1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God and the Weather

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mat 5:45 . . . for He . . . sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Is God indifferent or inactive, as is the usual unspoken premise, or is He the active agent as suggested here by His Son?

In other words, if it rains, is it because God sent it with purpose and determination?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll let Spurgeon answer that question....

“As though he did not regard human character at all, God bids his sun shine on good and bad. As though he did not know that any men were vile, he bids the shower descend on just and unjust. Yet he does know, for he is no blind deity. He does know; and he knows when his sun shines on yonder miser’s acres that it is bringing forth a harvest for a churl. He does it deliberately. When the rain is falling yonder upon the oppressor’s crops, he knows that the oppressor will be the richer for it, and means that he should be; he is doing nothing by mistake and nothing without a purpose.”

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Remember that rain was a sign of blessing in that time. We interpret the rain as bad and the no-rain as good but it is just the opposite.

And not one drop falls apart from God's command.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    AMOS 4:7.......Is clear

7 And I also have withholden the rain from you, when there were yet three months to the harvest;
    and I caused it to rain upon one city, and caused it not to rain upon another city:

one piece was rained upon, and the piece whereupon it rained not withered.

God is absolutely sovereign....even over His word, which He likens to the rain;
    32 Give ear, O ye heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.

2 My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:

#4 Iconoclast, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Again in Psalm 148;
    148 Praise ye the Lord. Praise ye the Lord from the heavens: praise him in the heights.

2 Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts.

3 Praise ye him, sun and moon: praise him, all ye stars of light.

4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens.

5 Let them praise the name of the Lord: for he commanded, and they were created.

6 He hath also stablished them for ever and ever: he hath made a decree which shall not pass.

7 Praise the Lord from the earth, ye dragons, and all deeps:

8 Fire, and hail; snow, and vapours; stormy wind fulfilling his word:

9 Mountains, and all hills; fruitful trees, and all cedars:

10 Beasts, and all cattle; creeping things, and flying fowl:

11 Kings of the earth, and all people; princes, and all judges of the earth:

12 Both young men, and maidens; old men, and children:

13 Let them praise the name of the Lord: for his name alone is excellent; his glory is above the earth and heaven.

14 He also exalteth the horn of his people, the praise of all his saints; even of the children of Israel, a people near unto him. Praise ye the Lord.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe weather patterns are random. Am I right to conclude that those who have responded also do not believe weather patterns are random? (No, I'm not trying to set anyone up for a "gotchya.")

Was God's activity and determination of the weather in the Beginning, as if the weather were set up like a spectacular domino event, and He set it in motion in one act eons ago by simply toppling the first domino, or do you believe His acts in the weather are present tense and continuoud, and that He is the active agent in the fall of each successive domino?