1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God is not looking for brilliant men

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "God is not looking for brilliant men, is not depending upon eloquent men, is
    not shut up to the use of talented men in sending His Gospel out in the world.
    God is looking for broken men, for men who have judged themselves in the
    light of the Cross of Christ. When He wants anything done, He takes up men
    who have come to an end of themselves, and whose trust and confidence is
    not in themselves but in God." ~H.A. Ironside

2. Servent

Servent Member

I can testify to that, at one time I was a stumbling bumbling drunkard. Now I'm just a stumble bumble who loves to witness for the Lord.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God uses all sorts, old geezers, young ladies, out of the mouths of babes. I think Paul was brilliant before He was inspired. But the point that we should not claim we are not good enough to serve God must be recognized as rationalization. God used fishermen as fishers of men.

4. Livingnow

Livingnow New Member

If you feel that you're not broken, it's a clear indication of your unwillingness to acknowledge your sinful condition in eyes of God. Nobody can share a message based on brokenness, humility, and submission due to unworthiness and sinfulness to God while being unable to even realize his/her own sinful condition.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of my SIL's comment for NOT supporting her husband in his leadership family roll, "I know I will have to stand before Jesus but.....":tonofbricks:

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Luke 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

18:10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

18:12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted... This is the kind of man God is looking for!... Brother Glen