1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God's Not Dead

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Nov 12, 2017.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined not to know anything among you, except Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

"There seems to me to have been twice as much done in some ages in defending the Bible as in expounding it, but if the whole of our strength shall henceforth go to the exposition and spreading of it, we may leave it pretty much to defend itself. I do not know whether you see that lion—it is very distinctly before my eyes; a number of persons advance to attack him, while a host of us would defend the grand old monarch, the British Lion, with all our strength. Many suggestions are made and much advice is offered. This weapon is recommended, and the other. Pardon me if I offer a quiet suggestion. Open the door and let the lion out; he will take care of himself. Why, they are gone! He no sooner goes forth in his strength than his assailants flee. The way to meet infidelity is to spread the Bible. The answer to every objection against the Bible is the Bible."

Charles Spurgeon

Use the bible, it will defend itself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's nothing wrong using commentaries when preparing a sermon for the congregation of believers.

But an atheist is not a believer, so using an outside source to witness would be an enormous faux pas, imo.

God quickens the dead to life via His word, His gospel, not commentaries.

Hit atheists with the word of God, and nothing else needs added.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Christ is mentioned in the Quran and in Josephus' writings. Two outside sources witness to His existence as a man. So you can use that. But always start and stop with the word of God.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes thats another good argument learned from a book.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I would never use commentaries with an atheist. However, good apologetics books can make an atheist think. However only the Holy Ghost can convert the soul.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct; and that faith that the Holy Spirit works comes by hearing the Gospel.

Not by hearing man's thoughts about the Gospel.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. You don't get to pretend that those of us who are pushing you to prioritize the scriptures as being against books.

Why do you ignore that the atheism is a position founded on a choice, not on evidence or lack of evidence?

You are trying to make atheist encounters a battle of wits and arguments instead of encounters with God. Listen, in the earliest years of coming to faith - shortly after I came out of agnosticism and before I gained wisdom - I would debate atheist acquaintances since I was quite familiar with the latest apologetics arguments, as well as the classic ones. I actually won a lot of debates, but did not win anyone to Christ. It appealed to my ego and made me feel powerful and important, but it did nothing for anyone else. But I began to get quite frustrated because I didn't see any converts. Certainly my debate opponents would see that God was real through my ability to win the arguments! Right? Wrong.

Then I thought about how I made my journey from agnosticism to faith in Christ. While I spent a lot of time on apologetic arguments and reading books like Evidence that Demands a Verdict, I actually came to faith by reading and studying the scripture - not through arguments. As I read, I began to understand the broader themes of scripture and thinking profound thoughts that did not originate with me. I knew I had some mental gifts, but the understanding I was gaining was well beyond my capabilities. I was thinking about this experience late one night and realized I was being taught by Someone much greater than me. I consciously yielded to the Teacher and asked for His continued help, and He took me completely through the scriptures over the course of months, and I became a believer before we finished.

Apologetics has its place when you are dealing with certain issues, but it is NOT evangelism and will NOT being anyone to faith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with using books as suggested here is that it becomes a war of sources. For example, sure Josephus mentioned Jesus but even in the mentioning Josephus was not a Christian. Sure the Quran mentions Jesus, but they also deny His divinity. We can find just about anything in books. @evangelist6589 even found one that denies Jesus' words concerning divorce. In this day, and with the internet resources out there, we cannot fight this battle worldly ways.

Instead we should, IMHO, use the example Christ set out for us. Be a friend, love these people. Show them the gospel of Jesus Christ as you explain the gospel message. That is truly enough.

In the example of my friend who was formerly an atheist, I never argued against his position. I never tried to prove the Bible. Instead I simply walk with him through the gospel in various ways. I told him what the Scripture said. I told him of my own experience. I bought him a Bible. And I left the converting to God.

The problem with using worldly ways is that they often fail. One may be "converted" by saying a prayer, or being placed "under the Law" (as WOTM suggests), or through a motivation not to be condemned to Hell, or by being convinced it is the most reasonable choice. But all of these "methods" fail because it is not repentance from the flesh but "conversion" through it.

Trust in the power of the Spirit and be faithful to the gospel message, and make disciples of men.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know even John MacArthur wrote a book defending the Bible. Look when I open air preach I use nothing but the scripture because it alone has the power to change lives. However this is not to say that apologetic books are not valuable in defending the Bible, because they are.

I am sure glad that my church sees the value in reading books. In Mens discipleship we often study books. In Sunday school we study Bible books and watch DVD's.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The scriptures alone has the power to change lives and why I only open air preach using it. HOWEVER this is not to say that apologetics books are not valuable and cannot lead an atheist to Christ. How many have come to Christ as a result of the book "More than a Carptender?" by Josh McDowell? Lots...

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The thousands of churches that use WOTM are not going to throw it out. It would certainly be easier to throw out your opinion on the matter.

13. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, I have a similar story, but it took me 12 years to get past arguments and have faith.

I must mention that you just used something that is utterly nonsensical. How can you come to faith, the conviction of things not seen and the assurance of things hoped for (Hebrews 11:1), through a clever argument? It is impossible to have unseen certainty and future assurance through clever arguments.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you would be surprised. While some certainly use WOTM there are also many who are strong on doctrine. I know we often talk of churches who have abandoned Scripture in favor of such programs but there are plenty of Bible believing churches out there who follow the Great Commission and share the gospel of Jesus Christ.

15. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Name one person who has claimed that there is no value in reading books... Just one.

Otherwise, stop being childish and purposely misrepresenting what people are saying here.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just made a statement that I am sure glad my church sees the value in reading books.

17. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So did Thomas Jefferson who said, “I cannot live without books.”

However, Jefferson took a penknife to the Bible to remove Scriptures He thought inaccurate, excessive, didn’t like, or met some other definition he thought appropriate.

There is a single difference between the assembly reading a book on some mater of the faith and practice compared to using a book on one not in the assembly.

It is called - belief.

Until one believes, the only book that matters is the Bible.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the press the book gets. Compared to the scripture, it is a very small amount. Moreover, I sincerely doubt that most people who credit that book an an influential part of their journey to God put all of the credit on the book.

Listen, no one is saying that books cannot be helpful, but that shouldn't be your focus. You keep wanting to de-personalize (de-incarnate) the gospel message. Why?

19. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must have miscommunicated or perhaps you misunderstand what you have quoted. I was making the case AGAINST clever arguments as a means to faith.

20. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the context of that statement, you are insinuating that those of us who don't agree with your approach do not. If you are truly that clueless about what you write and communicate, you should not be trying to speak for Jesus to those who are biased against Him. You will only confirm their worst opinions.