1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GODS 10 COMMANDMENTS

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Downsville, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Hi ME2
    you wrote
    Now this would state that the covenant has been established on the day of the death of the testator and the beginning of the distribution of the inheritance.yet this has not been expressed completely towards mankind in our linear timeline.

Im not quite sure i understand your linear timeline but i do understand the timeline set out in the scriptures

I WILL BE THEIR GOD AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE

JER.31
    [31] Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
    [32] Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land
    of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
    [33] But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

WHEN WILL THIS HAPPEN ME2? HE WILL BE THEIR GOD AND THEY SHALL BE HIS PEOPLE. Well ME2, the timeline is set in the scriptures

EZEK.37
    [9] Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live.
    [10] So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army.

The dead in Christ rise 1st

[21] And say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will take the children of Israel from among the heathen, whither they be gone, and will gather them on every side, and bring them into their own land:

Then we are gathered (caught up in the twinkling of an eye) and brought to the land promised

[22] And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all:

ONE NATION AND ONE KING, THE LORD JESUS CHRIST

[23] Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwellingplaces, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God.

Then they shall be my people and i shall be their GOD. THERES WHEN IT HAPPENS ME2

[24] And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them.

Of course they will do as commanded, Gods law will be written in our heart

[25] And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children's children for ever: and my servant David shall be their prince for ever.
    [26] Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them: and I will place them, and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore.
    [27] My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Thats when the covenant of Hebrews 8 will take affect. And yes there are some who will try to walk in the spirit as if the law was written in their hearts, but they wont do it perfectly.And these people will not be pick and choosers, they will be trying to keep ALL 10 commandments and walk in the testimony of Christ.

THE LAW AND THE TESTIMONY

2. Downsville

Downsville New Member

ISAIAH 8 [16] Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.[17] And I will wait upon the LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.[18] Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.[19] And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?[20] To the law and to the testimony:
    if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.[21] And they shall pass through it, hardly bestead and hungry: and it shall come to pass, that when they shall be hungry, they shall fret themselves, and curse their king and their God, and look upward.[22] And they shall look unto the earth; and behold trouble and darkness, dimness of anguish; and they shall be driven to darkness.

No light in those people who do not keep the law and have the testimony of Christ

Hey ME2. Verses 21&22 are speaking of THE DAY OF BATTLE. Could be right around the corner. Even now if you turn and obey..

3. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Good morning Yelsew
    you wrote
    Jesus is the Lamb of God, slain before creation! His purpose in being made manifest in the flesh is to seek and save that which was lost.

YUP

MATT.18 [11] For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost. [12] How think ye? if a man have an hundred sheep, and one of them be gone astray, doth he not leave the ninety and nine, and goeth into the mountains, and seeketh that which is gone astray?[13] And if so be that he find it, verily I say unto you, he rejoiceth more of that sheep, than of the ninety and nine which went not astray.

the Son of man is come to save that which was lost

MATT.15 [22] And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.[23] But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.[24] But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Jesus said “I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel”

JER.50 [4] In those days, and in that time, saith the LORD, the children of Israel shall come, they and the children of Judah together, going and weeping: they shall go, and seek the LORD their God.[5] They shall ask the way to Zion with their faces thitherward, saying, Come, and let us join ourselves to the LORD in a perpetual covenant that shall not be forgotten.[6] My people hath been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, they have forgotten their restingplace.

My people hath been lost sheep - their shepherds led them astray - they have forgotten their restingplace - let us join ourselves to the LORD in a perpetual covenant that shall not be forgotten.Well yelsew Jer.50 says it all.You do know what covenant has been forgotten dont you?

EXODUS 31 [16] Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

Hoot,there it is! If you have a KJV bible you will find the words “perpetual covenant” only in these 2 scriptures. Both scriptures are speaking of the sabbath. Jesus said that HE was Lord of the sabbath day. Who is lord over your day of rest?

4. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Oh yea
    I failed to mention above that the people of God will return and obey His voice in the last days.

JER.50 [4] In those days, and in that time, saith the LORD, the children of Israel shall come, they and the children of Judah together, going and weeping: they shall go, and seek the LORD their God.[5] They shall ask the way to Zion with their faces thitherward, saying, Come, and let us join ourselves to the LORD in a perpetual covenant that shall not be forgotten.[6]My people hath been lost sheep: their shepherds have caused them to go astray, they have turned them away on the mountains: they have gone from mountain to hill, they have forgotten their restingplace.

MICAH 4[1] But in the last days it shall come to pass, that the mountain of the house of the LORD shall be established in the top of the mountains, and it shall be exalted above the hills; and people shall flow unto it.[2] And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

As you read Jer.50 you can see that the “lost sheep” have forgotten their restingplace. The scripture says they have gone from mountain to hill. In Micah 4 you see the people of God returning to the mountain(the sabbath day) in the last days.

5. Frank

Frank New Member

Downsville:
    The Bible teaches that the the Old Testament was for jews, not gentiles( Deut. 5:1-3). Therefore, as a gentile and one under the law of Christ ( I Cor. 9:21), I am not subject to the auspices of Moses.
    Jesus said in Mat. 28:18-20, And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
    19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
    20  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
    The Old Law was a temporary covenant to bring men to Christ ( Gal. 3:24). When Christ died, he purchased the New Testament ( Hebrews 9:15-17). Therefore, since Jesus has ALL authority for command and practice, if one is to please him, he must submit to his will, not Moses ( John 1:14-17).
    Why would I want to keep a system that is inferior and abolished by Christ? Why would I want to keep a system that only brings back a rememberance of sin ? ( Hebrews 10:1-4).

As for your comment about a lawyer, one need not be one to understand the grammatical construct of the passage in Hebrews. Simply put, the old covenant had already been abolished at the writing of the letter to the Hebrews. Perfect tense requires previous completion. My Eighth grade students have an excellent grasp of this basic concept of grammar.

6. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

I do not disagree with this in principle. We do obey out of love, yet obey we must. You would say that one who does not obey the commandments was not saved in the first place. I would say that that is true because he does not have the grace of perseverence and so, was given over to his sin. The result is of course the same. Damnation for those who do not obey the commandments. I of course would not say to one who has not become a Christian "obey the commandments and you'll be fine". I do not think that you would say to one who "thinks" he is saved to ignore them. Yet this is the impression I get from Protestantism. Do you believe in the "call to holiness".

1 Peter 1:15
    but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior;

Does sin become too causual.

Are the following not true in the NT...

Proverbs 2:1
    My son, if you will receive my words
    And treasure my commandments within you,

Proverbs 3:1
    My son, do not forget my teaching,
    But let your heart keep my commandments;

Proverbs 4:4
    Then he taught me and said to me,
    "Let your heart hold fast my words;
    Keep my commandments and live;

Proverbs 7:1
    My son, keep my words
    And treasure my commandments within you.

Of which I can site many more? Are we no longer to meditate on his statutes. Is the beginning of wisdom, no longer fear of the Lord? I say not. I say the differenence in the New Covenant is that God leads us down the path of freedom from our sin, cleansing us of them as we repent from them unless we become willfully disobedient to them and to him. He doesn't just pile snow on dung but gives us the grace to overcome sin.

We are under grace and thus not under the law because grace removes the sin from our soul, not because the obedience to God is no longer required. It is God's love that allows this to happen in us. It is his grace that helps us move toward greater purity in our behavior. We cannot avoid sin on our own but we must strive for righteousness, by his grace. This is a truth that I find weakly portrayed in Protestantism.

Matthew 5:6
    "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

Blessings

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yelsew said
    Christians, Jews and Muslims all seem to "agree" on the days of the week. There are some good reasons why they all know which day is the first day and which is the 7th.

But lets take the Christian view.

God said in Exodus "Tomorrow is the Sabbath". And He continued to emphasize the very day via the falling of the manna.

He also told them "Remember the Sabbath day to keep IT holy - 6 days you shall labor .. but THE 7th day is the Sabbath.. for in Six days the Lord MADE... and Rested the 7th Day -- therefore the Lord BLESSED the 7th day and made it holy".

So this tells us two things --

#1. God did specify WHICH day was Sabbath.
    #2. God did say that the 7th day of Creation week was an actual day and in Gen 2:3 He "made IT holy".

So "assuming you agree that God did not make a mistake in Exodus" about the day in Gen 2:3 -- we move on.

In the Gospels - Christ also keeps Sabbath and says that He is Lord of the Sabbath and that the Sabbath was "made for mankind".

Again - if we can assume that Christ IS God and that He did not make a mistake as to His Own Holy day -- then we can know today that the 7th day of our week correlates to the same 7th day used 2000 years ago under the Roman calendar - by the Jews in Palestine.

And that is how we know that this really "IS" the 7th day - the SAME day as Gen 2:3. It all depends on "God knowing" and "God caring" about Christ the Creator's own 7th day memorial of Creation - made a Holy day for mankind in Gen 2:3.

In Christ,

Bob

8. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Hi Frank
    you wrote
    Downsville:
    The Bible teaches that the the Old Testament was for jews, not gentiles( Deut. 5:1-3). Therefore, as a gentile and one under the law of Christ ( I Cor. 9:21), I am not subject to the auspices of Moses.

Frank, just read Deut.5.Do you think that the children of Israel are all jews? Dont you know about the 10 scattered(lost)tribes of the children of Israel. The tribe of judah is the jews. The 10 scattered tribes, or the lost sheep of the house of Israel, are who Jesus said HE came for.

I am not subject to the auspices of Moses.

Moses had some spices from France?

9. Frank

Frank New Member

Downsville:
    Judah and Israel ceased to be a nation during their captivities to Assyria and Babylon. This took place as a result of their rebellion against God ( II Kings 17:1-23, Jeremiah 24:1;25:1-13;29;1,2).
    Your reference is not correct based on inspired biblical history.

10. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Frank
    Are you one of those guys who believe the 12 tribes of Israel spoken of in Revelations and the other places in the new testament are gentiles who mystically become now the children of Israel?If not who are they?

11. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Happy new year Ray Berrian
    you wrote
    The first of the Ten Commandments are directed to our relationship toward God: Exodus 20: Thou shalt have no other gods before Me; . . . make unto thee any graven images; . . . not take the name of the Lord in vain; and the sabbath. The last six deal with our relationship toward those around us. Honor father & mother; not kill, commit adultery; not steal; . . . not bear false witness; and Thou shalt not covet. This was the mandate of the Law.

We are governed by another law the law of love. Jesus said under this better covenant of grace that we ' . . . should love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.' [Matt. 22:37] This is the first and great commandment. This verse is the counterpart of Exodus 20:3-8, which deals with our relationship toward our Lord, or the first four of the Ten Commandments.

MATT.22 [35]Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,[36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.[38] This is the first and great commandment.[39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.[40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Those dagburn lawyers are still ruinin things! This passage in Matt.22 is the reason you say we need not keep the commandments? Well,Jesus was only quoting scripture from the old testament. As you can see in Deut.6
    (Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul)

DEUT.6 [5] And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.[6] And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:[7] And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

DEUT 6 [14] Ye shall not go after other gods, of the gods of the people which are round about you;[15] (For the LORD thy God is a jealous God among you) lest the anger of the LORD thy God be kindled against thee, and destroy thee from off the face of the earth.[16] Ye shall not tempt the LORD your God, as ye tempted him in Massah.[17] Ye shall diligently keep the commandments of the LORD your God, and his testimonies, and his statutes, which he hath commanded thee.

And as you can see Ray in the above scriptures from DEUT.6 goes on to say the way to love GOD is to keep the commandments(thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul)

1JOHN 5 [2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.[3] For this is the love of God,that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

In John you can also see how we are to show our love for GOD. I have heard many say we dont need to keep the commandments because they are to hard (grevious) to keep.

LEV.19 [17] Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.[18] Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD.

Again (thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself) Jesus is quoting scripture from the old testament. Do you agree that the people who lived in old testament times were under the 10 commandments. Of course they were Ray.So why when Jesus quotes old testament scripture do you think the 10 commandments are now done away with?

2JOHN1 [5] And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.[6] And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Again in John you can read how we are to love our neighbour.KEEP GODS 10 COMMANDMENTS. It very simple Ray if you do not add or diminish from the Word.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The bible teaches that the Old Testament scripture was the Text for NT saint AND was used by the NT saints to establish their doctrine (2Tim 3:16) and to test the words of the NT Apostles "sola scriptura" Acts 17:11.

The Bible says in the Gospel of John that Christ commanded His followers saying "If you Love Me Keep My commandments" John 14:15 - pre-cross - spoken to Jewish believers in Christ (Messiah).

The Bible takes quotes out of the OT 10 Commandments and says in James 2 "So live and act as those who are to be Judged by the Law of Liberty".

The Bible says that we do not "Nullify the LAW of God by our faith. God forbid! We Establish the Law of God" Rom 3:31.

The Bible says that the first commandment in the unit of 10 commandments with a promise - is the 5th commandment and that these are binding on NT faith and practice (Eph 6:1-4).

The Bible says that the saints "Love God and keep His commandments" Rev 12.

The Bible says that it is not the "Hearers of the Law that are JUST before God but the Doers of the Law WILL be justified" Rom 2:13.

The Bible says repeatedly - that the OT text - IS scripture for the NT saint.

In Christ,

Bob

13. Kamoroso

Kamoroso New Member

The following is a list of scriptures in the new testament concerning the law of God. The law of God was never meant as a means of righteousness, or salvation, but rather that it should point the sinner to both. The Lord Jesus Christ of course, being that which they point to for the salvation of the soul, and the fulfillment of righteousness within the believer. Christ did fulfill the law. Those therefore who believe in Him, and have accepted His presents in their hearts, through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, also have the law fulfilled within them. This is not a means of righteousness or salvation, but rather as a result of being in Christ Jesus, in whom all things are made complete.

Rom 2:13-15 13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
    14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
    15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

Rom 3:31 31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Rom 7:14 14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Rom 8:3-4 3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
    4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

The law is spiritual. Those who walk in the spirit, have the righteousness of the law fulfilled within them. This is not in order to be saved, but rather because they have already been saved by faith in Christ.

Rom 13:8 8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.

Love is the fulfillment of the law. You cannot fulfill a law that no longer exists.

Rom 13:10 10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Gal 5:14-18 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    15 But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
    16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
    17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
    18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Those who walk in the spirit, are not under the law. This is because, as has already been pointed out, the law is spiritual. Those who are walking in the spirit have the law fulfilled within them, instead of the works of the flesh, or carnal nature. If you are in Christ, by faith, then you have died with Him. If you have died with Him, then the penalty of the law is no longer over you, for the penalty is death, and you have already died in Christ. This having been accomplished by Christ's death on the cross, and your faith in that act, you now walk in newness of life. It is no longer you, but Christ that lives in you. This is the fulfillment of the law within the heart. Paul explains this very clearly in the next verses.

CHAPTER 6
    1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
    2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
    3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
    4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
    5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
    6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
    7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
    9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
    10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
    11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.

13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
    14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
    15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
    16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

PRAISE GOD! we have been freed from the penalty of sin, which is death, and given the power from God to live a life of righteousness, that is the righteousness of the Lord Jesus Christ.

James 1:25 25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Matt 5:17-19 17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
    18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
    19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matt 19:17 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Matt 22:37-40 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    38 This is the first and great commandment.
    39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

John 14:15 15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 14:21 21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John 15:10-11 10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
    11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

1 Cor 7:19 19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

I Jn 2:3-4 3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

I Jn 3:22-24 22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
    23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
    24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

I Jn 5:2-3 2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God,keep his commandments.
    3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

II Jn 1:5-6 5 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.
    6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

Rev 12:17 17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Rev 14:12 12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Rev 22:14 14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Bye for now. Y. b. in C. Keith

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Great list Kam -

You may want to consider adding the sample quotes of the Law - from the Gospels, Romans and James 2.

In Christ,

Bob

15. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Hi again Ray Berrian
    You wrote
    To be brought under the bondage of the Ten Commandments is a return to Galatianism

The book of Galatians is a book containing 6 short chapters. In these 6 chapters circumcision is mentioned 16 times Ray. The commandments are not mentioned at all. So how do you link up Galatians with the 10 commandments and not circumcism? Galatians is speaking of the law of Moses, of which circumcism was part of. Not the 10 commandments.Before you try and tell me that the ordinances and the ten commandments are simply parts of the whole law and are not separate from one another. Scripture below proves that this also is not so.

2 KINGS 17 [36] But the LORD, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt with great power and a stretched out arm, him shall ye fear, and him shall ye worship, and to him shall ye do sacrifice.[37] And the statutes, and the ordinances, and the law, and the commandment, which he wrote for you, ye shall observe to do for evermore; and ye shall not fear other gods.

16. Frank

Frank New Member

Bob
    The old law is not binding authority for men today ( Mat. 28:18-20). Jesus fulfiled ALL the things written of him in the old Law ( Luke 24:44). The old law has severed it's purpose which was to bring men to Christ ( Gal. 3:24). It was taken out of the way and abolished by the cross of Christ ( Eph. 2:15,Col. 3:16). Peace with God and salvation are the product of the redemptive work of Christ in the cross, not the law ( Col. 1:20). If the old law were still authority for practice and teaching, I would be going to Jerusalem three times a year, attending the feast of tabernacle, offering incense, making a sin offering, giving a tenth of ALL I possess. However, since the old law has been taken out of the way, I practice and teach by the authority of Christ in the new testament ( Mat. 28:18-20). I study the old testament for affirmation of hope which was promised to Abraham and may be realized through Christ ( Gal. 3:24-29).

Bob, I seriously doubt you keep ALL the old law as one who keeps it has been commanded ( Gal. 5:3,4). The position that the old law is still binding authority for men today is without foundation under the gospel dispensation.

17. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Lions and wolves and false prophets, oh my

Sorry, couldnt help myself

1 PETER 5[8] Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

the devil - a roaring lion- devouring

MATT.7 [14] Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.[15] Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Beware of false prophets - They are ravening wolves

ACTS 20 [29] For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.[30] Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

More wolves and their grievious

EPH.4 [17] This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,[18] Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:[19] Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

Vanity - Clean and unclean - greed

EZEK.22 [23] And the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,[24] Son of man, say unto her, Thou art the land that is not cleansed, nor rained upon in the day of indignation.[25] There is a conspiracy of her prophets in the midst thereof, like a roaring lion ravening the prey; they have devoured souls; they have taken the treasure and precious things; they have made her many widows in the midst thereof.[26] Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.[27] Her princes in the midst thereof are like wolves ravening the prey, to shed blood, and to destroy souls, to get dishonest gain.[28] And her prophets have daubed them with untempered morter, seeing vanity, and divining lies unto them, saying, Thus saith the Lord GOD, when the LORD hath not spoken

Well, there they all are in one passage. And this passage is speaking of the Day jesus returns, so we know whats bein said in that day is the way it is.
    You got your....
    roaring lions - ravening wolves - conspiracy of her prophets - violated MY law - to get dishonest gain, boy is this prevelent today -devoured souls - vanity - uncleanness

HID THEIR EYES FROM MY SABBATHS

I guess the reason the early false prophets would attack GODS sabbath day is that it would be the easiest to convince the people to break. After all, its only a day. In James the WORD says ya break 1 you break them all.YOU ARE A TRANSGRESSOR. I guess it would have been hard for the early false prophets to convince anyone that it was ok to kill.

Return to the mountains.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hmm lets see what Matt 28 "actually says".

Matt 28
    19 "" Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
    20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

Sorry Frank - nothing in Matt 28 about Christ telling his Jewish listeners "The scripture is now OLD don't listen to the Word of God in scripture any more".

What is fascinating is that Matthew HEARS this instruction and what does he publish about WHAT Christ taught?? You guessed it! The book of Matthew.

Also notice what John states as the "teaching of Jesus"

John 14
    15 If you love Me, you will keep My commandments
    30 ""I will not speak much more with you, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me;
    31 but so that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me. Get up, let us go from here.

Here again - he simply records Christ's pre-cross message to His Jewish followers. And in that context it is "Keep My Commandments" - as they would know the commandments of God to be in the days of Christ.

But some have argued that the teaching of Jesus might have been opposed to the commandments of God- perhaps the two were not saying the same things. Certainly the Jewish audience knew the Word of God - but would then be tossing it out pre-Cross?

John 12:
    47 ""If anyone hears My sayings and does not keep them, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world.
    48 "" He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.
    49 "" For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak.
    50 ""I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.''

Hmm here is the "report" that John gives decades afterward - about the "teaching of Christ". It appears to say that Christ is teaching nothing but what the Father has given.

So we should "expect" Christ to be "Affirming the Word of God" not "rejecting it" with His Jewish listeners in Matt 28 and John 14 etc.

But what about after the resurrection - surely there he began to deny the Word of God - the scriptures -- or did He ?? ....

Luke 24
    25 [/b]And He said to them, "O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken!
    26 "Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?"
    27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures. [/b]

Apparently He did not abandon the Word of God even AFTER the cross. Maybe He just said "ignore the Law of Moses" now - and forget what I said before the cross??

Luke 24
    44 Now He said to them, "These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled."
    45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures,
    46 and He said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day,
    47 and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.
    48 "You are witnesses of these things.
    49 "And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you;

Notice never does He call it "the old law" or the "Abolished Law" or the "dead word" -- it is just scripture.

So when Paul says "ALL Scripture is given by inspiration from God AND is used for Doctrine"
    He is also clear that scripture - is still scripture EVEN in the NT.

Frank said --
    And He did so with calling it the "Old Law" and without abolishing scripture.

In fact - He could affirm post cross (as we see in MAtt 28) that the disciples were to teach post-cross NT saints exactly what HE taught them - and so they did - and we see they saying "what HE taught them" in Matt, Mark, Luke and John. The PRE-Cross statements of Christ.

But then - some have speculated that the "only thing" written in scripture was "predictions about the Messiah" - as does Frank here

Again. Just as Matt 28 said nothing about "the scripture being old or done away" so also Eph 2 and Col 3 say nothing about "The Word of God being abolished and done away". In fact - they don't even say that about the Law of God.

In Christ,

Bob

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True. No "commandment" NT or OT is a Method of salvation. Christ alone justifies - and saves.

The Law of God was never given as a means of salvation - either the commands in the NT or the commands in the OT - none could "save".

You seek to attack the Word of God as given in scripture by using a principle that applies to commandments given in BOTH the NT and OT. That is not a compelling form of argument.

As it turns out - Christ the Creator is God. He is the "Same" in the OT and in the NT. His Word remains as written in both. Perhaps we can review that in more detail in the future.

Your argument above is in essence "you would not know that the sacrifices and annual feasts associated with them were ended at the cross IF you did not chuck the word of God out the window wholesale".

My argument is two-part.

#1. No command is given by Christ or the NT apostles to do such a thing.

#2. Heb 10:4-12 spells out clearly for us - the end of the sacrificial system WITHOUT asking us to dismiss the Word of God - Scripture.

This has been pointed out repeatedly in discussions with other board members who themselves have stated (like you)that they would not know about this Heb 10:4-12 instruction regarding sacrifices and the annual feasts associated with them - if they could not toss out the Law of God in bulk as a starting point.

But such an argument given to someone that actually read Heb 10:4-12 would never be "compelling".

The fact that there ARE predictions about the work of the Messiah in the OT - is not a basis for nullifying and abolishing the text that ALSO addresses many other subjects.

Lev 19:18 "Love your neighbor as yourself" is a fine example of an OT text that "can not" be "abolished" at the cross - YET it was fulfilled perfectly by Christ.

And though God tells us that He made the world in 6 days and rested the 7th in Gen 1-2:3 we are still not "told" to delete or abolish or ignore or refute or reject that teaching of God in the NT.

That view is flawed in several areas.

#1. As already noted - Heb 10:4-12 already spells out the purpose of specifc predictive laws regarding the ceremonial forms specific to sacrifices and offerings and how they terminate at the cross.

#2. Paul had Timothy circumcised in Acts 16 without condemning him to "the realm of the lost".

#3. The point made in Gal 5 had to do with "becoming a Jew" not simply "keeping one Commandment". In Eph 2 we see clearly that the term used for Jews as "the circumcision" it was a keyword that did NOT simply reference keeping ONE command. Paul in Gal 5 is arguing the SAME point we see in Acts 15 where those promoting circumcision among the gentiles are in fact insisting that Gentiles become Jews.

EVEN in the OT - this was not required of Gentile believers. And I think you are "hard pressed" to abolish the Law of Christ the Creator in the Old Testament even using the model you currently follow.

#4. Paul shows clearly that the UNIT of 10 continues authorotatively in the NT - in Eph 6:1-4 saying that the 5th commandment is the first one in that unit "With a promise" and IS still binding.

In Romans 7 Paul AGAIN quotes from the unit of 10 and shows that it continues to "define sin".

In James 2 - James AGAIN quotes from the unit of 10 and says that this will "judge" the saints of the NT. "SO LIVE and SO act as those who ARE to be judged by the Law of Liberty" - which is quoted directly from the OLD Testament unit of 10.

Anyway - I am sure you see where I am going with this. The Word of God "remains" both the NT and the OT Word of Christ the Creator - who "IS the SAME yesterday today and forever" Heb 13.

And "yes" we can read Heb 10:4-12 "EVEN" if we accept that fact. EVEN if we do not wholesale abolish the Word of Christ the Creator saying "IF you Love Me KEEP My Commandments" (Which is itself a quote of the 3rd commandment).

In Christ,

Bob

20. Downsville

Downsville New Member

Hi Thessalonian
    you wrote
    Bob's Sabaath comment is bogus. Jesus had the power to change the law with regard to the sabaath and did. He did not remove the command but changed the day on which it is observed.

I have seach the new testament inside and out looking for verification of the statement you made. I have not found anywhere where Jesus has changed the day or where it is even implied or where anyone in the new testament was keeping sunday as a day of worship. I did however find scripture that says when you worship God through the commandments of men, you worship HIM in vain.Maybe someone could point out ...maybe one scripture that verifies what thessalonians claims to be so. Just one?