1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God changes his mind often?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by tinytim, Oct 31, 2007.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Then why isn't everyone saved? If their eyes have been opened to the truth...... the life....... then why isn't everyone saved? What was it about you that made you choose to believe, where someone else didn't? I suspect some patting on the back soon!

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...why would God create some for the sole purpose of damning them?

3. reformedbeliever

Is this your answer to my question? Its a non answer.

I'll answer yours. If God does create someone with the sole purpose of damning them... which by the way is also a problem with your theology also... then I suppose as the Creator, He has that right.

Your free will theology also believes in God's omniscience. Why would God create or allow one to come into existence, knowing that they would never receive Jesus as Savior? This is not a problem for only Calvinism web.

Now, I have given my answer.... now give yours. What was it about you that was different? Why did you believe when others wouldn't?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:laugh: That was my point. The answer to both has to be "I don't know".

5. reformedbeliever

Now, since I know web can not answer my question without destroying his theology, I'll take this to its end.

Calvinist believe that God positively changes a person's heart to believe. Once a new creation, they will believe. It is all the work of God. All for His glory. If a person does not believe, it is still for God's glory.

Free will theology believes that an exercise of the will is why one is a new Creation.... that God can not change a person's heart against their will. They have to believe first in order to be regenerated.

Free will theology still has the problem of God knowing who will not believe, but still allowing them to come into existence.

The difference is that Calvinism gives God all the glory. Free will is synergistic... man working together with God for salvation.

Which gives God more glory?

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

My theology? "My" theology is God is God...we aren't. Nice try on fitting Him into your little box, though :rolleyes:

I know you like to wield your psychic powers, and tell us exactly what goes through the minds of the reprobate, but leave that to Oprah's guests :D

If you believe non calvinism (what you refer to free will theology) is synergistic, you really have no idea what you are talking about. Calvinism doesn't hold the patent on monergism.

7. reformedbeliever

I do know........... God changed my heart for His glory.

That he didn't change someone's heart is also for His glory.

So now, freewill theology does not know..... or does not have an answer.

Calvinism has an answer........ for God's glory.

Thank you webdog.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

<Twilight Zone theme playing>

"Let us travel into the minds of the reprobate for a minute..."

9. reformedbeliever

Do you believe one has to exercise their will (believe) before one is regenerated? That is synergism web.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No. I believe man has to accept the gift God has given them. Receiving a gift is not synergism. When you mail your Christmas present to me (hint, hint :D), my acceptance of it will not mean I played a role in your giving it to me.

11. reformedbeliever

What gift did God give them? We are not talking about a car or anything material web. If you are saying that the new nature is the gift I agree. He gives us the nature to respond to His saving grace. I don't think that is what you are saying however web....... is it? No, you are saying that God goes half way, and then man goes the other half. Synergism.

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Having to do something - receive - is not doing anything at all. It's like how you can sovereignly give up your sovereignty and still be sovereign. It's one of those profound logical contradictions you have to accept in order to believe in free-willism.

13. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

What is so hard to understand about this? God could change our minds against our will but He doesn't want to! What kind of love would that show? Here...I'm going to create you with an illusion of a choice, but you'll never really have the choice... Yeah right! God wants us to come to Him freely, of our own will, not because He forced us to. He wants all to know Him and none to perish.

I've pointed this out before, but I guess I'll have to point it out again...you "elect" people must be really full of yourselves, since you think you are specially chosen by God to receive salvation. :BangHead:

God is sovereign and omniscient...He knew the day and the hour when I would make the decision to turn my life over to Him, but He didn't force me to do it. :thumbs:

14. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What in the world is wrong with synergism?

15. reformedbeliever

The main thing wrong with it is that God does not need our help to save us. He is sovereign!

The other thing wrong with it is that you would say...... unless you are semi-pelagian, God gives everyone enough grace to choose either to receive Christ or reject him. What is wrong with that is the fact that God does not reveal the Gospel to everyone... unless you think he does. If you think he does we need to call our missionaries home.
    Another thing wrong with it is the fact that there are none who seek God. How can they "help" God with their salvation when there are none who seek God?
    I'm sure others will add to what i've already presented for you.

16. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

God didn't "sovereignly give up His sovereignty and still be sovereign." He gave man a free gift of grace. Calvinists believe it was given to a small number. Those who believe free will believe He offered it to all. We're talking about the same act by God, just to a different group of people. Certainly, man had free will from the beginning or did God introduce sin and evil into the world?

17. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I don't know is the correct answer to all this argument about Calvinism versus Arminianism. The Bible supports both perspectives. But of course, Calvinists are treading on thin ice when they put their faith in doing nothing with regard to accepting Christ as their Savior.

18. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Which Calvinists do that? All the calvinists I know (including myself :) ) fully agree with the necessity of believing on the Lord Jesus Christ, and the need for repentance. Cewrtainly they believe that the bible teaches that we do not have the ability in and of ourselves to do those things - we are spiritual dead intrespasses and sins, but Calvinists do not preach a "sit back and do nothing" gospel.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you don't know the gift, the issues run deeper than theology :laugh:

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

How exactly does one engage in a meaningful debate with someone who deliberately misrepresents Calvinism this way?