1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gluttony, America's Favorite Sin

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

He is not my pastor, but a fellow-pastor. I'm afraid my wife doesn't keep receipes. When we first married, I really thought she was trying to poison me. She used to be what we call a "Biblical cook": everything was either a bloody sacrifice or a burnt-offering.

:tonofbricks:
    But she's much better after 21 years! :godisgood:

I'm certainly not out to embarrass anyone. But if I were preaching through Proverbs 23, I couldn't skip over the verses about gluttony. It is what God has recorded for our instruction. I would instead encourage them to go in the way that is right, just as if I was preaching against anger, pride, lust, etc.

2. Joe

Joe New Member

Agreed, it's best not to skip over it. If you stick with the biblical definition (with no reference to food/weight), and make it very brief, it could probably be pulled off without singling anyone out. You could do it :thumbs:
    Your wife must be good looking!

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo. This is why I get so upset when people say innane comments like "It's a sin to be fat." Um, no. It's a sin to overeat. Excess weight is a RESULT of overeating. So is wearing down all the enamel on one's teeth from stomach acid from eating and purging. Guess who always gets called the glutton? Not the skinny person who pukes after they indulge. It's always the overweight person who gets pointed at, because the results are VISIBLE.

When, oh when, will we stop looking at the outward appearance and address the heart?

4. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People most always neglect other reasons people get fat. Certain medications cause people to gain a lot of weight. Another possibility could be viruses.

http://www.aolhealth.com/diet/basics/news-fat-virus

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

This is certainly true, TC, and hormones is one of them! I had never been overweight in my life until about 5 years ago when I had to stop riding my bicycle and walking due to COPD and was taking hormones too. And my eating habits did not change one bit. :(

I have lost 25# since going on a diabetic diet (I'm prediabetic). The doctor only asked me to lose 15, so I guess I'm doing pretty well. I've never tested over 97 at home, but the doctor said my cumulative??? count was 99 and 100 is when you go from prediabetic to diabetic. It all confuses me!!!

I go back for lab tests next week so I will see if all of this has done any good.

6. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: I hope you don't mind if I borrow that one. :laugh:

7. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Not at all. Seems I heard it years ago (the biblical cook) and it's funny, but true.