1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gnostic OSAS

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Marty Cauley, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Marty Cauley

Marty Cauley New Member

Hey group,
    I'm new to the discussion but joined because I want to research OSAS. What links/information would you suggest for pro-OSAS? I am particularly interested in information that would respond to the NOSAS assertion that OSAS is gnostic in origin.

In his book, The Doctrine of Grace in the Apostolic Fathers, Torrance has conceded that the AF did not believe in OSAS.

It is a common assertion that AF were responding to gnostic OSAS. Has the OSAS camp responded by arguing for example that the AF position was an Arminian counteraction to gnostic licentious OSAS?

I assume that there are those on this site who are pro-OSAS. For those who are NOSAS, recommendations for the best counter links are fine.
    Marty Cauley

2. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I am VERY pro Eternal Security. Here is a site with a slew of links concerning Eternal Security, both pro and con.

[​IMG]

3. Marty Cauley

Marty Cauley New Member

Thank you. I looked over a number of the sites. But I am particularly interested in the OSAS response to Gnostic criticism by NOSAS. Have you seen anything like that?

4. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

5. Marty Cauley

Marty Cauley New Member

Assuming then that there has not been a OSAS to Gnostic criticism, has there been OSAS response to claims that OSAS originated with Augustine? Looking for pro-OSAS that gives history of OSAS.

6. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Marty,

I have been doing some research on the history of the OSAS myself. I personally believe OSAS, and my research was along the path of "when did the doctrine develop into what we have today." I have read a great deal about the doctrine starting with Augustine, but I am not convinced. The more I study the more I realize that Augustine's views are simply the "perseverance of the saints" (5th point of TULIP) and not OSAS. Some would argue that they are the same, but I believe there are very fundamental differences.

With that said, the oldest lead that I have is a book by Samuel Morland, "The Churches of the Valley of the Piedmont." The book is out of print and I have ordered a copy, but still waiting to receive it. Have you heard of it?
    It is supposedley a history of Waldensian movement...I am not sure. Hope to find out soon.

Max

7. Marty Cauley

Marty Cauley New Member

Hey Max,
    I had not heard of the book, but I'm interested. I agree that Augustine's POS is not OSAS. I would be more in line with Kendall, Stanley, Hodges, and Dillow.

Although Dillow is pretty substantial in his defense, I would like to dig deeper.

It is possible that Ambrosiaster and Jerome might be better candidates for apostolic OSAS.

Let me know what Churches of the "Valley of the Piedmontis" is like. Any other recommedations for non-POS OSAS that you might make that I might have overlooked would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Marty