1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God is a what?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, Feb 20, 2008.

1. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

I have not agreed or disagreed with anyone in this thread and just gave translations for el shaddai. Looks like Cloud would be fine with those translations.

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is Spirit

God is spirit and spirit is genderless.

1Does God show attributes that most cultures call female attributes? Yes.
    Does God show attributes that most cultures call male attributes? Yes

God shows the best of both of what we call male and female attributes, but that has nothing to do with gender. Y'all are arguing over gender and that is a meaningless discussing when we talk about God.

But is God physically male or female, no for, as I said, God is spirit.

:tonofbricks:

3. trustitl

trustitl New Member

There is an agenda behind these kind of statements. Anybody that tries to defend God being feminine is blind to this fact and is party to this. Just because the Bible uses literary feminine terms to describe God does not make him feminine any more that using physical terms makes him physical.

The NRSV is being used by those with an agenda to blur the lines between God's created order and roles of men and women. Here are a few examples from I Timothy:

The saying is sure: whoever aspires to the office of bishop desires a noble task.

*Women likewise must be serious, not slanderers, but temperate, faithful in all things. 12 Let deacons be married only once

These examples are why the following is needed for men to be leaders:

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant...

4. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

Makes perfect sense to me. I just can't figure out why some want to deny Scripture speaks of God using feminine language on occasion.

5. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

How many men do you know who have wombs?

6. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

As does using masculine terms not make him masculine either.

Regarding people supporting some kind of agenda to make God a woman, I am aware there are those and I'm not blindly a party to it. But denying those scriptures which describe God using decidely feminine language are there is denying the truth and not being true to the nature of God, which is indeed Spirit, neither male nor female.

And there is great damage done by those who insist that God is 'male' and seek to discredit any scriptures that speak of Him in feminine terms. Ever wonder why so many young girls who get interested in Wicca, and a 'goddess'? When their perception of God as worshipped by Christians is one that is 'male' instead of one that in truth is "Spirit" whose nature encompasses the best of their feminine nature as well as masculine, we create for them an image of God that is not true, and leaves them vulnerable to what they perceive to be a more enticing representation.

7. standingfirminChrist

There is not one single verse in the Word of God that says God has a womb.

Quit trying to change God to your desires.

8. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Sounds like you are into "goddess" worship. The "god" you are trying to describe is NOT the God of the Bible. God has NO physical parts...His image is SPIRITUAL.

9. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

I am by no means into "goddess" worship. I agree with those who have said that God is Spirit -- neither male nor female. You will find none of my posts that have said anything different, and I find the attempts to imply otherwise as being a distortion of what I've said. What I have consistently said is there is also feminine language used in the Bible to describe God as well as masculine. When God asks Job "From whose womb comes the ice" -- this is using language that contains a "feminine" image (because only females have 'wombs'), not that God has a physical womb. Do you disagree with that?

#49 mrtumnus, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2008
  10. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

dan e

Take a good look in a mirror:rolleyes:

11. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

I've never said that God has a womb. I've said that men don't have wombs. A 'womb' is a distinctively, female-only trait. Scripture does ask "From whose womb comes the ice", and the answer to this question is God, is it not? Therefore, a distinctively, female-only trait has been used in language that is describing God.

Why is that acknowledgement so threatening? Or do you really believe that God is indeed male, as opposed to Spirit?

12. dan e.

dan e. New Member

ummm....okay?:confused:

13. standingfirminChrist

There you go again... making God female. You say you are not, but you indeed are.

You are indeed trying to say God is female.

Yet, the Word of God always refers to Him as "He," "His," "Him," and "Father."

Never is He referred to as mother or she or her.

God is a Spirit, and from the language His Son used (and He Himself should know as He was with Him from the beginning), it is a male Spirit.

14. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

Well, at least you've finally admitted that you believe God is indeed male. However, please stop accusing me of making God a female. I've said repeatedly that I believe that God is spirit, and neither male nor female. This seems to be a problem for you because you believe God is indeed male.

You are the one who has assigned a human gender to God, not I.

15. trustitl

trustitl New Member

I think it is a stretch to insist that girls get into Wicca because God chose to use masculine traits to describe himself a vast majority of the time. I would prefer to say the cause of that is the hardness of their own heart, not hearing the truth, and the lack of proper proper male roles in their lives. I don't think focusing on the few feminine references used in scripture to help us understand God will make rebellious girls repent. That sounds a little to psycho-babblish to me.

Why are you so caught up on this issue?

16. mrtumnus

mrtumnus New Member

Evidently you've never had your daughter bring home friends who have been caught up in Wicca. I have. I've listened to them talk, and their incorrect perspective of God as believed by Christians as being void of all but masculine traits does indeed factor into their being attracted to that religion. They have had anything but 'hard hearts' and have had some outstanding fathers. Trying to lay their confusion on rebellion and bad fatherhood sounds a little psycho-babblish to me, but to each their own I suppose. I would say their confusion is in never being taught the true nature of God -- Spirit, who is indeed also seen in Scripture as a 'mother who comforts their child'.

17. dan e.

dan e. New Member

What??!!! SFIC, you are totally putting words into his mouth. Nobody has ever stated that God is a female. We are talking about the various descriptions of God's nature. Some places is male (most of them), but there are also places where He is compared to feminine traits.

What has been said is that God is NEITHER male nor female. Except by you. You clearly think God is a boy. :eek:

18. trustitl

trustitl New Member

"I would say their confusion is in never being taught the true nature of God"

Which is what I said when I said one of the reason would be "not hearing the truth".

If telling them God is like a mother hen helps them, go for it.

What if I said I know a lot of Wiccans. Would that make me an expert?

I happen to have 6 daughters, by the way. I don't feel they need God described in feminine ways to help them relate to "Him".

Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

19. trustitl

trustitl New Member

SFIC:

I think you went a little to far with the "male spirit" thing. :(

20. standingfirminChrist

The fact that Jesus refers to God as "He," "Him," and "His"; and that He calls Him "Father" shows He is male.