1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God wants Obama, as President

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Tim Jay, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Tim Jay

Tim Jay New Member

Whether you agree with God, or fighting against God.....as to Obama as being President, one thing is absolutely true.......

God, is Sovereign of the Universe...... Am I right, or wrong on that ?

God would reveal that He has power over the kingdoms of the world, power to enthrone and to dethrone kings.

These predictions of the Infinite One, recorded on the prophetic page and traced on the pages of history, were given to demonstrate that God is the ruling power in the affairs of this world.

He changes the times and the seasons, he removes kings and sets up kings, to fulfil his own purpose.

It is ALWAYS wise to remember.....

Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts [are] not your thoughts, neither [are] your ways my ways, saith the LORD.

55:9 For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

However...

This is the same God who, after listening to Israel beg for a King, finally relented.

Is God sovereign? Of course.

Does God allow consequences of poor choices to befall people and nations? Yup.

Your assessment is far to fatalistic and deterministic for my tastes...and I think scripture bears me out here.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Wasn't David to be a King all along? If not, Jesus would not have his Kingship from the bloodline of David. How are we so sure changing from judges to kings wasn't in God's master plan all along?

4. targus

targus New Member

Then by your reasoning God enthroned Hilter, Castro, Jim Jon-il, Stalin, Mao Tse-Tung, Lenin, Chiang Kai-shek, Saddam Hussein, Pol Pot, Benito Mussolini, Francisco Franco, Tito, Idi Amin...

Well, you get the idea.

And you leave little room for free will - something which God also gave us.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think the Lord used the fact that men wanted kings to bring about the reign of King David (as of course, God knew would happen) but it is clear that God was not happy with men wanting kings instead of The King.

1 Sam 8:4-9

4Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah;
    5and they said to him, "Behold, you have grown old, and your sons do not walk in your ways. Now appoint a king for us to judge us like all the nations."
    6But the thing was displeasing in the sight of Samuel when they said, "Give us a king to judge us " And Samuel prayed to the LORD.
    7The LORD said to Samuel, "Listen to the voice of the people in regard to all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me from being king over them.
    8"Like all the deeds which they have done since the day that I brought them up from Egypt even to this day--in that they have forsaken Me and served other gods--so they are doing to you also. 9"Now then, listen to their voice; however, you shall solemnly warn them and tell them of the procedure of the king who will reign over them."

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Yeah, God did enthrone them along with every other corrupt ruler and government in the history of man. Furthermore He has a purpose for them.

Daniel 4:17- ‘This decision is by the decree of the watchers,
    And the sentence by the word of the holy ones,
    In order ​r​that the living may know
    ​​That the Most High rules in the kingdom of men,
    ​​Gives it to whomever He will,
    And sets over it the ​​lowest of men
    .’

Daniel 4:25-26- They shall ​​drive you from men, your dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field, and they shall make you ​g​eat grass like oxen. They shall wet you with the dew of heaven, and seven ​​times shall pass over you, ​till you know that the Most High rules in the kingdom of men, and ​gives it to whomever He chooses.
    “And inasmuch as they gave the command to leave the stump and roots of the tree, your kingdom shall be assured to you, after you come to know that ​​Heaven ​rules.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I can see your view but I have a slightly different one, "and your sons do not walk in your ways. Now appoint a king for us to judge us like all the nations".

The rejection came from God's people not wanting Samuel's sons to be judges over them. By them saying, "your sons don't walk in your ways" means they were only seeing, fearing and responding to the earthly vessel occupying the judges seat and not the divine presence who was in control. God is pointing out they didn't reject Samuel's son the seat sitter, they rejected God of heaven, the Divine ruler.

This is kind of similar to how we reject Obama as if God is not on the throne. I think Roger made a good point in his thread.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Okay, I see what you're saying. But isn't it true that God allowing them to choose a king was a type of judgment? They turned from the way God wanted to rule them to another way. And Saul, the one they wanted, turned out to be a bad king who went against God.

9. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

God want's His people to serve Him regardless as to who is POTUS or who is King. If we fail to serve God then God will set up a judge (President or king) that will be the instrument of His chastening rod. Let's hope and pray that God hasn't set him up because God's people voted their lusts and disregarded the life of the unborn.

#9 Palatka51, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2008
  10. donnA

donnA Active Member

as we've seen in scripture God will use evil rulers as judgement/punishemnt on a nation. Or to accomplish His purposes, even using evil men.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yes, but I believe it's more the fact that they chose anyone to begin with. Until their selection, God gave them leaders. I guess God doesn't endorse the democratic process so he would belong to neither party... :thumbs:

Great post, I think I have my 8 AM message for tomorrow... :jesus:

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Can you expound this a little? Do you have examples other than Obama?

Here is my true question so there is no hidden agenda, does God continue to punish an entire nation (as in all his people like in the OT after Abram) or does judgment now fall on the individual (post Christ)?

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, Obama was put there by God, but I would not think to bless us, since He has already done that, and we rub sin in His nose, and are proud of it.

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

So America was not raised up to judge Nazi Germany or Feudal Japan? Yes whole nations are still judged. When that nation is completely sold out to sin. Nazi Germany was sold out to genocide and Japan to arrogance as they worship their Emperor as a god. America was judged for slavery and America will be judged for this sin of abortion.

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I hadn't thought that but I do see your point.

I personally didn't think Germany as a whole was guilty or bad but I do fault Hitler and his followers. We couldn't have won that war without the German underground and freedom fighters who helped our cause.Most of the citizens were just loyal to their leader which is what a good citizen does. I certainly don't think the whole nation believed in the holocaust.

I've never given thought to Japan but off hand I don't call their defeat God's judgment.