1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God and Country

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by OldRegular, Jul 4, 2005.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Listening to David McCullough's description [Fox News] of the early days of the Revolution [published in his book 1776] leading to George Washington's victory at Trention, NJ on Christmas 1776 it is obvious to me that we owe our freedom to the providence of God.

Are we as a people in grave danger of squandering what God gave us through the rulings of a rogue Federal Court system and a society that seems more intent on glorifying the murder of the unborn, the perverted lifestyle of homosexuality, and a culture swamped in drugs and a hatred of Christianity, than in glorifying God who gave us all we have?

2. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Could you please provide a link, and was David
    McCulloghs's orginal text emboldened or is that
    your emphasis.

Thanks ;)

3. OldRegular

Do a google search on McCullough and you will find a number of reviews of his book 1776, some very negative.

The information I presented in my OP are simply my thoughts after hearing McCullough's discussion with Britt Hume and then considering the social mores of today along with the arrogance of the Supreme Court. The emboldened remarks are included for emphasis.

4. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Okay I was just wondering if McCullough or you
    wanted to pay special attention to something.

thanks for taking the liberty. ;)

5. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

I agree, but probably not for the same reasons you do:)

When Christ spoke of politics, he clearly kept them separate from the church and I believe it should be so. God gave us free will and he loved us still even when we didn't all follow. I don't think it's a good thing to cram Christianity down the throats of all people. God gave us all free will to choose and we should uphold and honor that. We can pass laws and make everything Christ stood for law, but we cannot MAKE everyone comply. I think our lives serve as a witness and we shouldn't force people to do anything. I am growing increasingly afraid of the comingling of faith and politics. We should not be looking to man, but to God.

6. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

TH, While I agree with this reasonong, I would hasten to point out that the potitics of today are running against Christian principals, and not only are our principals not getting much of a hearing anymore, they are under attack. The Democrats are openly against Christianity, as witness by the uncontested rhetoric from the DNC's Howard Dean.

7. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

Where is it written that we must try to get all the laws going in accordance with God's ways? What would the point of God given free will be if there were no choice? Just because there are laws that support something other than a Christian principle, it doesn't mean you have to follow it... for instance, just because it is legal to hire a prostitute in some states, its no sign you should hire one! And just because abortion is legal in some states, its no reason to get one! Man's law doesn't have to match up with God's law and I fail to see why it should!

8. billwald

billwald New Member

Then the Jews owed the gas ovens to the providence of God.

9. OldRegular

Where is it written that we must try to get all the laws going in accordance with God's ways? What would the point of God given free will be if there were no choice? Just because there are laws that support something other than a Christian principle, it doesn't mean you have to follow it... for instance, just because it is legal to hire a prostitute in some states, its no sign you should hire one! And just because abortion is legal in some states, its no reason to get one! Man's law doesn't have to match up with God's law and I fail to see why it should! </font>[/QUOTE]Psalm 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Looks like a reference to Biblical Israel.

11. OldRegular

Romans 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

12. Magnetic Poles

For our learning? Yes, we agree.

Do the rules for theocratic, biblical Israel necessarily apply to a modern republic? No!

13. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

I'm glad you said that, MP. It is a hard life to have so many questions and be met with mainly hatred and contempt and suspicion. I've been asking a lot of questions at my churches since I was just a little bit of a thing. Those who answered sincerely and with passion and love were those whom I appreciated and respected most. I see you are a question asker too:) One of my former pastors said once that Jesus asked a lot of questions too and that he was run out of Temples on more than one occassion... so was John the Baptist. The Bible says a lot about God and Country and at times I find it to be conflicting. How do we learn if we do not ask questions. Thanks for asking a lot of questions, MP. You and a few others have a knack for asking those questions before I get to them and I appreciate your open mind:) God bless you:)

14. Magnetic Poles

Thank you, TH.

I am always inquisitive. I also would like to say, I appreciate your kind and loving spirit. I see in many of your posts a compassion for humanity. We are all passengers on this planet, and need to learn to get along with each other. I feel very strongly as I see you do, that God gave us free will. It is not up to us to enforce our will on others. God will deal with each man and woman on his own terms. We are to show love and compassion for all. I see that in you, and believe you are a welcome addition to the board.

Sometimes questions get people to think about things from a different perspective they may not have considered. Your questions and comments have been excellent.

15. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

Thank you, MP. I am sitting here now with tears running down my face. You are so sweet and so good to see what I am all about. There are those here who want to ban me because I don't agree with them. Oh my word. I can barely see:)

I am a loving person. I even love those who are publically stoning and ridiculing right this moment. This is so sad. I have made so many friends here, even many who I don't agree with politically. We have expressed our feelings of respect and love and fellowship for one another.

I am so sad now. Please pray for me!

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That may be true, but we haven't seen any such love toward President George W. Bush or toward conservatives.

Look, I hated to come down hard on ya but you can't make outrageous claims on this board with no proof to provide and expect those of us you have attacked and put down to just let it slide.

I apologize for calling you out on your comments elsewhere in this forum, TH, but I hope that you now understand that we can't say just anything on this board(none of us), especially when it attacks the character of other people, without very solid proof that can be provided for all to read.

17. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

Here is my private mail to LadyEagle. I felt it should be msade public in light of the stoning i just received. Let those who are without sin cast the first stone! I can't beleive this is happening to me! ...

I am looking fore them now, LadyEagle... Although I am finding it hard with tears in my eyes and sorrow in my heart. No one should be treated this way, public humiliation is a very non-christian thing.

I may have to go lie down for a while, so you will excuse me if I don't get these links to you until tomorrow.

Please pray for me, I don't feel well at all. I am very, very hurt by all this. It seems that many here have said many things, horrible things against many other people, yet I am singled out and proof is demanded of me. Why is that? Because I ask questions? Like our Lord did when he visited the Temples? Is it a sin to be inquisitive and to love people and not want hatred in the world. i just dont' get it. It makes me absolutely ill to thing I would be treated this way by my brothers and sisters.

18. TisHerself

TisHerself Guest

That may be true, but we haven't seen any such love toward President George W. Bush or toward conservatives.

Look, I hated to come down hard on ya but you can't make outrageous claims on this board with no proof to provide and expect those of us you have attacked and put down to just let it slide.

I apologize for calling you out on your comments elsewhere in this forum, TH, but I hope that you now understand that we can't say just anything on this board(none of us), especially when it attacks the character of other people, without very solid proof that can be provided for all to read.
    </font>[/QUOTE]IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME, EVERY DAY!!! This time it was me, and all hell broke loose. I'm sorry, I've just lost a lot of respect for this board. I sincerely love all who have befriended me, and all those I refused to demand thing from when they said unbelievable things!

This is just so sickening... I hvae to go lay gown noiw... good night all.... pray for me

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look, TH, we all get called to account for things we say on this board. I have, we all have. Very little gets by on this board without someone having to provide a source for what he/she claims is a fact.

Believe me I know how it is. I think one of the first posts I ever made was against dispensationalism(LadyEagle probably remembers it. If I recall correctly she was SheEagle9/11 back then [​IMG] ) and I was immediately pounced on and was quite taken aback by it. But I toughened my resolve, got a good night's sleep, and then come back with better posts than before I was pounced on by my opponents.

I bet you can do the same. Just keep those links handy. [​IMG]

By the way, regardless of any argumentative posts toward you I may have made in this forum, I will refrain from being hard on you in debate in the future. I am sorry that our political differences have caused such an uproar between us.

20. OldRegular

I will repeat the OP for your edification. Will you please point out where I mentioned a theocratic republic?

Listening to David McCullough's description [Fox News] of the early days of the Revolution [published in his book 1776] leading to George Washington's victory at Trention, NJ on Christmas 1776 it is obvious to me that we owe our freedom to the providence of God.

Are we as a people in grave danger of squandering what God gave us through the rulings of a rogue Federal Court system and a society that seems more intent on glorifying the murder of the unborn, the perverted lifestyle of homosexuality, and a culture swamped in drugs and a hatred of Christianity, than in glorifying God who gave us all we have?