1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured God's decrees all from the beginning

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm going to tread carefully here because I could easily get in over my head. Contrary to what my children and grandchildren think, I really don't know everything.

I like Chuck Blair's little saying better than the one you suggest. Mainly because I understand the implications related to God's immutability. I'm going to have to think about the implications of yours.

Not only that, brother, but I'm a little intimidated by people who cite the neoplatonic maximal. That's another thing my grandkids think I know about that I don't.

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The problem is what you hold as to the meaning of those terms as well as how they are applied. Unless there is scripture to back up an assumption the assumption is in vain since anyone can take a word or words and try and make doctrine. May I remind you of the JW's and the Mormons.
    Also what you mean by what you state is not clear. Are you saying that He has will every event in all history or just some things?

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believe it was CS lewis that postulated that God is eternally in the present "Now" outside of time, so all things known by Him as all happening 'right now' so nothing that would be future/unknown to him!

Also, God in the person Of Jesus upon the Cross identifed personal fashion with ALL the sins everto be done, so he really does "relate" to his creation, being willingly to die in their stead and behalf!

4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proof verse: Gal. 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An other: Acts 15:18 Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe God does what God does without micromanaging all things yet in the end of it all the ends will have been justified. And here are several verses I believe to support that.

Romans 14:11 For it is written, [As] I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
    Phil 2:10,11 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth; And [that] every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ [is] Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
    Eph. 1:10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; in him:

7. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, sovereignty could definitely be added to this short list. But I thought, surely, those other three would be something all of us agree on. We apparently agree on those dots - just not that we need to connect them.

8. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do I believe that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his own plan or purpose?

Yes. It has a familiar ring to it.

But to say God "directly caused something" is to lead into another discussion altogether.

9. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, the event happened in time. After a necessary preparation period.

But the decreeing of it was from eternity past. I'm too lazy right now (too busy actually) to hunt it up now, but there are two or three verses that come to mind. Shall I look for them?

Or maybe someone else knows the ones I am thinking of.

10. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, my point exactly. This is one of the verses that I was thinking of. Another one is in Romans and, I think, 1 Peter.

11. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Tom, from your OP, do you then imply or seek to engender discussion, that there are things that were not willed nor decreed by God that have occured, are occurring or will occur?

12. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Isn't it wonderful to be known by and to worship GOD!

13. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main thing I was getting at, QF, was that God does not change His mind as a result of unforeseen events or responses. The original cause for the post was someone (not on this board) speaking about "our ever-changing God".

I am certainly willing to explore other areas, as I have time, but that was the original background for my remarks.

14. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a basic truth that I have to admit that I forget. Prepping for my Nehemiah piece I came again across a wonderful short phrase; "The Joy of the LORD is your strength."

BTW, (off topic, I know) that phrase is in the context of believers being overly saddened by their awareness of their own sinful shortcomings. I would love to see a good expositional sermon with that passage, having that verse as the assuring centerpiece.

15. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I would tend to agree with you that God does not change as there is nothing which surprises Him, even in those moments of scripture which seem to indicate that He changed "his mind" or course of action, I would have to say He knew that ahead of "time". Now if someone could PROVE that God changes with respect to what creatures "surprise" him with, the ONLY possibility is that it is the way in which he intended it to be. Personally, that then would (to me) alter the concept of omniscience.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF Open theists are correct, and I DONT think they are, wouldn't they be saying God can self limit Himself to NOT know future events , that he would interect in lionear time as we do?

maybe just as Son became a man nd limited Himself, Godhead themselves could choose that?

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The god of open theism is the creation of man and is not the God of the Bible.

18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Some do say that.

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    jesus could self limit himself, by taking on the limitations inherit with a Human body, but can ALl of the Godhead be able to self limit themselves?

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Two problems with this. One, you have him willing sin...and two, you have God confined to time with your "beginning" phrase.

Other than that, :thumbs: :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.