1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Go - - - or - - - Send

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by In His Grace, Dec 23, 2005.

1. In His Grace

In His Grace New Member

Some will say, I'll Go witness to a person for the Lord.

Others will say, I'll wait for the the Holy Spirit to Send me a person to witness to.

I can't seem to see ourselves waiting for the Holy Spirit to send someone our way, that sounds too much like an excuse to not do anything at all.

What say you? :rolleyes:

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

If you are able to go out, than go out in faith and be out there where God CAN send you the people to witness to. I think what you say is true, In His Grace....

I believe we need to go and purposely try to witness to people. The only time when I think a person should be "waiting" for God to send the person to them are those who are bed-ridden and house-bound. Ive known many testimonies of individuals like this who pray that God will send them people and He does. They witness to nurses and doctors, delivery people, telemarketers.....

But if you are able-bodied, then go!

[​IMG]

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Matthew 28:19 "Therefore GO and make disciples..."

I have read that several times and I have yet to see the word wait in there anywhere.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen! And it is just as clear in Mark 16:15, where we are to go and preach to every single person in the world. That way we'll never run out of prospects, amen? [​IMG]

Here in Asia you usually have to build a relationship before you can get a hearing because of the Confucian basis of society. Confucianism is built on relationships. However, half my church came through one of my tracts and half come through relationships. The interesting thing is that those who have come through tracts are of the "lower" part of society. Mr. H. is a newspaper deliverer who got one of my tracts, sent me a postcard and trusted Christ when I visited him. Mrs. S., who was in a mental hospital for 10 years, got one of my tracts and trusted Christ through it. The K. family were believers when they got my tract, but he can't get a good job because he won't work on Sunday. Plus, they have a Downs Syndrome daughter.

"Every creature" evangelism! [​IMG]

5. In His Grace

In His Grace New Member

Go! Go! Go!
    Amen and Praise the Lord!

I love the insight everyone has shared on this topic.

John of Japan,
    Is there some thought provoking words to your tracts that makes them stand out? (Considering what your are up against over there.)

6. RandR

RandR New Member

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In His Grace, I don't like to use translated tracts for Japan, though I've translated a few myself in previous years. I write my own tracts targeted specifically at the Japanese culture. Here is an English translation of one of mine written in Japanese. Have a wonderful Christmas!

THE JAPANESE AND HEAVEN'S PEOPLE
    By John R. Himes

The average Japanese is very kind and polite. So, as a foreigner I enjoy living in Japan. In one way, kind, polite Japanese are similar to the people of heaven. In heaven there is no unkindness nor rudeness. That's because there is absolutely no sin there, nor sadness nor pain.
    However, some Japanese will go to Hell when they die. As a friend of Japan, I say from my heart: don't go to Hell! Hell to a Japanese is a very terrible place.
    According to the Bible, Jesus Christ said, "And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mark 9:47-48)
    However, the loneliness of hell is, to the Japanese who live in a group society, especially horrible. The reasons are, in Hell you are:

SEPARATED FROM FAMILY FOREVER
    In hell, "family" and "ancestors" do not exist. You cannot talk or play with your family, or "comfort" your ancestors. But, if your ancestor has died without believing in Christ, and gone to Hell, what is he hoping now? According to Jesus, one who went to Hell said this: "Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house: For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment." (Luke 16:27-28)
    Your ancestor does not want you to go to Hell!

SEPARATED FROM THE COMPANY FOREVER
    In Hell, there are no office workers or secretaries or part-time workers. The people of Hell are all alone. You can never work hard together on the job, or go together to a restaurant afterds in Hell. In the same way, in Hell there are no human relations or fellowship or receptions or sports. In Hell there are no juniors or seniors. All are, in the same way, no more than sinners before God.

SEPARATED FROM THE NEIGHBORHOOD FOREVER
    In Hell there are no Neighborhood Associations. Since it is the place sinners go, God Himself rules. "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)

SEPARATED FROM THE MOTHER-COUNTRY FOREVER
    As a foreigner, I truly respect Japan. However, after death the only countries are Heaven and Hell. By all means, I hope you too will go to Heaven. So, how can you flee Hell and go to Heaven?

CHRIST'S SACRIFICE
    Jesus Christ died for your sins in your place on the Cross so that you would not have to go to Hell, and He rose again the third day. In that way, before God, Jesus took your punishment for your sins in your place. That risen Christ is waiting in Heaven for your prayer.
    "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8)
    What should you do? (1) Admit your sins before God. (2) Admit that you do not have power to save yourself. (3) In order to go to Heaven, tr5ust in no one but Christ. (4) Pray from your heart (not outwardly) in this way: "Lord Jesus Christ, I am a bad sinner. Please take away my sins, and cleanse my sinful heart. To go to Heaven, I am trusting only in You."
    How about it? Did you pray that way? Very well, what should you do now? (1) Quit idolatry. (2) Read the Bible and pray every day. If you don't have a Bible, the church will give you one. (3) Confess to some one the forgiveness of sins that comes from Jesus Christ. (4) Communicate with the church. The pastor will gladly lead you further.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of a chorus:

Be a missionary every day.
    Tell the world that Jesus is the way.
    Be it in the town or country, or a busy avenue,
    Africa or Asia, the task is up to you!
    So, be a missionary every day.
    Tell the world that Jesus is the way.
    The Lord is soon returning,
    There is no time to lose, so,
    Be a missionary, God's own emissary,
    Be a missionary today!

9. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I'm a goer.

10. standingfirminChrist

11. mnw

mnw New Member

When we "go" God "sends" them to us. So, in a sense, it is both.

MNW

12. mnw

mnw New Member

Someone just sent me this Italian Proverb. It came through just after I posted and made me smile.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great proverb--I love it! And, "He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubless come again rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him." If you don't go weeping, with a burden, you can't come back with sheaves.

14. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I'm sure we have all heard that the better greek rendering of Matt 28:18 is "As you are going...", which means that witnessing should be a matter of doing: you are out in the world, you should be witnessing.
    As for waiting for God to send someone, wouldn't that be the first person who crosses our paths?

Now, it's time for me to be more faithful to that...

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in 1974 I took one of the teens from our church to go witnessing at Fort Lee, Va. We went into the PX snack bar where there were over 100 people eating. I looked at Mark and told him there was no one to witness to! So we went outside. A few minutes later a solider and his wife were walking up to do their washing. Mark and I went up to them to invite them to our revival that evening. Long story short, they came and were both born again! After the service, Trini wanted to call home to Michigian, becaue she knew her sister had been praying for her!

Sgt Salty

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  17. His In China

His In China New Member

The first two letters of the word "Gospel" is Go.

Rom 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

God had a reason for mentioning feet! Can't go anywhere without our feeting taking us there.

As a prior soldier, I realize the importance of keeping the feet healthy. As a soldier of the cross, I realize how beautiful the feet are when we preach the gospel.

Can I get an Amen?

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, His In China.

I have size 12s. Does that mean anything spiritually? [​IMG]