1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God, mega-disasters, and you

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, May 13, 2008.

?
  1. God is the originator of any mega-disaster

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. God does not choose who gets killed in a mega-disaster; that is random chance

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. There will be mega-disasters—at least of the cataclysmic type—before this age ends

16 vote(s)
    84.2%
  4. The eruption of a supervolcano, like Yellowstone, may fulfill the darkened sun and sky prophecies

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  5. The explosion of a large meteor or comet may fulfill the darkened sun and sky prophecies

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  6. The explosions of large meteors or comets may fulfill the ‘stars fell to earth’ prophecy

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  7. Extreme germ or chemical warfare may fulfill the pestilences prophecy

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  8. Major lava flows may fulfill the “destroy the earth by fire” prophecy

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  9. World War III, fought over dwindling resources, may fulfill “nation against nation” prophecy

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  10. My odds of being killed in a disaster are feasible; of a [i]mega[/i]-disaster, they’re minuscale

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We hear quite a bit about “mega-disasters” and all the ways that there could be loss of millions of lives; especially watching the History and Discovery Channels. Cyclones and earthquakes have just recently killed thousands, it’s only 3 years since the Indian Ocean tidal wave killed many more; but the scale of mega-disasters intensifies considerably further. The Yellowstone supervolcano could dwarf Mt. St. Helens, with ashfall covering houses within 100 miles, and still inches deep reaching to the Gulf Coast. A major meteor impact would wipe out millions, and like the supervolcano, the ash-darkened atmosphere would cool the planet [the solution to ‘global warming’], plants would die and there would be food shortages. A comet impact in the ocean could cause a tidal wave of far greater disaster than in Indonesia, especially if it were to hit in the Pacific and flood the west coast megalopolis with 10-20 feet of water several miles inland. A new world war, fought over resources and/or a radical quest for singularity of philosophy could leave billions dead, and may be magnified by extreme germ or chemical warfare, in addition to nuclear weapons, which also would turn the atmosphere dark and cause famines and freezing.

But where is God in all this? And how—or to what extent—are any, some, or even all, of these things related to biblical prophecies? Consider, for instance, the “darkened sun” of Revelation, and how that may be fulfilled by a meteor impact or a supervaolcano blocking out the sun and sky; or a nuclear war having the same result. And do you think you will be involved in a mega-disaster, or at least some more common kind of disaster (earthquake, tornado, epidemic)?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't think any human death is random. God has a plan for each of us, we never know when His plan calls for our death. I do not doubt one bit that He is in complete control of when my death is to happen.

3. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

I get really sad when all these disasters actually happen--thinking about the pain and suffering, the loss of life (especially the unsaved), thinking about those left behind to pick up and rebuild. But I don't worry about something similar happening to me, and I definitely don't worry about any mega-disasters. In fact, I seldom watch those kinds of shows because they make me think more about the pain and suffering than I should--because I choose instead to dwell on the fact that God IS in control, and I don't have to worry about it. I cannot change whether or not I shall have to endure the trials of any kind of disaster--mega or "minor".....and, in many ways throughout my life, I have already endured many "minor disasters" anyway (including a couple of home fires). I can't/won't/don't sit around and think about what might come in the future--I'm trusting God to help me through it if one does occur. He'll either get me to safety if He wants me to continue to live in this body....or He'll take me on Home to a far more COMPLETE "safety".:godisgood:

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

He causes it to rain on the just and the unjust. How our heart is in relation to Him will determine how we will handle a disaster.

Which begs the question, If disaster is calamity, is aster order?:laugh:

All kidding aside, if calamity occurs it is preponderant upon the Christian to render service to the best of our abilities. I am very encouraged that our nation offers help even to our enemies in times of disaster.

5. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Agreed on the fact that USofA offers relief.

But, "is aster order"???????:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Does that mean we are in 'aster' now, since we do not have disaster? (I mean here, in this country, not recent world events)

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose it is. So disaster is dissing the order.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That seems to be saying that a murderer, or an accomplice to such, is completely helpless to refrain from the crime he is about to commit.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

The idea that God is not soverign is quite common.
    I do not beleive it though.

10. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

God is either sovereign or He isn't.

11. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

If God is not the originator of a disaster, as many seem to believe, who or what is?