1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God's name

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Walls, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Walls

Walls New Member

God has many attributes as defined in the scripture. He has provided for everything to have a name, even His son Jesus Christ. Does God Himself have a name and should we call Him by this name? If so where can we find this in the scripture?

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Jesus gave us the example in Matthew when he said, 'In this manner... Our Father... who art in heaven...'

He's our Daddy. Abba.
    Isn't that the most wonderful thing! I'm a child of the King! Creator of the universe!

Diane

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

God may or may not have a name, I don't know. But as Diane said Jesus told us to call Him Father.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

God has a lot of names:

YHWH
    God
    Most High God
    Etc.

And yes, we should call him by his name.

5. David Mark

David Mark New Member

Yesterday, my manager who is out of state called and asked us to do a project. He stated that we were to contact certain people and tell them that we were acting on his behalf. My manager is a high ranking official in the company.

We efficiently used our managers name as we contacted those who were key to the project.

The project went perfectly and we accomplished everything he asked and he is pleased with us.

But there is one who is in heaven, who has many names and in my mind, they all point to the one and only God.

I've learned the value of carefully using the name of someone who has authority.

Dave.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    in Exodus God gave Moshe insight into the primary name, the intimate name, the name that is so special it could never be written. YHWH.

In Jacobean English, that is often translated "Jehovah" in our bibles and hymns. I always pronounce it "ha-YaH-WeH" (same syllables so it works in songs) in my prayers, etc.