1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God requires more than just going to church!!!

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dallasdid, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Dallasdid

Dallasdid New Member

I think a lot of older Christians have the idea that maybe they are too old to accomplish any thing for God. It seems a lot of them dont do much and think this way. I know a lot of you (not old people but just teens with wrinkles) could do so much for God. Lol was peaking at a church once and said " abraham was used of God to do great things around 100 to form his own nation now im not saying when God uses you it will be to form a nation lol i know some of you think 1 kid is enough" but i really think God is not a God of the youth are 30 and under. Infact it was people over 30 that inspired me so much youth pastor and 2 friends that were youth workers. Teens are watching you older christians im sure as you know. And we want to be able to come to you for advice so just keep up being an example and i thank God for the example many set. So keep it up lol this not meant negative but encouraging God bless

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Diane, I know you posted some time ago, but I just notice this post. I am wondering why this (I assume - faithful) couple recieved an absent card. Did they go on a secret mystery vacation? Or is the church so large that a card was just sent as a matter of policy? Somehow, I think the personal touch is missing here.

Five meetings in one week! makes me think of a poem:
    Mary had a little lamb
    it would have grown to be a sheep
    but it joined a Baptist Church
    and died of lack of sleep

3. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

That's a cute poem.

My Pastor is always saying "I would rather be tired and fed, than rested and hungry" Our music director said laughingly " I would like to be rested and fed. [​IMG]

Yep, especially when those special conferences come around. Add school and work...and it really takes a lot out of you physically. That's for sure. ;)

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

SaltCityBaptist asked:
    They didn't receive the card. They were on the list for a card, call or visit. It's all computer generated. Anyone who misses 2 Sunday's in a row is picked up by the computer and highlighted on the class role for S/S contacts. We meet every other Tuesday night and send cards, make calls and do home visits. The rest of the time, my committee does this. I just got a list today of every visitor from this past Sunday. They'll get cards and calls this week and a visit next Tuesday. I map out directions to the homes for our group since we're pretty rural.

We have 3 church secretary's and Alice is in charge of entering that info every Monday into the computer. She mails me the info the same day, unless I happen to drive by before the mail run.

We have 1011 members now and it's too easy to overlook an absence when we have 2 morning services and S\S classes even in the churches plantation home. :D

The plan is to overlook NO ONE. I knew where this family had been even if someone not their age didn't!

Diane

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The first church I pastored was programmed to death. The people were working soio hard to do everything and run the programs that they had no time to even get ot know their neighbors. When I came I shut down most of the programs and told the people I wanted them to take the time to get to know their neighbors. The grew when they began to be creative rather than work a bunch of programs. They began to spend time getting to know their neighbors and witness to them.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I want to stress that I don't have 5 meetings EVERY week! There's plenty to do but I pick and choose which are my calling. That week I mentioned included Sunday and Wednesday plus an all day AWANA training, a Sunday School teacher's meeting and Tuesday night visitation. Visitation is every other Tuesday.

This week, I'm doing nothing again until Sunday AT church even tho I do my calls, cards and visits on Saturday on my own.

Diane