1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gluttony

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 12, 2011.

1. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

5' 7" @ 160# with a 34" waist. What about you? In case you missed it, I believe Scripture clearly states that gluttony is as sinful as drunkenness. I'll have the occasional glass of wine or mixed drink with my wife(in our own home) & the occasional bowl of ice cream, but I don't allow myself to be brought under the control of either one.

#21 michael-acts17:11, May 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2011
  2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a man is in the practice of condemning believers for sin he has problems to begin with. And one can not go about drawing a line on maturity because of one apparent thing, such as obesity, which can not be hid and use that to conclude that a person is spiritually immature, if that is what you are suggesting. I'm sure there are are many men that are very spritually mature that still struggle with their weight and self-controll issues. We all do somewhere along the line. I am also sure that there are many men that have their not so apparent sins well hid in there closets that are not so spiritually mature in comparison.

You may be speaking in general, but just saying to be careful sounding like your placing a biased judgment against obesity. That mindset is exactly why this subject is often thought of as "taboo" because of those who sound cruel, hurtful and accusing when they discuss it.

#22 Benjamin, May 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011
  3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Hey Ben.
    I have gotten really loaded down recently and have a lot on my plate, but I would love to get back and discuss this with you. I will be off here for a while, so my apologies but again, would love to come back it. I agree with your above and I don't disagree with being healthy either :) (just wanted put that out there). However, I find it problematic for many out there trying to make the bible into a dietary book or that it actually speaks to any certain weight or size sinful. While I agree that overweight is not healthy, the issue really isn't 'overeating' but improper eating AND little to NO exercise. These two things alone can increase weight without one gorging themselves. Add to that medical conditions, lifestyles, ect...

When I was in high school, I ate 4 huge meals a day - All fried, greasy and often fast food (I'm from the South), and washed it down with Southern Sweet Tea (that is 2 cups of sugar to 1 gallon of tea). Yet I maintained a 10% body fat ratio. And yes, I meant enjoying often such left overs for breakfast like - batter fried pork chops and rice and gravy FOR breakfast with jalapenos (yum!) However I was also very active with a low metabolism but again, I was extremely active with Martial arts, outside football with guys, outdoor -whatever... Now my brother on the other hand (the little twerp) can eat all day - and quite literally just about does - and sit and do nothing at all for weeks and never gain so much as 5 pounds, and he hasn't changed his diet (I have for the most part).

Any way, when I have more time I will address your response properly but for now I spent much more time on here than I should have already.. good discussion and thank you. Don't worry by the way- the more you study scripture your hermeneutic will change to be more proper and will move over to the Premil side. :)

#23 Allan, May 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    - Anonymous.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Overeating is a sin. Let's just get that straight, but it's not a vice that disqualifies a man from the ministry.

6. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

If you look at a person that is obese do you automatically assume it is from gluttony? If you do then you may have misjudge. I know a lady that was very thin in high school, she was a preachers daughter and is a preachers wife. About 8 years ago she came to a reunion and was very obese, upon talking to her I found she had a thyroid problem and the medication she was taking caused extreme weight gain, she wasn't over eating but was obese due to a health condition.
    I would be considered over weight, and have dieted several times. Lost nearly 50 pounds. Then gained a about 3/4 of that back. To keep the weight off I have to eat about 25 carbs a week, and all the protein I want and that is not healthy. I consume in a normal day about 1900 calories and yet cannot lose weight. I am walking about a mile a day which is good. I had my physical last December, cholesterol 180 to 190 range LDL was elevated thus the walking. I am on blood pressure medication. But I just have a problem keeping the weight off. I seem to be able right now to maintian the weight I am at with what I am doing but everyone would assume I am obese. So would you consider that a glutton?

When you see someone who is overweight (obese) don't jump to the conclussion it is from gluttony, it could be from a very small metabolism or a health problem. Just for the record in High School I was 5' 10 and weighed 210, and was actively playing sports and muscular. Height weight charts say I should be at 185 to do that I would have to look like a "STRING BEAN" and eat about 900 calories a day, I could do that but how healthy would that be?

7. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Tell me you're not using an extreme example to excuse the prolific gluttony within the church & the culture. We hear sermons on separation on a consistent basis. Where is the separation from our culture of gluttony? Look at other cultures around the world & you'll see that we are a society of food addicts. Too little exercise + way too much food = sinful gluttony.

8. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

Gluttony is a sin, I am saying don't judge every obese person as a glutton.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gluttony:
    person who eats and drinks excessively or voraciously
    Voraciously (adjective ) = craving or consuming large quantities of food: a voracious appetite

So here is my question - at what point does eating become excessive?
    Would you agree that the BMI chart would indicate a person being overweight

10. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

It does but does it mean that person is a glutton?

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the question - but just like Bible Doctrine - much is left to interpretation.

and - could overeating be a C/A debate?
    ie- are some pre-destined to be overweight?