1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God, relationships, and you

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, May 7, 2008.

?
  1. We should follow whatever the ‘rules’ are, within our culture, of proper behavior

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. To address a person in a way s/he does not want to be addressed is a sin by the GR

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. We may have non-C friends, but our [i]closest[/i] friends should be C’s

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. Our friends—the ones we ‘run’ with—must be C’s; non-C’s can be no more than acquaintances

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. It’s only among family members that we should remain ‘close’ to non-C’s

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. By the GR, we should never try to sell a house without telling all the problems thereof that we know

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  7. If we 'would have' a certain attractive person kiss us, then by GR we should go kiss that person

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. A C may have a date with a non-C, but a ‘dating relationship’ for a C should only be a C

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  9. It is ethical for a C to invite coworkers home for a party, but to exclude the non-C coworkers

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  10. I don’t agree with any of the above statements

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless we are self-sufficient hermits we do have active relationships with people. Scripture give us many guidelines, some possibly overlapping, as to how we are to relate to people. Yet many of our actions are simply learned behavior, which scripture says little about; and in fact the “Golden Rule”[do to other as you would have them do to you] may conflict at times with strong admonitions against hypocrisy.

Check all options you agree with. To keep the characters to a minimum, abbreviations will be used: C = Christian; GR = Golden Rule.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this subject just uninteresting, or is it disquieting to put it on the line? Or do we generally disregard "be not unequally yoked together with unbelievers," or apply it only to marraige?

3. Joe

Joe New Member

It's a GOOD poll, and it's interesting. I think your options need to be read slowely in order to understand the meaning.
    I can get lazy and pass by some polls if they aren't simple enough for my simple brain. That may be the reason there isn't much response.

A few choices I don't understand, and only two choices I agreed with.

What does it mean if an attractive person kisses you so then you are obligated to go kiss them back. or somthing like that.

And I didn't quite understand the question about should we obey societies rules for proper behavior or something of that nature. Seems like everyone acts different here, not sure we have any rules of this kind

Btw, if stuck, I would marry a non-christian because most Christians here aren't that desirable to me.

#3 Joe, May 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hardly even "something like that." That option, in the opinion of many I'm sure, takes the "golden rule" out of its scope, even though that is within its literal meaning. If I would have-- want, wish, desire-- for a beautiful woman, who I may not even know, to throw her arms around me and kiss me, then by the GR should I do that to her? The idea is: do we follow the GR literally and do this, or do we presume that must be out its context (even though Jesus didn't give any limitations on it)?

Sure, the rules are less standard any more than Emilia Post, or whatever her name was. But if you're invited to dinner at someone's home, you don't give out a big belch when you're finished, do you? In eastern cultures, that is considered the proper thing to do, signifying you have had enough to eat. And different societies have differing rules regarding dress, wearing shoes indoors, when you stand or sit, et al. Do we follow those rules of where we happen to be, or do we follow the rules we learned growing up, or do we take an in-your-face approach and do things our own way and not care?

5. Joe

Joe New Member

I understand now, thank you for the clarification.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

hmmmm. Hmmmm. Well. Hmmm.

7. Joe

Joe New Member

Be good Saggy :D Don't say it