1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God is a what?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, Feb 20, 2008.

1. dan e.

dan e. New Member

crabtownboy, mrtumnus, meet SFIC.

:rolleyes:

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh: So check any other version and still you will find in these same verses that a female side of God is shown.

For instance in Gen. it does say that God created them in his image, male and female.

Well are you saying that the female is not created in God's image? I think not.:tonofbricks:

3. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

I guess the question SFIC is -- do you believe that women are created in the image of God? Or only men?

But wait -- you've still not answered any of my other questions.:confused:

4. dan e.

dan e. New Member

This translation may help:

O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

- Matthew 23:37 (KJV)

As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; and ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem.

- Isaiah 66:13 (KJV)

5. gekko

gekko New Member

this verse. and many like it...

are using comparisons. it is a similie.

it is not saying that God has feminine traits.

use common sense.

6. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Wow...first of all, calm down.

Second, I was in no way saying that God is female. My understanding of the direction of this thread is that some are saying God is COMPARED to both male and female traits...not that He is either gender.

SFIC didn't like the version used, so I copied a couple of the same verses using the KJV.

Whew...take a breather.

7. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

The Philadelphia Confession of Faith

The Philadelphia Confession is identical to the Second London Confession of Faith (1689), except that chapters 23 and 31 have been added (with other chapters appropriately renumbered). This confession was first issued by the Philadelphia Association in 1742.

Chapter 2

Of God and of the Holy Trinity

1. The Lord our God is but one only living and true God; whose subsistence is in and of himself, infinite in being and perfection; whose essence cannot be comprehended by any but himself; a most pure spirit, invisible, without body, parts, or passions, who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; who is immutable, immense, eternal, incomprehensible, almighty, every way infinite, most holy, most wise, most free, most absolute; working all things according to the counsel of his own immutable and most righteous will for his own glory; most loving, gracious, merciful, long-suffering, abundant in goodness and truth, forgiving iniquity, transgression, and sin; the rewarder of them that diligently seek him, and withal most just and terrible in his judgments, hating all sin, and who will by no means clear the guilty.

(1 Cor. 8:4, 6; Deut. 6:4; Jer. 10:10; Isa. 48:12; Exod. 3:14; John 4:24; 1 Tim. 1:17; Deut. 4:15, 16; Mal. 3:6; 1 Kings 8:27; Jer. 23:23; Ps. 90:2; Gen. 17:1; Isa. 6:3; Ps. 115:3; Isa. 46:10; Prov. 16:4; Rom. 11:36; Exod.34:6, 7; Heb. 11:6; Neh. 9:32, 33; Ps. 5:5, 6; Exod. 34:7; Nahum 1:2, 3)

2. God, having all life, glory, goodness, blessedness, in and of himself, is alone in and unto himself all-sufficient, not standing in need of any creature which he hath made, nor deriving any glory from them, but only manifesting his own glory in, by, unto, and upon them; he is the alone fountain of all being, of whom, through whom, and to whom are all things, and he hath most sovereign dominion over all creatures, to do by them, for them, or upon them, whatsoever himself pleaseth; in his sight all things are open and manifest, his knowledge is infinite, infallible, and independent upon the creature, so as nothing is to him contingent or uncertain; he is most holy in all his counsels, in all his works, and in all his commands; to him is due from angels and men, whatsoever worship, service, or obedience, as creatures they owe unto the Creator, and whatever he is further pleased to require of them.

(John 5:26; Ps. 148:13; Ps. 119:68; Job 22:2, 3; Rom. 11:34-36; Dan. 4:25, 34, 35; Heb. 4:13; Ezek. 11:5; Acts 15:18; Ps. 145:17; Rev. 5:12-14
    )

3. In this divine and infinite Being there are three subsistences, the Father, the Word or Son, and Holy Spirit, of one substance, power, and eternity, each having the whole divine essence, yet the essence undivided: the Father is of none, neither begotten nor proceeding; the Son is eternally begotten of the Father; the Holy Spirit proceeding from the Father and the Son; all infinite, without beginning, therefore but one God, who is not to be divided in nature and being, but distinguished by several peculiar relative properties and personal relations; which doctrine of the Trinity is the foundation of all our communion with God, and comfortable dependence on him.

(1 John 5:7; Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14; Exod. 3:14; John 14:11; I Cor. 8:6; John 1:14,18; John 15:26; Gal. 4:6)

Of God and of the Holy Trinity

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

#27 Linda64, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2008
  8. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

Does God have masculine traits?

9. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus - incarnate -- "the SON of DAVID" in scripture.

And also "the SON of Man".

but if you are asking about "God ontologically" and wondering if God is male or female --- there is no "Mrs God" (the RCC not withstanding). God is not a being that has "another God with opposite gender". God "CREATES" He does not "PROCREATE".

in Christ,

Bob

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Not allowed on the Baptist Board! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I can be nurturing. I can be as gentle as a mother hen to my son. As a man I can have attributes that are generally referred to as feminine. But, I assure you, that I am a man. And if you call me a woman I'll bust you in the chops. Just because a man displays what some would commonly call feminine attributes in no way diminishes his man hood or maleness. It does not make him a woman. My wife is pretty tough on the softball field, she can fix things around the house, and she gets pretty dirty cutting the grass in the summer. Those are generally considered to be masculine attributes. And, if you call her a man I'll bust you in the chops for that too.
    When God says I'll be on you like a female bear protecting his cubs He's not saying he's female. He's saying I'll be on you like white is on rice. When He says something came forth from His womb He's not saying He has a womb. Rather He's saying I created that something. Personally, I'd be careful calling God a girl because you may find Him busting you in the chops too. Actually, I don't think He will hit you. But, to feminize God is to mis-characterize Him. He refers to Himself in the masculine and we would do well to do the same.

#31 sag38, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2008
  12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

As far as I can tell, nobody is questioning how God refers to Himself. Despite referring to Himself as male (I'm talking about God the Father), it doesn't mean He is male, just as He isn't female.

13. AAA

AAA New Member

I tried to look this up at bible gateway and could not find it, how ever I seem to remember that the bible calls GOD (not JESUS) "many breasted one".

This would seem to indicate that GOD has attributes of male and female...

14. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

So is God a man? This is the question nobody seems to want to answer.

Is God a male?

Are women made in God's image?

15. standingfirminChrist

not sure what version you got that 'many breasted one' from, but I have 62 versions and it is not found in any of them.

16. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Numbers 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?
    Numbers 23:20 Behold, I have received commandment to bless: and he hath blessed; and I cannot reverse it.
    John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
    The image of God is NOT a physical image...rather it is a spiritual image. God does not have a physical image...Jesus Christ was the "express image"of Almighty God. (Hebrews 1:3); He (Jesus Christ) is the "image of the invisible God" (Colossians 1:15). Since God is invisible (a Spirit), He cannot be physical or have physical attributes.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
    Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Genesis 5:1
    This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
    Genesis 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

The image of God is NOT a physical image!

17. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

One of the translations of el shaddai...

God of breasts
    God with breasts
    the breasted one

18. standingfirminChrist

Do some research. You will find that Abraham held Lazarus in his bosom... bosom is another word for breast.

Both men and women have breasts. Saying God had a breast does not mean He has feminine attributes.

and 'breast' is not the same as 'many breasted'.

19. standingfirminChrist

KJV John 21:20 Then Peter, turning about, seeth the disciple whom Jesus loved following; which also leaned on his breast at supper, and said, Lord, which is he that betrayeth thee?

Surely you are not telling us Jesus was female?

20. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

ALMIGHTY GOD (El Shaddai) Genesis 17:1-8; 28:2-3). The all-sufficient God. "God (El) signifies the `Strong One' (Genesis 1:1). The qualifying word Shaddai is formed from the Hebrew word `shad,' the breast, invariably used in Scripture for a woman's breast (Genesis 49:25; Job 3:12; Psalm 22:9; Song 1:13). God is `Shaddai,' because He is the Nourisher, the Strength-giver, and so, in a secondary sense, the Satisfier, who pours Himself into our lives. As a fretful, unsatisfied babe is not only strengthened and nourished from the mother's breast, but also is quieted, rested, satisfied, so El Shaddai is that name of God which sets Him forth as the Strength-giver and Satisfier of His people" (Scofield). We must note that this terminology does not justify the radical feminist's application by which God is called "she" and "a woman." The Bible NEVER describes God as a female. He is always revealed in a masculine sense, and in the N.T. He has come to us as a MAN! He was born a man, lived as a man, died as a man, and was resurrected as a man. As the ascended Mediator, He is still called "the MAN Christ Jesus" (1 Timothy 2:5).

Way of Life: David Cloud