sins via a sermon which directly points to us somehow. I should be so lucky that gluttony would be the least of my sins.

Mark 7: 17-20 When He had entered a house away from the crowd, His disciples asked Him concerning the parable. So He said to them, “Are you thus without understanding also? Do you not perceive that whatever enters a man from outside cannot defile him, because it does not enter his heart but his stomach, and is eliminated, thus purifying all foods?” And He said, “What comes out of a man, that defiles a man.

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

absoutley, and gluttony with food does not mean a person is obese.
    I know of someone, have eaten with them many times, loves to eat, and will eat a lot of food, yet you couldn't look at them and tell they ever over eat anything.