1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God wants all men to be saved

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Wow!! I am impressed but not edified. I will stay with the King James and Strong's Concordance.

2. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nevertheless, the majority of the Greek texts have 'ἡμᾶς. The little Byz tells you that.
    However, it makes no difference to the meaning of the verse. Whether it's 'ἡμᾶς or ὑμᾶς, Peter is still addressing the same people-- 'Those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Saviour Jesus Christ' (2 Peter 1:1). That is to whom he is writing the letter. He is certainly not addressing the 'scoffers.' The difference is that if he wrote 'ἡμᾶς, he was associating himself with those people; if he didn't, he wasn't.

3. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think this is the natural reading of the text.
    "This cup is the new covenant in My blood which is shed for you. But behold, the hand of My betrayer with me on the table........' Our Lord speaks of Judas in the Third Person; therefore the 'you' is addressed to the other apostles. It rather seems from comparing the accounts in Matthew, Mark and especially John, that Judas left before the institution of the Supper.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm afraid it is your view that is forcing the text. We were chosen 'in Christ' before the foundation of the world to be holy and blameless. That is, we were predestined to be dressed in His perfect obedience and righteousness. If we could be holy and blameless by our own efforts, Christ died for nothing!

But also, verse 5 continues, 'having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will.' The 'us' refers specifically to Paul and the 'saints who are in Ephesus and faithful in Christ Jesus' (1:1) and by extension to all Christians. We have been predestined as sons. We can hardly be that unless we have been predestined for salvation..

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.