1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

God's preserved, inerrant and inspired Word.

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Jim1999, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I don't think anyone can explain what it means. To me, it would mean that God wrote the manuscript and miraculously handed it down to man. He could have don that, but he used humans instead. Since God chose to use flawed humans to put pen to paper that the what you say is right -- one version cannot be lifted up above the others as the perfect word of God. The original ten commandments on the original tablets wouldn't be flawed because God put those down Himself. I do think some can be discarded as not even close to the perfect word though.

The very fact that we quibble over the translation of of and in means that human interpretation (maybe even interference) entered the picture. I think it is fascinating to compare the differences side by side. Most all the time -- when I look at the meaning, I see no difference in meaning, just different phrasology. I've got to think for most average students, like myself, this is true.

This doesn't take away from the fact that I believe that God's word is inspired and inerrent.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the English 0f 400 years ago, "turtle" could mean either a reptile or a bird, depending upon the context. I have heard, but cannot verify, that the bird was called "turtle" because its eggs resemble those of some species of turtle. Thus, the KJV is not in error here. However, it DOES show why God caused newer versions in contemporary language to be made.

3. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WE have faith IN Christ. Christ is GOD, and as such, has no faith. Insteada faith, He has POWER. Insteada hope, He has REALITY. Insteada wish, He has KNOWLEDGE.

WE have faith in Someone whom we haven't yet seen, but we know Christ has seen all and knows all. Therefore, He has no faith, but instead, has sure knowledge, and the power to do anything. That's why Gal. 2:20 is about our faith IN Christ.

4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please note, Jim, that it was the advocates of a certain incorrect doctrine that took this thread off-topic.

Aside from typos and printers' errors, most valid versions have few, if any, outright mistranslations. I believe that in GOD'S sight, each is perfect for its intended purpose. Now, if the translation of Greek and Hebrew was cut-and-dried, with every Hebrew or Greek word/phrase having only one English meaning, there would be many fewer English Bible translations, but we must live with what's before us...and that means there are many correct translation possibilities.

The perfect, inerrant BV(S) for anyone is that from which he/she can read with understanding as provided by the Holy Spirit.

5. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

If there has ever been a thread that really revealed how weak many of our modern day Baptists are it's this one. The OP made by Jim still hasn't been answered in a straight forward way yet by anyone defending MV bibles. I thank God that I have a trust in the Word of God in a way that ya'll can't even comprehend. I would like to say that I am just giving up on all you and that I will leave you alone and stop bothering you but I just can't. I still believe that God is able to provide us with a perfect translation of his Word that doesn't contradict istself or have errors within its pages. I hope that you will someday realize this too. May God increase your faith in his great love and provision for us.

6. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

Jim I don't blame you for wanting to close this thread it is a troubling one to those who believe in MV bibles as being perfect and inerrant and those who deny the inspiration of the KJV. I am sure that most of the moderators would probably like to see it closed also.

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Closed as requested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.