1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God Gave Wine: What the Bible Says About Alcohol

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sad....

Based on the replies I am seeing in this thread and including that of WinMan, it is unfortunate to say that people do not seem to have a good argument for their position. Perhaps they believe as they do, because thats how they were raised, but cannot formulate arguments on their own. I am real surprised as usually WinMan has good arguments, but it appears in this subject he may not. Well I look forward to getting the book for it will "bring scripture" and good arguments in defense of the Biblical view on alcohol. I am also interested in hearing with Gentry has to say to those that say that the wine in Bible times was not really wine, but just grape juice that could not get anyone drunk. I have heard that argument a hundred times and it does not measure up!

2. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should post a link to the book (like amazon) as well as author details. That would be better than only a link to a review about the book. Just a thought.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Bible alcohol'[?] would be nonpasteurized stuff made in wineskins or clay pots. Not that fruity pink concoction you're always gushing about.

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

Or any other mass produced domestic beer, for my thinking.

Do a web search for "KC Pils."

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

You're obviously claiming the wine of the Bible, the wine Jesus made at Cana, was non-alcoholic.

Explain then the use of the word methuo in John 2:10, and the fact that oinos is used to describe both the poorer wine and the better.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, it doesn't sound like he is. Non pasteurized would mean that it would become alcohol (the pasteurization process kills off the yeast). :)

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

True, but I was referring to this:

That was confusing, given his use of the word "non-pasteurized."

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, yes. Another "christian trying to justify drinking" thread. Why am I not surprised? :smilewinkgrin:

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whats wrong with it man? God gave it to you to enjoy so do it, and stop criticizing others because of their liberty.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am not going to disagree with your conclusion. I do not drink because of my witness to a lost world and the weaker Christian brother. Another reason I do not drink is that when I drank in the service, it was so extreme there were times I could not remember how I got back to base or the ship. Of course, the number one reason is it makes my wife uncomfortable to be around it. It really does not matter why, as a husband, I respect her wishes, especially in her home. Besides that, to me it is a waste of money. Having said that, you are hard pressed to make a case for abstinence from Scripture. The thing is, that reasoning rings a Pharisee lead life, not a Christ lead life.

I have given you my reasoning for not drinking. The reading of Scripture does not give me the right to condemn one who does drink in moderation.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if you have a beverage when away from your wife and everyone? What is wrong with having a beverage while watching TV or eating dinner when its you and yourself only? Thats the PROBLEM I am having with some people is that they condemn others whom chose to drink away from everyone, or choose to drink with family and friends whom also find no harm in having a drink. Its that kind of CONTROL that is unbiblical and unchrist like.

I have not been drunk in many many many many years and have had a beverage on occasion for years. Sure if I drank in front of my wife, or weaker brethren I would be in sin. However for them to try and CONTROL MY PRIVATE LIFE is completely uncalled for!!!!!

#32 evangelist6589, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013
  13. Winman

Winman Active Member

Good for you John! Lay down the law, tell your wife who is the boss!

[​IMG]

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry to tell you dear - you have no private life apart from your wife. If you do, you have a bigger problem than a Mike's Hard.

15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Best post.

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

I can see it now...

[​IMG]

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The problem with all these threads is the condemning other part. It is not just limited to the subject of alcohol. Many on this board "think" that because they interpret a Scripture one way or that the Holy Spirit lead them to a certain conclusion for their life, that it applies to everyone else also. Most cannot discern the difference between Biblical principles and opinion. I think the Lord puts it quite well with the speck in the eye and log comparison.

It is like the local gossip at church that runs to tell others what another member was seen doing Saturday night.

18. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Oh boy... :BangHead:

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

No, it's just that John (Evangelist) has a real talent for saying funny things. When you tell everyone you felt "ozzy", that is funny. Sure, it's a typo, but it is an hilarious typo.

Then if you say your wife should not interfere in your personal life, that is funny. Well, maybe not to her, but to everyone else... :laugh:

He has just started another thread recommending books on marriage to all of us. He has been married what? Two months?

Now that is funny. This guy missed his calling, he should be writing comedy. The problem is, he doesn't realize he is saying funny things.

I am not making fun of John, I sincerely enjoy his posts. Not for the reason he intended, but I truly enjoy them.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You know I get allot of kicks from the Three Stooges. I own every episode and every movie. The ones with Curly and Shemp are the best of course. You need to watch them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.