1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gluttony and drunkards

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Feb 27, 2006.

1. insuranceman

insuranceman New Member

I agree with you TaterTot. We need to concentrate on the clearly defined standards of God's Word and not be drawn into Pharaseeism in the gray areas.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Insurance, so does that mean since there is a gray area that gluttony is not a sin?

3. mnw

mnw New Member

When you are as wide as you are tall, you know the sin has been committed...(Unless it is a medical condition.)

I would say gluttony is eating more than we need. It does not mean we cannot enjoy food, but is that fourth bucket of KFC really needed? Is that seventh plate at the all you can eat necessary?

I think we all know when we have eaten too much.

4. standingfirminChrist

My eating habits are sometimes strange to say the least.

My doctors have said in the past that because of my body's high metabolism rate, I burn off calories faster than normal.

I am able to eat large amounts and it not affect me.

In 2004, I was eating 16 hotdogs every Sunday for my afternoon meal. And I did not feel like I had overindulged at all. I needed the extra strength. Doctors said the food habits were not affecting my health at all.

No problem at all. I could go out in yard and enjoy throwing the basketball trying to hit the basket that I could not see. lol

I would agree with mnw though... we know when we have eaten too much.

5. insuranceman

insuranceman New Member

PastorSBC, gluttony is indeed a sin, but the Holy Spirit will bring conviction on an individual believer. It is not for us to judge others in this aspect. Some sins are more apparent to an observer than others such as drunkeness. Skinny people can commit gluttony and at the same time just because a person is overweight does not mean they are guilty of gluttony.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Insurance, every person can commit gluttony regardless of any factors.

This is one of those issues that can become very "emotional" for certain people. So I think I shall stop now before I cause anyone to get emotional. [​IMG]

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

As Jesus said in Luke 21, the danger of surfeiting (eating too much) is that it will cause your heart to be overcharged and the day of the Lord will come upon you unawares, like a thief. It is hard to stay focused on the spiritual when your too busy feeding the flesh.

8. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I asked my friends at lunch about this issue today. Where does gluttony begon? Second helpings? Thirds? No one seems to be able to draw a line. But for sure, its not just overweight people who are guilty of gluttony.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Gluttony begins, imo, when you are full, but continue to consume food out of love for the food. Another example of gluttony is when one eats food for a primary purpose other than consumption, such as emotional satisfation.

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

good definition. We so often eat because its there, or because we get a "hankerin" for something. We surely dont eat to live, lol.

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Ecclesiastes 10:17
    17 Blessed art thou, O land, when thy king is the son of nobles, and thy princes eat in due season, for strength, and not for drunkenness!