1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God Knows!

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Wes Outwest, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

No, I am not touting Billy Graham's writings as great while others are not so great.

I am saying that the Scriptures are not the only writings inspired by God!

I believe that any writings that influence one to have faith In God, or to keep one from losing faith or to give one reasons to keep on keeping on in the Name of God, are just as inspired by God as the Holy Scriptures.

2. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

Wes, you made the following statement:

I’m not trying to twist what you say. I’m trying to make sure I understand what you are saying. My impression from your statement that I just quoted is that you believe that other writings can be just as authoritative as Scripture and also that those writings can be inspired in the same sense as Scripture (inspired in the archaic sense of the English word, i.e., God-breathed). My impression is also that you view those other writings as the word of God in the same sense as you view Scripture as the word of God. Is this assessment of your position correct, or am I misunderstanding you?

3. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Koreahog2005,
    If, by reading an article in the local newspaper, you become inspired to seek God, that newspaper article is inspired by God, because it brought you to seek Him. And in your life history that newspaper article can be just as authoritative as the book of John of the Bible.

The towtruck that brings me safely home is just as authoritative as my automobile because I am where I am supposed to be!

However, in a church sense of the discussion, THE CHURCH has established ONLY those writings contained in the Bible that we have, to be the sole authority by which the church operates! God is not bound by the bible! He can and does use whatever means and writings HE CHOOSES, to accomplish His will that None should perish.

4. koreahog2005

koreahog2005 New Member

Wes, again, I hope I am not misunderstanding you. Your last post seems to be an affirmation of what I said in my last post. You seem to see the Bible only as an authoritative manual for church operation. In other areas of life, you see other writings as equal in authority to the Bible. I disagree. I believe that the Bible is higher in authority than all other writings in all areas of life. In discussing what God knows on this thread, I believe that Scripture is the ultimate written authority to which we can appeal. In other words, I believe that other writings are not equal in authority to the Bible. I also believe that every Scripture passage is God-breathed, including Psalm 139:16. Apparently you disagree with me on these important points. Until we can agree on an ultimate authority to which we can appeal when we disagree, I don’t think we can have a meaningful discussion about what God knows. I could start another thread about whether Scripture is our ultimate authority, but I think the people who regularly post on this forum are in agreement with me on this point, so such a thread would be solely directed at you. It sounds like you have your mind made up on this issue, however, so I think such a thread would be a waste of my time and yours. Thanks for a stimulating discussion. Again, I apologize for misunderstanding you. It was not intentional.

5. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

No sir,
    The bible is the central source book of life. It is God's holy word.

It is not however the only medium that God uses to reach man, and in order to reach man, the medium must be inspired. God inspires man through a myriad of mediums, all of which are inspired sufficient to draw men to Him.

6. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

Ray and Wes, I would like to thank you for the clear and concise debating you two have done against calvinism here. It has helped me greatly in my studies of the followers of John Calvin. I like Steve Gregg and Norman Geilser. But you two are right there. There seems to be much dictating to God on how He is to be soveriegn in calvinistic teachings. Rather a prideful thing it seems. Thanks again.

(And not just here but also other topic on BB)

7. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Thank you for the kind words Timtoolman, I wish that I could claim the credit, but the credit, honor and Glory belongs to God the son, and God the father, and God the Holy Spirit. Praise Him alone!