1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God & Tony Dungy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bismarck, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

I recently discussed God & Abraham with a co-worker. The co-worker was an avowed atheist. I tried to convince him that an imminent God really has communicated with mankind through His chosen prophets (peace be upon them).

In summary format, it went like this:

1. He doubted that God has communicated to men through prophets (peace be upon them)
    2. I said, "well, judge a tree by its fruits (Matt 7:15-20); all these prophets (peace be upon them) did great things, they made the world a better place, and people bothered to record what they said, and these great men claimed & alleged that they weren't doing these wonderful things on their own, but that God existed and was guiding them. You have worthy and credible testimony to the existence of God."
    3. He said, "hah, Tony Dungy claimed God had given him victory in the Superbowl when his Colts beat the Bears. You think God cares about Superbowls??"
    4. I said, "well, is Tony Dungy a prophet? Has he predicted things and they come to pass? Do people bother to record what he says?"
    5. He said, "Tony Dungy predicted the Colts were going to win the Superbowl, and they did. And ESPN, sports-commentators, and Sports Illustrated and fans follow what he says!"

Now, truth be told, he was in a hurry to get home (it was after work), and amidst all the pressure I didn't think of this next part in time to catch him. But I thought about what he had said:

1. Tony Dungy is a social leader
    2. Tony Dungy made a prediction (that the Indianapolis Colts would win the Superbowl)
    3. Tony Dungy's prediction came to pass (Colts beat bears for title)
    4. Tony Dungy praised God and gave Him all the glory

I mulled it over, and near as I could reckon, that's just about the same types of proof you get from the Prophets (peace be upon them) themselves! Then I started to think about my co-worker's rather brazen dismissal of Tony Dungy's remark (and God!!)...

I this occurred to me:

• On the one hand, you have Tony Dungy, a widely known & respected social leader, who made a prediction, which came true, who says that God lives
    • On the other hand, you have my co-worker, who is not widely known, and who has never made a prediction that came true, who denies that God lives

Now, in all scholarly objectivity, who is the more credible witness? Come on! Who is the more credible witness?? With all due respect to all parties concerned, if push came to shove, who would make a better endorsement? Who would BurgerKing or Nike pay more to endorse their product??

Correct Answer: Tony Dungy

So, a credible witness, who says "Such & such will happen", and then you see such & such happen, says God lives... while someone else with far fewer credentials denies that God lives.

Whom do you believe??

And as for Almighty God caring about Superbowls...
    try this on for size...
    The Nielsen Media Research ratings say 93 million Americans watched the Superbowl, making it the third most-watched American telecast ever...
    So 93 million Americans heard Tony Dungy praise God for giving him victory.

So maybe Almighty God doesn't care so much about Superbowls, or maybe He does...
    but you sure can't complain about the PR / publicity!

:smilewinkgrin:

Seriously, and with all due respect, who are you to deny that Almighty God could do it, if He so chose?

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Really! Tony Dungy said God told him He was going to win that football Game? I very seriously doubt that. Just because Tony gives God the credit for victory does not mean that God had chosen sides in the game. That is as much rediculous as it is immature.

As all Christians should do Tony Gave God the credit not because Tony felt God had picked sides but because Tony gives God the glory in all things.

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I need some help. I can't find the quote where Tony Dungy gave thanks to God for the Super Bowl victory.

Will somebody also point me to the quote where Dungy said God told him the Colts would win? Predicting a victory and saying God promised one are two different things.

I'm not saying he didn't say those things, I'd just like to see the exact quotes in context.

I want to be sure we're commenting on something that actually happened.

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I don't know where to find the quote, but I heard him do it numerous times in post-game interviews.

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Here is the actual quote:

http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=175636

But of course there is nothing there that shows Tony Dungy said God wanted them to win.