1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God then family then church??

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Jul 28, 2001.

1. slingshot

slingshot New Member

Pastor Larry,

Praise God for your insight. This priority concept has disturbed me for many years. Its seems like a PC shiboleth and is so often used to "judge" people inappriately or to "justify" neglect.

The bottom line is that if you neglect your responsibilities, you are neglecting God.

I think we should make our families a priority because of our greater obligation to the cause of Christ (the church). We do this out of love for God.

BTW - equating "the church" with "the work" (as one did) is not really a fair equation. While this definition highlights their concern, I believe we should think in terms of our "calling" and our "cause" instead of viewing ministry as a side job. Ministry is a word that we use to describe how we serve God and men and it should not be separated from the God and family and then relegated to some "professional" or "extra-cirriular" status. If we are not ministering, we are in sin (as you stated well).

2. SPAM

SPAM New Member

Good, interesting question and insights.

One comment however, if God is truly first, He'll lead us in the prioritizing of our life.

I have seen neglected families within the church all my life, and generally it is due to one losing sight of what's truly important. When I stand in front of God one day, I want to hear weel done, thou good and faithful servant. If I neglect any, I don't feel I will.

3. myreflection26

myreflection26 New Member

I think we're still confusing God with church. Folks we can serve and love God without being obligated to enter into a church EVERY TIME the doors are open. God is not church and church is not God, church is the believers gathered together in worship to learn. God is who you serve every day of your life with your actions toward others and your heart of love. I don't think there even needs to be a question of putting God first in going to church because God is everywhere, you worship him in your heart. The fellowship is great but its not putting God first.

Sue

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this a fair summary of the thread thus far?

God #1, but don't confuse priority of God with the mundane (earthly) activities of the church

Wife #2

Kids #3

Work #4

Then "Rest of life".

And second aspect of summary: If #1 isn't right, neither will be #2-5

5. Joy

Joy New Member

That's right Brother Bob! [​IMG]

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Bob Griffin:
    Is this a fair summary of the thread thus far?

God #1, but don't confuse priority of God with the mundane (earthly) activities of the church

Wife #2

Kids #3

Work #4

Then "Rest of life".

And second aspect of summary: If #1 isn't right, neither will be #2-5
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What if you blow out of work everyday at 3:30 so you can watch your kid play soccer with the result that you lose your job? In that case, shouldn't work take priority??

What if you ignore your kids every night so you can take your wife out on a date??

What if you ignore time with your wife so you can spend it in solitude praying and reading your Bible?

What if you get a job working Sun-Thurs so you can have Friday and Saturday off for family time?

I think all of the above are wrong.

Obviously it is not quite as simple as it might appear. I still do not see any NT justification for the exaltation of anything over the NT church. Think of it this way: Which will last longer -- the family or the church? Obviously the church will. That is why I think the ideal for the family means being an active part of a good local church. It seems only in recent times that church has been relegated to the status it now holds -- something dispensable if something else comes up. I am still a big believer, from both experience and theology, that the best thing a father can do for his children is have them in church when the doors are open. If the activities in your church are earthly, perhaps you should try a new church.

True priorities do not conflict. With all due respect to Dr. Bob, I still think it is very simplistic to make priority lists such as these. While there is plenty of social justification for it, I simply see no NT justification for it. We must be careful to let God drive our priorities, not our social circle.

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: Pastor Larry ]

7. myreflection26

Larry,

Problem is its not God driving it. Once again, God is not church. No Church will not last over the family since families are what make up the church. Tell me if it is the best thing for the father to make his family be in church when doors are open then why do so many familes fall away from it once kids grow up? I was raised in that where I had to be there all the time and now I am so far from that concept. I really believe that a family with poor priorities will consistantly place church ahead of family and I've seen first hand where that very thing is a lousy testimony and is actually turning my husband's family away from God. They see my mother in law and her husband putting family way down the line and when so much as even a church picnic or eating get together they ignore family totally because in thier words "Church comes first", and the unsaved family has looked at that and said if they love church so much over us then why should we believe that they really do love and care about our souls?

I don't believe we should forget about church as we need the fellowship and teaching but I really don't believe its wrong to also go to Johnny's baseball game on a sunday or wednesday instead.

Sue

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    First obligation after relationship with God (NOT church) is wife. Then family, etc etc. It is simply a matter of priotizing, not conflict.

My job means missing some of my son's football games. We talk about that, that my love for him (he is above job or football) is unchanging, and that we must have some give-and-take of Dad will lose his job. Kids catch on and know when you love them or when you're blowing smoke.

But your irrational equation of God and Church is genuinely bothersome to me, brother! I assume you are a landmark-type to put that much emphasis on a fallible group of humans v Almighty God. I appreciate your attempt to explain it, but guess we will have to simply disagree on that issue.

Heard that some threads never get settled and that folks just disagree. Or was it the other way around and NONE of them get settled and NOBODY agrees? :rolleyes:

9. myreflection26

Bob,

I couldn't agree with you more actually :eek: wow!!! hehe :D

Something else to consider is that a comparison of job to church is a bit different. God doesn't pay us to go to church but our jobs pay us to work and put food on the table.

Obviously God has much better benifits though ;)

Sue