1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God's Call

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A recommendation was made on another thread to bring up this discussion:
    (home schooling)

A church search committee has two men to interview to fill the office of pastor.
    During the interview with the first candidate, the board asks the wife "Do you believe God is calling 'YOU' to this church.
    Amy answers, I have prayed about it, and after reading my Bible, I believe that it is God's will for John and our family to move 1,000 to minister in this city, with so few evangelical churches

The same question is asked of the wife of the second candidate. Brenda tells the board "Ten years ago, I believed it was the Lords will for Tom and me to get married. I believe that I should follow my husband as to where he believes God calls him. Tom did ask my advice, and though it will be hard to move 1,000 miles, I see no reason to doubt Tom's calling.

Is Amy any more spirtitual than Brenda?

Salty

#1 Salty, Nov 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2007
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you are talking about our Amy here on the BB...NO WAY!

(sorry Amy, jk) :laugh:

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think both women are spiritual. My husband wasn't a pastor when we married, either.

On the other thread someone mentioned expectations of pastor's wives, and I understand this first hand. I think part of the reason our church called my husband is because they needed me to play the piano!:laugh: I don't mind helping out, but it is impossible to live up to every single person's expectation of me, especially when they see me as a position, not a person.

If my husband were a mailman, I wouldn't be expected to help him deliver mail. If he were a banker, I wouldn't be asked to come in and help balance accounts. But almost every church we visited asked me what I could do for the church. People have a two-for-one mentality sometimes when it comes to ministry.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Hey! :tear:

I thought Amy was more spiritual...just 'cause I like her name. :laugh:

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I don't think the search committee should have ever asked that question of the pastor's wife. In fact, the only expectations that a church should have of the pastor's wife is that she and her husband are together on his response to the call; that she will assume the normal obligations of membership, and will use the her gifts as any other member.

Some wives will jump in with both feet; others will be slower to get involved. Let that be her decision.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I wouldn't call it "spiritual" necessarily - I think both are looking to God for His will in their lives. I've told my DH that I'm willing to go wherever God calls him because his calling is my calling - we're both "one" after all! If God calls him to move to a very hot climate, I'll go - even though I HATE the heat. LOL! If he calls DH to sail off into the sunset to be a sailing missionary, I'd have to pray for God's peace and strength but I'd go. :laugh:

What WOULD be less "spiritual" (using your term) would be a wife who would answer that question as "Well, I have NO desire to move. I have my friends here and I'm happy where I live. I don't want to pull the kids out of school to move a 1000 miles away to someplace that none of us know anyone. I have no choice, though because my husband wants this job badly, so we're going to go but none of us are happy about it."

All I think of is Sarah going with Abraham. Hey - He didn't even tell her where they were going or how long they'd be gone! But she went with him anyway and God blessed her. Atleast we as pastor's wives know where we're going if we do move to follow our husband's calling! LOL!

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Brenda knows her place more than Amy does.

8. skypair

skypair Active Member

Hey!

I thought it was supposed to be like Bill and Hillary --- two for one!! :laugh:

skypair